Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 DVD bust?

• 29-09-2007 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Was playing Gears of War online last night for about half an hour when all of a sudden my drive started making this weird noise then "Unable to read disc" error message popped up. Tried two different discs and none of them now work.

When I try running a game now the drive is making an strange noise and I faintly hear two really low beeps coming form the console.

I have the 360 about a month now I've lost my receipt, what can be done if anything?

Any help very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

keen wrote:
    Was playing Gears of War online last night for about half an hour when all of a sudden my drive started making this weird noise then "Unable to read disc" error message popped up. Tried two different discs and none of them now work.

When I try running a game now the drive is making an strange noise and I faintly hear two really low beeps coming form the console.

I have the 360 about a month now I've lost my receipt, what can be done if anything?

Any help very much appreciated.

Ah crap, very similar to my problems, it's frequently happening with me.
    If you bought the console with a reward card then you will be able to return it easy enough.

If not you can ring MS and they will replace it (if you're lucky the Manufacturing date will be within the past year....so the console would hopefully be covered, i.e. it proves you console is <1yr old).

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

lafors wrote:
    Ah crap, very similar to my problems, it's frequently happening with me.
    If you bought the console with a reward card then you will be able to return it easy enough.

If not you can ring MS and they will replace it (if you're lucky the Manufacturing date will be within the past year....so the console would hopefully be covered, i.e. it proves you console is <1yr old).

Best of luck

So just give them a bell explain the situation and then I send it off to them?

Will the postage be huge as it's a big package or is covered under the fix?

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

They pay for the postage I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

whats the craic with the warrenty, is it definitely only a year?or is there an extended warrenty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

3 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

lafors wrote:
    You're joking... they prove is it's warranty is by the manufacturing date. I doubt this!

Cos i bought mine a fortnight ago.. yet my manufacturing date is 23rd August 2006 so i'm royally screwed if anything's goes wrong.

NO basquille it's 3 years. I don't think manufacturing date has anything to do with it. Have you registered your console online? If so they will have a record as to when you registered and will have an idea as to when it was bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

kensutz wrote:
    Have you registered your console online?
    Oh snap.. thanks for reminding me. Must do that now! :o

Yeah, i remember hearing it was 3 years but thought it was just the extended warranty for any RRoD issues, and 1 year for everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just wondering if you buy a used 360, is the 3 year warranty transferable to the new owner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i'd be interested in this too.

my mates xbox has been scratching DVD's left right and center, so he a bought a new one, and ive taken the old one.

If I can i'll get MS to replace the DVD drive under this warrenty (i.e. free) that would be great, otherwise it's time for a bit of ebay surgery.

• Advertisement

Do what I did, ring them and tell them you bought it on the net and haven't got a receipt. Worked first time and hopefully will work again next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

the 3rrod is for 3 year warranty but i heard of people wrapping their 360s in towels turned on until they get it

basquille wrote:
    You're joking... they prove is it's warranty is by the manufacturing date. I doubt this!

Cos i bought mine a fortnight ago.. yet my manufacturing date is 23rd August 2006 so i'm royally screwed if anything's goes wrong.

You obviously incorrectly read what I said.
    The OP said he lost his reciept...so they can't confirm when he bought it.
    I just said if it was manufactured within the past year then that makes the console under 1 year old, and obviously by logic it would probably still be covered.

And its only 3 years for the RROD error, not for anything else.
    I know this for a FACT because I was on to MS about my DVD drive locking up all the time. As the console was over 1 year old they won't fix it for free.
    I believe there is an option for an extended warranty but I'm sure there is money involved somewhere.

@stephen: why oh why didn't you post this before I opened my box to have a look at the drive, I could so easily have done this ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

lafors wrote:
    You obviously incorrectly read what I said.
    The OP said he lost his reciept...so they can't confirm when he bought it.
    I just said if it was manufactured within the past year then that makes the console under 1 year old, and obviously by logic it would probably still be covered.

And its only 3 years for the RROD error, not for anything else.
    I know this for a FACT because I was on to MS about my DVD drive locking up all the time. As the console was over 1 year old they won't fix it for free.
    I believe there is an option for an extended warranty but I'm sure there is money involved somewhere.

@stephen: why oh why didn't you post this before I opened my box to have a look at the drive, I could so easily have done this ;)

Quote EU law. Its still covered for up to 6 years.

Quote EU law. Its still covered for up to 6 years.

Serious??
    Any idea which law?

I think it's some electrical goods law which deemed items fit for use within a 6 year period or something like that.

Advertisement