Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why you would not drive this?

Options
  • 29-09-2007 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

BMW M3 LEFT HAND DRIVE (2002)
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=717787

A lot cheaper than anyother M3 with even less Km.

If you were going to buy a used M3, why not this one, because it is left hand drive ?
    I have asked an insurance company for this, they asked me an extra 130 euro per year because the wheel is on the left. No big deal.

But really having the wheel on the left and driving on the left is very nice and a lot easier than having the wheel on the right.
    My cars are left hand drive and I have no problem to drive in Ireland.

I am sure this M3 will stay here for weeks...

What is your opinion/experience ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'd be allergic to a LHD ordinary car but something like this- why not

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I drive a LHD at the moment (two actually) but they are vans, so I sit high up. If and when the need to overtake arises I can see over traffic and go ahaed ...unless I'm behind a truck or tractor ... then I'm pretty much snookered.

The main reason (my main reason, anyway) for getting an EMM 3 would be overtaking ... kinda difficult when you're dragging your arse along the wrong side of the road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mick.fr wrote:
    But really having the wheel on the left and driving on the left is very nice and a lot easier than having the wheel on the right.
    My cars are left hand drive and I have no problem to drive in Ireland.
    LHD in Ireland is ok at best; RHD is always better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Actually I wouldn't mind driving one of this. Drove LHD for years and haven't found it very hard, is just a matter of getting used to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Tolls, car parks, etc.. I can think of a lot more reasons to not own one than own one. It may be cheaper but everyone will know thats why you bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

AntiVirus wrote:
    It may be cheaper but everyone will know thats why you bought it.

My first impression of seeing an Irish reg LHD drive car is actually that the person must spend quite the bit of time on the continent, which makes the LHD purchase seem more extragavant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

IIRC that particular car was reported on bmw driver as being a bit dodgy, something to do with the mileage or price.

But anyway no I would not own a LHD, wouldn't mind driving one tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

AntiVirus wrote:
    Tolls, car parks, etc.. I can think of a lot more reasons to not own one than own one. It may be cheaper but everyone will know thats why you bought it.

Well everyone knows everybody in Ireland is driving a car that belongs to the bank, like the house, even the clothes for kids that are bought with credit cards.
    So when I see a guy driving a brand new 520i or whatever I am not impressed at all. This is just another car which has been taken from the mortgage of the house most of the time.

So yes I really do not mind driving a car that I got for a cheaper price, because at least my car belongs to me and not to the bank :-)

mick.fr wrote:
    Well everyone knows everybody in Ireland is driving a car that belongs to the bank, like the house, even the clothes for kids that are bought with credit cards.
    So when I see a guy driving a brand new 520i or whatever I am not impressed at all. This is just another car which has been taken from the mortgage of the house most of the time.

So yes I really do not mind driving a car that I got for a cheaper price, because at least my car belongs to me and not to the bank :-)

Anyone who assumes everyone driving a brand new 520i etc has borrowed money to pay for it, those same people will assume you've borrowed money to pay for your’s, just you couldn't afford to borrow any more.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Who cares what people think?

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    Who cares what people think?

The thread starter does. Incase you haven't read the title properly I'll repost it for you

"Why you would not drive this?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

AntiVirus wrote:
    The thread starter does. Incase you haven't read the title properly I'll repost it for you

"Why you would not drive this?"

Actually, that title implies the OP is looking for practical reasons why the car wouldn't be a feasible option in Ireland. Which is completely different to the OP looking for people's opinions about cars, finances, or style. So kbannon is quite right in his assertion, and I agree with him from the asthetics point of view.

To the OP, as AntiVirus said, Multistory Car Parks, and Toll Roads will be a right PITA in a left hooker, as will overtaking. But then again, there is that special feeling when you hop into the wrong side of a nice car, and take it out for a spin. I get that feeling when driving my mate's German import 911 Carrera, and it makes the whole experience feel more magical.

Another point for not buying the car is,

When you go to sell it, it could take you along time to shift. You could end up losing more by buying this than if you where to buy a 2002 LHD M3.

Think about it. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

mick.fr wrote:
    BMW M3 LEFT HAND DRIVE (2002)

I am sure this M3 will stay here for weeks...

Weeks:eek:!!! That M3 has been there for over a year (am thinking of buying one next year so have been windows shopping quite a bit). It has changed garages a few times but its the same car no doubt. I get suspicious when they hang around for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pugsley2007

I clicked through, then compared the LHD with all the RHD versions and concluded - anyone who spends that kind of money on a five year old BMW is mad in any case.

Don't all the ads seem a bit desperate? They all scream to me: Hey, I've got this really expensive car, which I'm bored with/can't afford and else wants it either, so I'll add on a big long list of accessories and pray that someone takes it off my hands.

