Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to switch?

Options
  • 29-09-2007 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭

I've been seriously considering a career in veterinary medicine lately, the only problem is that I need Chemistry

for those doing it: have you done much yet? would it be hard to catch up in do you think?

I'm going to talk to the teachers on Monday about it, just wanted to know what I was getting myself in for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

hi,
    I don't actually know much about Chemistry but I do know that it is never too late to switch because you will only regret it later if you don't. As long as you are prepared to work really really hard at it. If you are confident enough that you are capable of getting the points for veterinary medicine then this should be no problem to you. It is perfectly possible to do a whole subject in a year as many people do this when they switch to grind schools.
    It might also help you to get some grinds in this to help you catch up.
    Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 whateva eva eva

I'm guessing you're in sixth year?? I'd say go for it. Technically you only need a C3 in honours if you're not counting on it for points. I noticed you're living in dublin... I know I'll get shot down for this but you should try doing a weekend course in the institute (leeson st). They cover the course in a year,(hour nd a half every friday evening) and one of the guys who teaches it is a savage teacher!! (brian wall). Chemistry is one of those subjects that you need to be thought to really get a grasp of it. It would be a struggle to go over what you missed out on last year on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

phasers wrote:
    I've been seriously considering a career in veterinary medicine lately, the only problem is that I need Chemistry

Have you any work experience with vets? It's one of the worst jobs in the world!

But anyway, you could focus on your points this year and repeat and do chemistry on it's own next year to meet the matriculation requirements. You could fit work experience into that year too to make sure you really want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 whateva eva eva

carlowboy wrote:
    Have you any work experience with vets? It's one of the worst jobs in the world!

This coming from the guy who wants to be an actuary? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I did my work experience at a vets and I loved it all, so I know what I'm getting into! :D

thanks for all of this everybody, I've spoken to my teacher and she says it's fine, but I'll almost definitely need grinds
    there's my saturdays gone then but it'll hopefully be worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

phasers wrote:
    I did my work experience at a vets and I loved it all, so I know what I'm getting into! :D

thanks for all of this everybody, I've spoken to my teacher and she says it's fine, but I'll almost definitely need grinds
    there's my saturdays gone then but it'll hopefully be worth it!

do you need an honour or just a pass phasers?

Advertisement