Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying first car - Advice

Options
  • 29-09-2007 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Spotted a thread below on the same topic but didn't want to spoil it cos I'm in s slightly different situation.

Looking to buy our first car. Have driven for years (rented cars, loaned cars for summers, driven abroad) and am 27. GF's still on a provisional but she's 29. So insurance shouldn't be too bad. Still don't want to go over 1.4 i suppose. But she'll be receiving treatment so we'll be up and down the motorway a bit.

Looking for something around the 5 - 5.5k mark.

I'd like something with a bit of go - a 1L ka would make me want to cry I think. My mates are cracking me up cos EVERY car I mention someone's got a goddamn horror story as to why I should get THAT car second hand cos it's unreliable etc.

I think it's better to go with a dealership - correct? At least there's a warranty there.

All suggestions gladly received!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm blue in the face from saying this but sub 1.4 cars are generally very low value- if you will be doing lots of miles, for the same price (or often less) as a corolla, you could get a 1.6 avensis with far more spec and comfort with practically no more commitment.

If cars aren't your thing, take the advice of a fool and buy a proper car- you're only taking advantage of our fairly unique situation in Ireland where good cars are worth very little.

5.5k should get you a car with a decent warranty/

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=742752

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Buying from a dealers might give you the 3months warranty but you buy the car at a higher price, while private buy could save you few hundreds.

If you know a good mechanic, you can give him 50-100 euro to come with you and have the car inspected. It's worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Cheers guys - most appreciated! I've inquired about a few of them peasant. Although I'm not sure about the Hyundai...

As for private vs dealership.

I know you might save a few quid but I don't know any mechanics. So I'd be worried about getting a dud.

At the lower end of the price range, the likelyhood to be saddled with a lemon from a dealer unfortunately is fairly high too.

You don't have to "know" a mechanic to get a car checked ...just pay them for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

peasant wrote:
    At the lower end of the price range, the likelyhood to be saddled with a lemon from a dealer unfortunately is fairly high too.

Even if it's NCT-ed and there's a guarantee on it?

Well ...a fresh NCT means the car is roadworthy and passed an emissions test ...no more, no less. A few months NCT left means nothing at all.

A warranty only covers what's mentioned in it.

A nasty dealer could give you three months engine and gearbox warranty in the full knowledge that the suspension is shot (for example) and just shrug his shoulders and point to the small print when you come back a few weeks later to get it fixed.

A good, honest car has a full service history, shows signs of having been cared for, has all keys, all paperwork, a few recent invoices/ NCT reports and it all checks out when somebody in the know looks it over.

Such a car can be got from a dealer as well as a private seller.

In the price segment you're looking at, chances probaly are higher in the private sector, because no dealer will recognise the extra effort you put into your car when it comes to trading in, they just go by "the book" and pay disappointing prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

"the book" thing, in my opinion is just some sort of "legal" way of ripping you off nicely. Insurance and Financde companies evaluates your car as well based on the same principles, and in some cases the car is worth few 1000's more, in one of my friend case 5000 more by selling private.

Advertisement