Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Well, the subject matter for the song "Beauty And The Beast" was exactly that. Inspired by the Disney movie.

Where's the song "Beauty Of The Beast" I think is a song more about Tuomas himself. I could be wrong, but the subject matter is obviously completely different. there's no connection between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Oh what geeks we are. May I ask, Oeneus, are you going to be at Tampere? I'm seriously considering going.

I sure as hell am! Why Tampere in particular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Got my copy today, but didn't get a chance to listen to it yet. Listening to Pain Of Salvation at the moment.

Easy to get to from here cos Ryanair fly there. However I've just realised I've tickets to another finnish band that day. Oh well, I just have to find another ryanair destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Got the album and I'm loving it. At the minute my favourites from it are Bye Bye Beautiful and The Islander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Got my copy today, but didn't get a chance to listen to it yet. Listening to Pain Of Salvation at the moment.
    Have you not listened to them enough yet? My God man, get the Nightwish album playing post haste!!

:Keith: wrote:
    Bye Bye Beautiful
    I saw the video for that song earlier and thought that Tuomas had done something odd to his hair. Being hungover really affects my eyesight :D

Marco and Emppu are strangely attractive in it too!

malice_ wrote:
    Have you not listened to them enough yet? My God man, get the Nightwish album playing post haste!!

Ah yeah, I was listening to it constantly since Wednesday. It's definetly very good, getting more into it and liking it a lot more now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

Haven't gotten the whole album yet..
    I'm addicted to Amaranth:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I have a friend who's slowly getting into Nightwish after I snuck Ever Dream onto her iPod. She said she loves it and she even sticks it on when we're listening to party music on a Sat night :D

I did the same to my gf but she thinks that Tarja "sounds like a man" even though she likes the song. She said she'd give them more of a chance now that Anette is there... so I'll give her DPP and see what she thinks.

The album is so savage! It does make me miss Tarja more but Anette adds such flare to the band. Dying to know what the setlist will be for Dublin.

It'll probably be similar to what they've been playing live over the past few weeks. The album has entered the Irish charts at #62.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Not bad, where did you find that out? I'm really digging Master Passion Greed. My girlfriend turned out to really like Amaranth, Eva and FTHIOH, she's always playing them especially Amaranth. I know they're the more accessible stuff... but you have to start somewhere :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i have got to hold my hands up and say this album has surprised me.
    i usually write off Nightwish as rubbish, but this is a great album.
    massive sound with the orchestra (which i think is real orchestra??).

i have listened to a bit of old nightwish and tarja, while having a great voice did not always agree with me. but the new girl is great in my opinion.

i have got to hold my hands up and say this album has surprised me.
    i usually write off Nightwish as rubbish, but this is a great album.
    massive sound with the orchestra (which i think is real orchestra??).

i have listened to a bit of old nightwish and tarja, while having a great voice did not always agree with me. but the new girl is great in my opinion.
    What didn't you like about Nightwish in the past? Was it just Tarja's voice? When I first heard them I thought her voice was too over-powering and that the operatic vocal style didn't fit with the music the rest of the band was making.

There was nothing really wrong with Tarja's voice. No doubt about it, during the early days of Nightwish she was a bit of a novice singer to most standards, but she still had something that managed to get them to the popularity that they're at now.

I must admit I do prefer Anette's voice over Tarja anyday because I'm generally not into the whole operatic thing. But out of all the generic sounding operatic voices out there, I'd probably be able to recognise Tarja's voice over any other Opera singers. They all sound the same to me, but Tarja has a slightly more naturally trained sound that gives her a unique little twist of lemon.

Oeneus wrote: »
    There was nothing really wrong with Tarja's voice. No doubt about it, during the early days of Nightwish she was a bit of a novice singer to most standards, but she still had something that managed to get them to the popularity that they're at now.
    I agree it's not that there's anything wrong with her voice but it's the first thing that non-fans will pick up and comment on. I would also like to think that it was Tuomas' songwriting ability that has gained them popularity but I suppose it definitely didn't hurt that Tarja's very easy on the eyes :)
    Oeneus wrote:
    Tarja has a slightly more naturally trained sound that gives her a unique little twist of lemon.
    That's very well put!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

malice_ wrote: »
    What didn't you like about Nightwish in the past? Was it just Tarja's voice? When I first heard them I thought her voice was too over-powering and that the operatic vocal style didn't fit with the music the rest of the band was making.

you pretty much summed it up there.
    while the new singer is great, she compliments the sound better as her vioce is not as over powering.

in my limited knowledge of Nightwish i always thought Tarja was a little bit of a diva :-)

You know, going back listening to some My Dying Bride again, I'm noticing quite a few similarities in lyrics/song titles.

Lyrics in The Islander include 'Light at the end of the world' which is an MDB song and album title, and the song title 'Meadows of Heaven' was a lyric in the song 'For My Fallen Angel'.

• Advertisement

Tuomas is a big My Dying Bride fan which probably provided the inspiration.

Nightwish wrote: »
    Tuomas is a big My Dying Bride fan which probably provided the inspiration.

Yeah, but I never really got any great MDB vibe from Nightwish's music before, so I probably would've have thought they were any great influence on the band untill now.

Well theres no comparison between the 2 musically, but lyrically I think they can be quite similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 gal_anonim

I will probably getr lynched over it but after hearing the bit from your tube I still prefer Tarya. Her voice was much stronger and suited fot their music.
    But I'll definitely get the album and give them one more chance ;)

gal_anonim wrote: »
    I will probably getr lynched over it but after hearing the bit from your tube I still prefer Tarya. Her voice was much stronger and suited fot their music.
    But I'll definitely get the album and give them one more chance ;)
    The album is highly recommended. I agree that Tarja's voice is stronger but I don't fully agree that it's more suited for the music. I will have to wait until I hear Anette singing some of the older songs.

Well I prefer Tarja's voice to Anette's but I've noticed that with Dark Passion Play I can take in more of the music and hear things I normally wouldnt. With the previous albums Tarja's powerful voice would divert attention away from the music. I reckon though that the majority of the songs on Dark Passion Play would not suit Tarja's vice at all.

I wouldn't be sure about that. Anette and Tarja pretty much almost have the same vocal range and I wouldn't doubt Tarja would have done a good job on DPP if she had the chance. The most important thing that needs to be compared between them is that Tarja is an idiot.

True, she is an idiot...well controlled by an idiot. I just couldnt imagine her singing Whoever Brings the Night, 7 Days to the Wolves or The Islander. Of course I'm not doubting her talent, cos she's an amazing singer and performer.

If anyone fancies having a chance to get a personal meet and greet aswell as a guest pass for the Dublin show, you may want to consider joining the Official UK fanclub at www.nightwish-uk.com.

On the page its says the clubs is only open to Wales, England, Scotland and N. Ireland, but this is a mistake. The club is also open to Ireland. I'm sure they'll correct it in their own time.

When you join the club you'll get a whole bunch of goodies, as well as exclusive news, and competitions etc etc. If you join before Feb you'll also automatically be entered into a draw for a signed DPP.

But anyway. The Meet and Greet for Dublin will be given to the first 5 folks out of the hat, and considering there are no irish members yet, the odds of winning are pretty high. ;)

• Advertisement

Done :)

Advertisement