Maybe a few more honest ads would help shift things quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

garages tend to swap cars very often the reason you probably saw the same car advertised by diferent garages.

The car will probably end up being sold to someone that is not from Ireland to bring it back home, but it has to have a really good price, cause Ireland is meant to be very expensive in this market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Firstly, if you were to buy this car, you would have difficulty selling it on. Who in their right mind wants a left hooker? How would you know if the warranty work was done or not? There are a few issues with the big end bearing etc from earlier M3s. This can cost big money to put right. Also the car is very poorly specced. It has no Sat Nav, TV or Harmon Kardon. No heated seats either, all of these are must haves on an M3.
    Then you have to think how impractical a left hooker is, overtaking is more dangerous, and as said on a previous post, tool booths and car parks are tricky also. If you really want an M3, buy a decent one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think if you want a LHD M3 then there is only one...
    bmw-e30-m3-side2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

A good E30 M3 will now cost almost as much as an E46.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

peasant wrote:
    The main reason (my main reason, anyway) for getting an EMM 3 would be overtaking ... kinda difficult when you're dragging your arse along the wrong side of the road :D

Actually I found LHD to be less of a hindrance in something with a bit of poke like an M3 or Delta Integrale as you can hang back a bit to get a better view and use the grun to make up the difference.

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote:
    Actually I found LHD to be less of a hindrance in something with a bit of poke like an M3 or Delta Integrale as you can hang back a bit to get a better view and use the grun to make up the difference.

yes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I'm always dubious of imported cars being sold by dealers. Exporting a car to another country is a great way of hiding a dodgy history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

That e46 M3 is a US import , Mileage is definitely bogey as american cars usually rack up loads of mileage (albeit driving 60mph on highways)

Also on the LHD issue , driving on a back road in IRL with LHD you will almost always be too close to the centre of the road without strong concentration on road positioning. Its very dangerous not only wiht regard to overtaking but also road positioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AntiVirus wrote:
    ?? He's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

AntiVirus wrote:

Can you explain this ?
    I am lost as to what your getting at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

C_Breeze wrote:
    Also on the LHD issue , driving on a back road in IRL with LHD you will almost always be too close to the centre of the road without strong concentration on road positioning. Its very dangerous not only wiht regard to overtaking but also road positioning.

I'd like to dispute that ...

I drive my van and the camper further left than any RHD car ...precisely because I'm sitting "on edge" and can therefore judge exactly how far left i can go ...plus I drive on a lot of narrow roads (and my wife just doesn't look as good when she's ashen faced :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

peasant wrote:
    I'd like to dispute that ...

I drive my van and the camper further left than any RHD car ...precisely because I'm sitting "on edge" and can therefore judge exactly how far left i can go ...plus I drive on a lot of narrow roads (and my wife just doesn't look as good when she's ashen faced :D )

Yes exactly, "we" stick more closely to the road than the right wheel drivers who are always in the middle of the road.
    When we overtake a bicycle for example, this is a lot easier having the wheel on the left, because we are closer.
    Regarding the overtaking, there is nothing more dangerous really. This is just an urban legend from the insurance companies.

I have been driving for 4 years in Ireland with left hand drive, and I am telling you driving like this is the best way because everything is on the same side as your wheel. Well ok the parking thing on the right is a pain...

I have rented a few times Vans and cars in Ireland and UK, I have no problem driving them, but it is less practical.

Plus most of us are using their right hand to do many things, should not this be easier :-)

Anyway regarding this car here and the comments, yes that's right, the car is very poorly equipped. Even the gearbox is manual, which is a shame for such engine, unless you do street racing.

RobAMerc wrote:
    Can you explain this ?
    I am lost as to what your getting at ?

How can a LHD to be less of a hindrance to a RHD M3 when over taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

AntiVirus wrote:
    How can a LHD to be less of a hindrance to a RHD M3 when over taking?

I think you got the wrong end of the stick there, AntiVirus. The way I read it, RobAMerc found LHD not much of an issue when driving a fast LHD car. Compared to driving a slow LHD car. As in LHD M3 is grand, LHD 1.4 VW Golf is not good. All of this purely in relation to overtaking - nothing else

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    I think you got the wrong end of the stick there, AntiVirus. The way I read it, RobAMerc found LHD not much of an issue when driving a fast LHD car. Compared to driving a slow LHD car. As in LHD M3 is grand, LHD 1.4 VW Golf is not good. All of this purely in relation to overtaking - nothing else

Fair enough but he was quoting peasant who was taking about buying a RHD M3.

Advertisement