Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

• 29-09-2007 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭

So have any of you gotten the new Nightwish album yet? I'm not sure if it has been released in Ireland yet, but I know it has been released in most of Europe. I got my copy in Finland on Wednesday and I listened to it for the first time yesterday. While it does not have the powerful epic voice of Tarja, the music is darker and heavier than ever before. The opening opus that is The Poet and the Pendulum is an awe inspiring piece of music, which marks a new progressive style in Tuomas Holopainens compositions. The Marcelo Cabuli inspired track Master Passion Greed, is another stand-out track which shows a different side of the band. Anette Olzon is the new voice of the band, and she is fantastic. She sings the ballads like Eva softly and with emotion, and equally scream out the angry words of The Poet and the Pendulum.

I was privileged to be at the album launch concert in Tavastia Klubi in Helsinki on Wednesday night, where myself and Oeneus from these here parts, were the only 2 "foreigners" in attendance. I hadn't heard the new songs before, so it was all the more special for me to hear them for the first time, live being performed by the band. They also performed many old tracks, with Anette being more than capable to fill Tarja's shoes. She is so charismatic on stage and sings with all her heart and soul. By the end of the concert, many were asking "Tarja who?". Even though Dark Passion Play was only released on Wednesday morning, the band were presented with platinum discs for the album sales after just 1 day. After the concert, myself and Oeneus and 2 lovely Finnish ladies snuck into a posh nightclub, and again snuck into the vip area where we drank alongside Marco, Tuomas and Jukka until 4 am. Needless to say, a dream come true for me :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, haven't heard it yet, but I'll probably snap it up when it comes out. Nice that you got to meet the band, I've met them before and even though it was brief they were nice guys. They were very good live too, so I'll be looking forward to seeing them again.

Tell me though, does Marco do much singing on this album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

He does a lot more singing on this album, than on any others. He's on about half of the tracks. He sings most of The Islander alone, with Anette on backing vocals, and sings solely on Master Passion Greed.

That's absolutely excellent to hear. Marco's a fantastic singer, really great voice, and the songs he sings on are some of my favourites. That bit of news has pushed up my excitement about the album considerable, especially as you say he's got a song of his own too. :D

Master Passion Greed is one of the standout tracks. Its almost thrash-like but epic nonetheless. Excellent lyrics too! He also wrote the music for The Islander, which is a folk song. It reminds me of something you'd find on the Wicker Man soundtrack.

Nice. I'll definetly be looking forward to that. I did certainly enjoy the Wicker Man soundtrack.

• Advertisement

Well then, you'd definately like that song. There is an instrumental song on it too called The Last of the Wilds which is trad Finnish music meets trad Irish music. I am still not too sure about it, I reckon after a few more listens I'll be able to judge it properly. Oh and I think I am right in saying the album is being released on monday here and in the UK, so you can pick it up from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Im not a fan in any way of either the band or the genre but I found the new singer a lot easier to listen to than Tarja. I thought this album was lot less dramatic than previous releases. Some relly good riffs.

Yeah, should be it up during the week so. I'll let you know what I think.

How was the beer in Finland by the way?

It was very strong! I was knocked sideways by their vodka measures!

Here are a few pics from the night

Nightwish

Me and Tuomas *curses the damn flash for such a shíte picture*

Oeneus, Marco and myself

Oeneus, Jukka and me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm loving the album so far. There are some fabulous tracks on there. I wasn't too fond of the first single Eva but the second single Amaranth is fantastic!

I'm also loving Sahara and Marco's vocals on Master Passion Greed.
    I think Anette's singing style fits the sound of the band better whereas I would still say that Tarja's a more powerful overall singer, more suited to solo work. When I first heard Nightwish I remember focusing on the singing far more than the overall sound of the band. With this new album it's the opposite, it's all about the songs as a complete package.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Tarja v Anette thread so in closing I highly recommend this album to anyone that's even remotely a fan of Nightwish or Symphonic/Power Metal in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I just listened to the album for the first time yesterday and I was completely blown away by it.

Standouts for me are Master Passion Greed, Sahara and Meadows of Heaven.

At first I thought the boy soprano(s) in TPATP was Anette, but then I copped on. She sounds great on every song and everything is even more epic than before. This is one killer album! Can't wait to see them in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Great news that more often Marco sings on it, he's a class isnger. Cant wait to hear the album!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Haven't heard it yet, can't wait to though. Great band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

First couple of times i wasn't mad on Meadows of Heaven, but now its one of my favorites :D

Nightwish: which old tracks did they cover

At the concert they played Dark Chest of Wonders, She Is My Sin, Nemo, Sacrament of Wilderness, Sleeping Sun, Wishmaster (which sounded better than ever!), Wish I Had an Angel, Slaying the Dreamer and Ever Dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

And a very welcome return for Sacrament Of Wilderness may I add. Christ I'm still so knackered! Have you listened to the instrumental CD yet, Aine? Lots of extra orchestral bits in some songs. It's wicked!

