Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Theatre Festival

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Forever Young - great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Dudess wrote: »
    Forever Young - great song.

Funnily enough that was the last song the young@heart sang last night. Great show. I saw the documentary about them on C4 last year which was very powerful and moving but their performance last night was even better than I expected. I hope they come back again and do a bigger venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Wannabe Deise

18:36

I bailed out of Long Day's Journey ... on Friday night. hung around outside trying to sell but many others were doing the same. I persuaded one guy to stay and try and sell his when he said he was giving up. He ended up selling his. Eventually I resigned myself to fact that I wouldn't e able to shift them so I started offering them (mine + 2 from a woman who went in) to people for free. I ended up giving my ticket to a guy for free even though he made a move for his wallet. Doh! Gave the other 2 to a young couple on the street. 35 euro down the tube which combined with my abandoned ticket for "Is this about sex?" brings my total wastage to 57 euro. I'll be more careful next year.
    Saw the History Boys on Saturday night. This was my first exposure to this play so separating the production from the text is difficult. I thought the production was quite good esp. in the first half. However I would have serious reservations about Bennett's play. There is some good stuff in it on purpose of education but I found the whole sexual thing a bit self-indulgent on his part. Some of the historical debates are quite patronizing to the audience I found.
    On Sunday I saw Fragments. I am relatively speaking a Beckett virgin and approach him with some caution. I really enjoyed this show esp. Rough for Theatre I and Act without Words II (?) - both of these very funny. I found my attention going during Rockaby however.
    Also on Sunday I saw Road to Nowhere. You have to admire the performers and many of the performances but as a show I wasn't overly impressed overall.
    On Monday I went to Uncle Vanya at the Gate. I enjoyed it. I thought Anthony Calf was brilliant as Astrov. Catherine Walker is gorgeous (her hair, her dresses … she had my full attention). Owen Roe was good overall but less than convincing when he was playing drunk. I have not been impressed by Cathy Belton in the last few shows I have seen her in. I get a sense of her trying too hard or something.
    Going to the Playboy tomorrow night and will definitely be going to Woman and Scarecrow after the review it got on the View on Tuesday night.

Advertisement