Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anybody using Shell V-Power etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I read a few pages and then got bored - it seems to prove what I've thought all along - it's just a marketing ploy. Maybe, just maybe there is an increased gain in fuel consumption but the cost far out weighs any l/100km benefit.

As for the coking up - it's rare to see a car coked up these days (except for the Mitsubishi GDI engine in the previous model Volvo S40).

I'd be inclined to just use petrol that meets the manufacturers specification as laid out in a cars owners manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I used to use it; I'd notice about 20 extra miles out of a tank but that was offset by the cost of it in the first place!
    It's probably only necessary in high performance cars like the mitsu evo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Shell v-power is still only 95 octane anyway so I don't see any point in using it.

I may switch to maxol E5 (5% bio fuel / 95 normal petrol) as it's 99 octane.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Ha? 99 octane? Can you use it in any car / where to get it / how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Ha? 99 octane? Can you use it in any car / where to get it / how much?

Many cars since around 1995 can use up to 10% mixture of ethanol, and more at 5%. Maxol have a good website on it, and the best thing would be to contact or email whoever makes your car and ask them about it.

I think Maxol are replacing all unleaded tanks with the E5 fuel around the country. They have said themselves that it is rated as 99RON.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pugsley2007

Over the years I have heard of people (mistakenly) putting diesel into petrol tanks, petrol into diesel tanks, using low octane in high octane cars, and even a couple of teenagers who added two litres of used crisp 'n dry to the tank of their mother's 07 BMW because they had seen someone doing it on the telly - none of which seemed to have damaged the engine.

Most research seems to indicate that the type of fuel used makes a difference, but never one that could be justified by the added cost.

So, I'm off down to the chippy for a refill.:

Advertisement