Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mechanic salery in Ireland?

Options
  • 28-09-2007 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

well lads.
    Any mechanics around? I just started an apprentiship the other day and was wondering what a fully qualified mechanic will net per week? On an average basis?
    Cheers;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It depends on who you work for. Some dealers are notoriously scabby and others are quite generous. There is also the bonus system (in some garages) whereby you get a 'bonus' for finishing a job ahead of time - if a job is allocated 2 hours and you manage it in 1.5, then you still get paid for 2 hours work. It can work in reverse in some places.

I've no idea what a mechanic earns in today's world, but 7/8 years ago, a qualified mechanic, in the dealer I worked for, was getting in excess of IR£22k, plus bonus and OT - not to mention the nixers ;)

I won't hazard a guess as to what mechanics are on today - hopefully there's a mechanic or two on Boards that can provide an accurate figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I'm a 4th year apprentice (qualified November!!!!) so can't comment yet on what you will be earning. I'm taking home between 4&500 a week (can't divulge too much;) ) but I'm pretty sure some of the older, more experienced are taking home nearly twice what I'm getting. I am with a decent-paying employer currently, who is a main dealer but is only a small operation (8 employees in total) I was with a very big main dealer and they were the most tight-fisted shower of c**ts I ever met!

When I started off all I got was the basic 150 a week, minus a tenner for the tool-box I was supplied with. Pretty crappy wage when you have to hand 90 of it over in rent:mad:

EDIT: Oh, and congrats on your new career choice - let the receding hair-line commence!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Well im only getting €180 so i supose really €140 because of father bills:rolleyes:. Im working with dealer so at least its not some awl lad down a dirty lane way with a few slege hammers and vice grips.

One of the polish lads im with is only getting €235 a week, felt sorry on the poor chap:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Ah the big bucks! i was getting €161 1st year panel beater.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Interesting, because when I was taking on 1st years in the mid to late 1990s, they were getting IR£70 per week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If I was you I'd concentrate on auto electrics, that's where the real money is to be made and not as hard, physically anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Was making £24 as a first year electrician in the early eighties. :D

dingding wrote:
    Was making £24 as a first year electrician in the early eighties. :D
    You made me feel a whole lot better! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

I started a Panel Beating apprenticeship in 1999 and my starting wage was £79.20 p/w.

So out of all this, qualified your talking €600-800 net a week?

• Advertisement

Around that - the previous garage I worked for (BIG main dealer) was only giving out about 500 a week to the qualified lads, as I said - I got lucky with my current employer.
    I'm from a small town, if you get work in the cities or bigger towns, you would be able to earn more.

If you want to branch off into auto electric, get 1 or 2 of Tom Denton's books - "Automobile electrical and electronic systems" is a good place to start.

land9 wrote:
    If you want to branch off into auto electric, get 1 or 2 of Tom Denton's books - "Automobile electrical and electronic systems" is a good place to start.

Whats auto electric stuff about?

Modern mechanics is divided into 2 groups - mechanical and electrical. The mechanical aspect is the most obvious and you can "get by" by being good at this. If you wanna advance in your career, you'll need to get good with the electrics. It covers all the electrical components and their operation and also goes into diagnostics, which is where the smart mechanics try to move.

You'll probably hear this from your instructors when you go off on block release anyway!

Try and get your hands on at least 1 of denton's books, some of it won't make sense til you put it to practice it but it's never too early to start learning!

land9 wrote:
    Modern mechanics is divided into 2 groups - mechanical and electrical. The mechanical aspect is the most obvious and you can "get by" by being good at this. If you wanna advance in your career, you'll need to get good with the electrics. It covers all the electrical components and their operation and also goes into diagnostics, which is where the smart mechanics try to move.

You'll probably hear this from your instructors when you go off on block release anyway!

Try and get your hands on at least 1 of denton's books, some of it won't make sense til you put it to practice it but it's never too early to start learning!
    One of the mechanics was showing me a few things about diagnostics the other day.
    So when i become qualified i can then advance onto electrical end of things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Two Stripes

I presume you are doing your apprentice ship in Kilkenny? I'm originally from there what garage are you doing it with? I'm currently in my second year of HVM with the army.

I presume you are doing your apprentice ship in Kilkenny? I'm originally from there what garage are you doing it with? I'm currently in my second year of HVM with the army.
    Barry Pender, he does Ford, on the Dublin/Carlow road.
    Its a grand spot.
    BTW are you David O Connor?
    If Im right, i used to go to the same school as you and you I live down the street from you.

Advertisement