Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ever just get in your car and go?

Options
  • 29-09-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

How often do you just get in your car and drive? I'm talking about, on your own, a boring Saturday or Sunday with no particular destination, just get into the car and drive?

I'm in that mood today. To get away from the house for a few hours I'm gonna hop in the car, put some good music on and drive. Think I'll head up Oldtown direction and get lost a bit on the country roads, see the countryside a bit (as much as you can in Dublin!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

never

i am too mean a person to just burn fuel for no purpose, i try to get as much done on 1 journey as possibal

i'm better for the enviroment then you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I do that quite often !! especially since I got my new motor.

I tend to just go driving and eventually I will find someone to call in to for lunch or a game of footie taking place somewhere!!

Head across the wicklow area ... some great sights and driving roads close enough to dublin. Plenty of places for lunch and stop offs .. make sure to take a camera with you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

I used to do this the whole time when I had bikes. No radio, no annoying passenger, just you the road and your thoughts.:rolleyes: Great for clearing the head. Not so easy now with a wife and 2 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I did it all the time with bikes too, and still do the odd time on two wheels, but I'm starting to just attack the Ring of Kerry on 4 wheels every other day for the hell it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

the odd time when I don't want to watch tv or surf the net...my car's really boring so I have to be bored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I do this all the time, nothing like it for a bit of freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I drove to mayo from dublin after work on day, got there abot 9, turned around drove home and got back to dublin a 11

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

At least once a month. Clears the head.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I used to do that a lot, going up the mountains, or purely just driving around listening to relaxing music while clearing my head, but now it doesn't happen that often anymore due to having a family.
    Saying that still once or twice a month we go for a "nice relaxing drive" (a bit hard to relax with kids in the back).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

I used to do it a lot, if I had a hard day dealing with drunks and nutters or just needed to clear the head I'd hop in the car put on some good tunes and drive. Usually late at night or early in the morning, very little traffic, just cruise along no need to speed or push the car. I'd pull over for a while have a snack then turn back and head home. If it was in the middle of the summer it was great driving back with the sun rising. Friends and family thought I was nuts, work mates would prefer to sit down for a few pints after getting the last punter out, but some times I prefered to hop in to the Corrado and go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I drove to mayo from dublin after work on day, got there abot 9, turned around drove home and got back to dublin a 11

Heavy right foot?!?!:D

Every so often; Korn is great for clearing the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Since I bought the Capri I find myself doing it a bit alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

used to do it every few weeks either alone or with the gf, then my nice car got stolen and i'm stuck with a 7-seater barge, takes the fun out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pugsley2007

Yep, do it once a week or so no, but had not done it for ages.

We had to buy a second family car recently. My wife insisted on nothing more than 1.4, small, two-door economical versus me wanting to buy a 20 year old Porshe. In the end we compromised on a 1.4, 2 door economical car - but it just happened to be a well-tuned MG ZR++.

So now I find myself "volunteering" for all the long road trips. I recently had to take one from Wicklow Town to Carlow and back, cross country and had an absolute hoot. Nice sunny, dry day, sun roof open, window down (and I will admit it, the Top Gear CD playing Bat Out of Hell, etc.). Not very good for the environment I know, but it brought a real big grin to my face.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

So now I find myself "volunteering" for all the long road trips. I recently had to take one from Wicklow Town to Carlow and back, cross country and had an absolute hoot. Nice sunny, dry day, sun roof open, window down (and I will admit it, the Top Gear CD playing Bat Out of Hell, etc.). Not very good for the environment I know, but it brought a real big grin to my face.

Matt

Matt, don't feel you have to apologise to all the tree huggers and chin strokers, as long as you are not putting yourself or any other road user in danger, go for it :D. You pay (i hope ;) ) road tax, insurance heavy duty on petrol / diesel for the right to drive, so when you get the opertunity of enjoying a good drive......

Every day the list of things that we enjoy but is bad for the envoirment / health / some poxy frog's / etc is getting longer and longer :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Do it quite regularly. Last night I left the house at 10.30 and drove to Greystones via the Wicklow Gap from Lucan and then home. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Yep, do it once in a blue moon, Drogheada to Ballsbridge then home, Stradbally then home, Arklow then home. Great for clearing out the head.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I do from time to time. Its nice to get into the Wicklow mountains for a blast as the traffic up there is a far cry from the traffic nightmares a few miles north in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah, drove to Glendalough yesterday, brought the camera, went roaming for a bit in the park, took pictures etc, then had a lovely meal in a nearby restaurant and then drove home. Very relaxing.

The drive was fantastic, about an hour and a half of twisty, open roads each way. I'm loving my 320 coupe more every day. A really great day - I would recommend the drive to Glendalough to anyone.

Think I'll drive up by oldtown/dublin north today.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep used drive to Galway, Cork, Tralee, Kilarney, etc on a Sunday afternoon up to a few years back.

Unfortunately these days I don't get alot of time due to family commitments. The most I get to do on a Sunday afternoon these days (when not raining) is let my 5 year old daughter help me wash the car. Can't complain though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I used to do shift work & would often have a afternoon's blip up the Wicklow mountains. Last sping I spent the day up there loving the twisty bits in beautiful sunshine. Made my way home via Rathfarnham; where you'd usually see the city below was a blanket of thick fog.
    Met in the pub later & everybody was bitching about the crap weather & how bad the drive home was. :D Felt a bit guilty when I told them, but not much...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I started doing it to learn the far side of the city, but then just started taking longer journeys out Connermara, Carna, Rossaveal, places like that. Beautiful country out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

yep often do it - about once/twice a month
    tis good for the old head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I never do it, used to do it a bit when I was learning to drive and driving was a big thing but not anymore. Plus I'd be conscious of the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Do it the odd time at the weekend when I'm bored, clears the head and relaxes you a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I used to do it all the time, but not so much anymore - Ireland has brought me to dread driving anywhere now, I just hate driving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Yep, I'm in the "used to do it the odd weekend" camp too, but now with a daily 50-mile round trip commute, the LAST thing I want to do at weekends is drive some more, especially anywhere in the Dublin region where driving is pure grief due to volumes, roadworks, etc.

Nowadays, I do a long walk or run to clear the head - no distractions or music, just time to ponder life's ebbs and flows.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cappo

Yep! Love to set out for a nice spin – keep a eye on the weather and just go. Have used The Irish Times motoring correspondents Bob Montgomery’s brilliant “Great Roads” series as a guide and followed some of his recommendations.

Take the roof off and enjoy the experience. Despite all the negative aspects of driving in Ireland there are some really great roads for the keen motorist to enjoy.

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

Car1.jpg

Sligo.jpg

connamar.jpg

NI4-1.jpg

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Go down to the Wicklow mountains occasionally.

Advertisement