Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom dsl contention

Options
  • 28-09-2007 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hey has Eircom dsl been a bit slow for anyone else over the last few months?
    I'm on the 3 mbit package and live in Nenagh.
    Before I would always get at least 300 kbs when connected to heanet (server in Ireland with loads of bandwidth) but now I get 100kbs - 150kbs.
    This is only at peak times, around 12 - 1 am things start to improve.

Looks like contention is now an issue in this area. There has been a fairly big increase in people with dsl around here.

I wonder do Eircom plan to upgrade their network to cope with more customers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I think it's gonna become more pervasive as everyone and their grandmother has internet now. Even in the quieter parts of the country people are starting to get with the program. I'm basically in the same situation as you tuxy, only around 12am-1am do things improve. =/

If there was a zero contention line I would get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm considering downgrading to a slower package. No point paying for bandwidth I'm not receiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I'm in Cork, I have the same package (3mb) and I have no problems with it. As a matter of fact it's been quite some time since the last slowdown that I can remember.

/ touch's wood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

tuxy wrote:
    Hey has Eircom dsl been a bit slow for anyone else over the last few months?
    I'm on the 3 mbit package and live in Nenagh.
    Before I would always get at least 300 kbs when connected to heanet (server in Ireland with loads of bandwidth) but now I get 100kbs - 150kbs.
    This is only at peak times, around 12 - 1 am things start to improve.

Looks like contention is now an issue in this area. There has been a fairly big increase in people with dsl around here.

I wonder do Eircom plan to upgrade their network to cope with more customers.

Same issues here in Ballivor, Co Meath.

3mb connection but only performs like one when there are fewer people online.

Quite fustrating at times:( :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Guys, I don't believe that this is really related to contention per se - it has probably more to do with how quickly eircom can upgrade the network back from the DSLAM to the core of their network as the traffic grows. Think about it, when a DSLAM is set up they probably put in a finite level of capacity back to the core (probably an E3 - 34Mbps or maybe for larger exchanges an STM1 - 155Mbps). Then, as customers get connected and start using that capacity, it eventually starts to fill up at peak hours (usually between 8pm and 11pm). So eircom need to keep track of that and plan an upgrade to the link before the traffic reaches the level of the line speed. It is likely that with the rate of growth over the last year, they simply have not been able to keep up with it.

Even with Magnet or one of the providers who offer "zero contention" - if their customers grow and the usage of those customers grows, then the time will come when they have to upgrade the capacity of the link back from the DSLAM to the core of their network to support that traffic. Same as eircom, if they do not increase their network capacity fast enough, then some links will get congested for a while until they are eventually upgraded.

I think you will find that eircom will be tracking customer care statistics (as well as their own network stats.) to see what lines are reaching congestion. While they may not be able always to upgrade them immediately, you can be sure that they will be planning this. So my guess is that in your cases you will see a sudden improvement some evening in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Good explanation Grommet. But it is really horrible now. As I said I am on the 3 mbit package but am getting 30kbs at 4pm. :(
    I guess it would be totally pointless to complain to Eircom?

Advertisement