Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preserving apples in some cooked form? Without sugar>

• 28-09-2007 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Recently I moved into the countryside (co. Limerick), and have some apple trees in the garden.

The apples are mostly good for cooking rather than eating. My wife cooks apple tarts and pies, and they're nice, but we won't eat the entire harvest like that; besides, we would like to have something for the winter.

We do not have a large fridge, too.

What can we do to preserve the apples? Jam seems most obvious, but how do we store it without a big fridge? The only building we have apart from the house is the garage - it may not be so warm, but the garage air stinks of oil and gasoline.

Besides, I woud not want to eat the big amounts of sugar that go into a typical jam. Is it possible to make some form of jam without sugar? Or we could use fructose - but where can we get it?

Ideally, I'd like to make something without sugar in some form of (commercially available) packaging that could b stored at room temperature. Or else be so strong that the jam could stay in the garage and not pick up the smell. What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jam should be stored in air tight containers so smelly garages shouldnt matter so much.

If they are cooking apples then you are probably going to have to introduce sugar..no matter what i think.

There are apple vinegar's and wines and ciders that you could consider also.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Have you got a freezer? Freeze cooked apple.
    Jam doesn't need to be stored in the fridge.

I think apples can be stored in a dry cool dark container - a cardboard box in the garage. Separated with hay or shredded paper, they will keep if the are not touching.

Advertisement