Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Fire Ventilation

Options
  • 29-09-2007 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I've just got a gas fire installed and was wondering if it required ventilation as there are no vents in the room. The installer said it did but I've read some literature on the internet that suggested otherwise. All I know about it's output it is can be up to 2.2KW.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

You will need to contact the irish supplier.
    Some convector box fires don't require vents ,but sometimes the laws are different here and in england where the literature is printed.

Hope thats of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I will do. The manuals say a vent may be required depending on local laws.

Is it dangerous not to get a vent, the fire will probably not be on a whole lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

you need 450mm2/kw
    a standard 9*6 vent directly to outside will be sufficent
    the above is from is813 table 6 gas installers standards
    the law regarding this can be found under the gas act sub advantageous ventilation. its your responsibility to ensure you have adequate ventilation as it could seriously affect the draw on your chimney

GET IT SORTED..

Ok thanks. I'll look into getting a vent fitted.

One further question, my house was built 6 years ago with gas heating throughout, there is not a single vent in the house, is this normal practice or should there be some vents?

Check your windows for vents ,sometimes there are special vents fitted inside them.

Is your floor concrete of raised floorboards ?

Whoever installed the fire is liable for the installation. It's up to the installer to make sure the vent is there.
    You shouldn't really be posting about it here to be honest ,the fire shouldn't be used without been installed properly.Which includes providing ventilation for an appliance if needed.

Any registered gas installer would know all this anyways.

I am a registered installer by the way.

• Advertisement

_Brian_ wrote:
    Check your windows for vents ,sometimes there are special vents fitted inside them.

Is your floor concrete of raised floorboards ?

Whoever installed the fire is liable for the installation. It's up to the installer to make sure the vent is there.
    You shouldn't really be posting about it here to be honest ,the fire shouldn't be used without been installed properly.Which includes providing ventilation for an appliance if needed.

Any registered gas installer would know all this anyways.

I am a registered installer by the way.

The windows do have vents, they are quite small though. I was a bit surprised the installer didn't put the required ventilation. I rang his company and was told the ventilation was a different job all together. Is it possible the window vents are sufficient for a gas fire, that may be the reason he didn't install the vent himself.

MasterK ,I can only advise you that if a vent is needed for the fire then the fire shouldn't be used without one. It's the responsibility of the installer to insure there is adequate ventilation where required.

There would be an extra charge for installing one. I think we charge something like €120 to supply and fit ,red brick vent and internal louvre vent ,at the time of the installation.

You would be looking at more for getting someone out to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

masterK wrote:
    The windows do have vents, they are quite small though. I was a bit surprised the installer didn't put the required ventilation. I rang his company and was told the ventilation was a different job all together. This is a very dangerous con Is it possible the window vents are sufficient for a gas fire,the vent must be permo: hence window ones are not allowed that may be the reason he didn't install the vent himself.

HTF can the installer install and then tell u u need a vent: u need to pursue this with Bord Gais as u cannot have these mf's installing stuff incorrectly
    http://www.bordgais.ie/networks/index.jsp?1nID=102&2nID=117&pID=117&nID=413
    Check to see if he is registered.

ircoha wrote:
    HTF can the installer install and then tell u u need a vent: u need to pursue this with Bord Gais as u cannot have these mf's installing stuff incorrectly
    http://www.bordgais.ie/networks/index.jsp?1nID=102&2nID=117&pID=117&nID=413
    Check to see if he is registered.

It was installed by the company I bought the fire/fireplace from so I would be surprised if he wasn't registered. I wasn't aware of the ventilation requirements in advance, it was only after he mentioned it that it occurred to me that he should have probably done it. They charged €250 to install the fire which only took about an hour. When I rang about the vent they were looking for another €200 to install it. There was no mention of ventilation at any point when purchasing the fire/arranging for installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

masterK wrote:
    The windows do have vents, they are quite small though. I was a bit surprised the installer didn't put the required ventilation. I rang his company and was told the ventilation was a different job all together. Is it possible the window vents are sufficient for a gas fire, that may be the reason he didn't install the vent himself.

I bought a new house 3 1/2 years ago which has gas heating through out and a gas fire. When I questioned the builder about ventilation , he said that the vents in the windows were sufficient .... bigger fool I was to believe him. I only figured out that what he told me was crap after I moved in and the fire would stop lighting after about 45 minutes .... luckily enough though that this happened cause it was quenching due to lack of oxygen in the air ( inbuilt sensor on fire) ... Installed a proper 110mm vent last year and no problems since, so I'd recommend a proper vent before usung it.

• Advertisement

masterK wrote:
    When I rang about the vent they were looking for another €200 to install it. There was no mention of ventilation at any point when purchasing the fire/arranging for installation.

200 is about right to be honest.
    120 plus 65 for call out.

But they should have done it there and then. 130 should do it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

555guy wrote:
    I bought a new house 3 1/2 years ago which has gas heating through out and a gas fire. When I questioned the builder about ventilation , he said that the vents in the windows were sufficient .... bigger fool I was to believe him. I only figured out that what he told me was crap after I moved in and the fire would stop lighting after about 45 minutes .... luckily enough though that this happened cause it was quenching due to lack of oxygen in the air ( inbuilt sensor on fire) ... Installed a proper 110mm vent last year and no problems since, so I'd recommend a proper vent before usung it.
    Did you let him away with this???
    Effectively the fire will consume the oxygen in the room and then start producing carbon monoxide. Any leak in the surround or chimney would have caused you to be poisoned.

Advertisement