I listened to the instrumental disc for the first time today and its fantastic. Master Passion Greed sounds so aggressive and I was surprised at the difference in Last of The Wilds. I take it, you'll be recovering for quite some time!

No ****! On Thursday night we went out, and took a hipflask with this Finnish Peppermint Vodka stuff that's like 50%Vol, and lacing our beers with it. That went on until 5am until we bumped into two strippers who'd just finished work and invited us to eat some food with them, and spent an hour or so telling us how weird their life is! Fun fun fun! Anyway... back on topic.

Anette's gonna blow your freakin' minds! Man, did she scream her heart out during Slaying The Dreamer. Watch out!

Wow, what a pretty surreal few days you had :D

She was down on her knees on the stage screaming her lungs out. It showed the song in a whole new light. You can check out most of her performances on youtube.

I meant to ask this earlier but how much of the new album did they play? I'd love to see The Poet and the Pendulum played live but at nearly 14 minutes in length, maybe it's a bit too long for a live scenario?

• Advertisement

They played Bye Bye Beautiful, Cadence of her Last Breath, The Poet and the Pendulum, Amaranth, Eva, Sahara and The Islander

Nightwish wrote:
    They played Bye Bye Beautiful, Cadence of her Last Breath, The Poet and the Pendulum, Amaranth, Eva, Sahara and The Islander
    Cheers for that. Looks like they will have a cracking setlist ready when they hit Dublin next April.

Yes, the mix of the old and new is superb. I think they've been rehearsing other stuff too (Dead to the World has been mentioned). I would really love to hear While Your Lips Are Still Red, as Marco sounds incredible.

I just purchased another 2 tickets to see them next year. Belfast and Birmingham have been added to the itinerary along with Dublin.

malice_ wrote:
    I meant to ask this earlier but how much of the new album did they play? I'd love to see The Poet and the Pendulum played live but at nearly 14 minutes in length, maybe it's a bit too long for a live scenario?

Don't be stupid! Poet and the pendulum was by far one of the highlights. I wish it never ended.

Oeneus wrote:
    Don't be stupid!
    :confused: I didn't think I was being stupid at all. When I saw Nightwish two years ago in London the highlight for me was Ghost Love Score but there were people wandering off before it ended and it's only 10 minutes long. That could have been because it was one of the last songs they played, if not the last one, I can't remember but it may also have been to do with the length of the song.

Maybe some people just can't handle the genius!
    But to be fair, long epics have been on the sets of most metal gigs for decades. So what's the big deal?

Frankly I'd find sitting through a Pink Floyd gig a lot more difficult.

Oeneus wrote:
    Maybe some people just can't handle the genius!
    But to be fair, long epics have been on the sets of most metal gigs for decades. So what's the big deal?

Frankly I'd find sitting through a Pink Floyd gig a lot more difficult.
    What I meant from my original question was whether a couple of shorter songs might be put onto the setlist in it's place. It's not a big deal as you put it because Nightwish as we know have a fantastic back catalogue so it's not a case of something of lesser quality being added.
    As for Pink Floyd, I've never really listened to them so I couldn't comment one way or another. I have been stuck listening to mindless guitar w@nk masquerading as epics at gigs in the past which thankfully I doubt Nightwish are going to start doing. :)

A Pink Floyd concert is easier to sit through, than you'd expect!

With TPATP being added to the setlist, means GLS is gone :( I love that song live. Its so uplifting. I am still waiting for the return of Beauty of the Beast. I doubt it'll happen but if the live orchestral show in 2009 goes ahead, it might be played again.

Nightwish wrote:
    A Pink Floyd concert is easier to sit through, than you'd expect!
    Maybe if I was under the influence of something ;)
    Nightwish wrote:
    With TPATP being added to the setlist, means GLS is gone :(
    Damn, I noticed it was missing from the setlist you posted previously. Oh well. At least I got to see them play it live once and it is on th End of an Era DVD.
    Nightwish wrote:
    I am still waiting for the return of Beauty of the Beast.
    It would be great but maybe there's only room for one 10 minute plus epic per setlist :)
    Does anyone know why Nightwish have songs called "Beauty of the Beast" and "Beauty and the Beast"? Was it just a co-incidence?

• Advertisement

One is the fantasy tale, which was basically what Angels Fall First was about, and the other Tuomas wrote as part of his introspective Century Child album. The latter was only played live a few times. I dont know if it translated well onto the stage, as they were very reluctant to play GLS live at first.

Advertisement