Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wrong side of the road

Options
  • 29-09-2007 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm going to France next month and will be doing a fair bit of mileage in my RHD van. I've never driven on the wrong side before so I'm a bit apprehensive about it. I've been a passenger in Spain and it was confusing enough. So any tips and advice for driving on the wrong side?

I saw a guy on Dragon's Den before who had an invention of a glove you wore on whatever hand was the side you were supposed to be driving on. Needless to say, The Dragon's didn't give him much time:o

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be honest its not that hard. You come off the boat and are routed into the correct lane. There are so many DCs, motorways and autoroutes etc that reduce the amount of driving on ordinary roads.
    When driving off from parked is the worst but just get into the habit of driving correctly - park on your side of the road where possible.
    I have gone over several times and there really isn't an issue with driving on the right.

The french police will offer you really hefty fines if caught speeding. Don't get caught!!!
    Just get yourself a set of headlamp adjusters (from motor factors, the AA shop, the boat), get a breakdown kit (again from the same sources) including a bottle of puncture repair stuff.
    Bring your ownership docs, NCT & insurance certs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In moving traffic it's no problem ...you just follow the others.

It's on empty roads that you have to remind yourself to stick to the kerb ...empty crossroads are particualrly tricky, just keep your concentration.

A little sticker on the dash with a big arrow and "keep right" might help for the first few hours/days.

One important thing: Make sure that your l/h mirror is as good as its gets, as you can't be looking over your shoulder when overtaking, changing lanes.

If neccessary get on of those little stick-on wide angle lenses for your mirror, or maybe even an extra separate one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

You should be fine for normal driving. Just a few things to remember

1. You go around Roundabouts anti-clockwise. You'd be amazed how many people don't know this.
    2. Watch out when coming out of junctions etc. Your first tendancy will always be to head for the left hand side. This happens a lot as people just don't think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It does take a fair bit of concentration... try stick to the motor ways if you can, as it's much easier....

Be very careful first thing in the morning and late at night when there isn't much traffic around...

Also try use a GPS as much as you can, as people tend to make mistakes about the side of the road when they are trying to navigate or get lost....

Also be extra careful at round abouts ( they take a good bit of getting used to, when going around the opposite way... ), i think they've phased out most of the round abouts in france where the people on the round about have right of way, but you best check up on that one....

Have a safe trip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

round abouts are the killer. Had the same problem 12 years ago when I frove for the first time in UK by going the wrong way.
    It only used to happen if the road were clear, otherwise just follow the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I drive in US as well as here. Just remember:
    The steering wheel always goes in the middle of the road anyway that's how I remember if I'm ever confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

biko wrote:
    The steering wheel always goes in the middle of the road anyway that's how I remember if I'm ever confused.

ehh, no ..it doesn't :D:D:D

cormie is taking his RHD van to LHD France, so therefore he gets to sit near the kerb ...or live life in the "fast lane" if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

biko wrote:
    :confused::confused:
    The last time I drove my car in france my steering wheel was not in the middle of the road :confused:
    The steering wheel is on the right and the french drive on the right, so my steering wheel was on the far right hand side of the road, my passenger / navigator (until she was sacked and replaced by satnav :D ) was in the middle of the road.

Edit: peasant must be able to type with more than two fingers!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eh? Don't follow the above advice. :eek: RHD on LHD roads obviously has wheel nearer the kerb then the middle line!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

biko wrote:
    True, thats how I do it in germany too but we have cars from the country we are in. It would be pretty tough to remember if you are driving with an left hand drive car in a right hand side road.

I think the sticker is good idea and also do not talk to others when coming to any sort of junction - you will have to concentrate every time - whatever you do, do not get complacent and think you have the hang of it as that is when you will make mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

A GPS would be very useful but make sure you use it here as much as possible before you go to be totally familiar with it. Otherwise it will be a distraction.

Overtaking is the greatest problem as you do not have the visibility.

Take it easy for the first few days and it will all fall in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cormie, stop thinking of it as the 'wrong' side of the road. Also, get the stuff kbannon said. Most of these things are a legal requirement there. Check the AA website. You'll think a £60 parking fine is peanuts if you don't.

And, just for you, Breakdown Cover!

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

esel wrote:
    And, just for you, Breakdown Cover!
    ROFL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

Far more potentially dangerous is priorité à droite
    You must give priority to traffic coming from your right. This can be very disconcerting when traffic from a minor road has priority over a major road.

Usually only applicable in towns/villages/carparks, but occasionally when turning onto motorway sliproads.

more info here:
    http://www.bwam.org.uk/articles/in_france.php

Also, when roundabouts were first introduced in France, traffic entering had priority over traffic on the roundabout! Thankfully nearly all roundabouts have been converted now (note the yield sign when approaching), but AFAIK some roundabouts in the south still operate on the "old" basis. Watch out.

You shouldn't have too much difficulty generally, esp. when following the flow of traffic. French drivers have excellent motorway manners, just watch how they can use the overtaking lane correctly (many leave their indicator on while using it)

Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The arrow on the dash is the best aid of all - any time that you feel in any way unsure, a quick glance reminds you. Writing "keep right" is not as effective as you start to get left and right mixed up in your head when you are overtaking on the left and remembering that the turn where you cross the oncoming traffic is the left one over there, etc. When I drove to Italy in 2005, I put one on the speedo (see below, avoid covering important warning lights if you stick it here), but this year, I stuck it to the top of the dash, where it reflects in the windscreen like a subconcious head-up display. This was even more effective than sticking it on the speedo (use Blu-tack to avoid melted Sellotape stains on the top of the dash)

(and before you say it, the photo below was taken on an unrestricted section of Autobahn in Germany ;) )

IMG_9666.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

spuddy wrote:
    Far more potentially dangerous is priorité à droite

Indeed. Make sure you understand this, Cormie. Be very alert, especially in towns. I suppose a driver of a RHD vehicle in France will have a better view of what's coming out from the right though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Dont worry about it. Its not too hard. I had to do it for the 1st time this year while driving a RHD people carrier around Bretagne. Roundabouts feel a tad funky when anti clockwise though. Make sure as a driver you are always near the kerb and the other front seat nearer the centre of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the advice folks :)

Esel, I was contemplating whether or not to call it the "wrong side" of the road, but Tom Waits forced me t:p

So I'm beside the kerb at all times, that's a good tip, not looking forward to overtaking at all!

Will look into breakdown cover tomorrow :D Anyone know offhand do the AA cover across Europe? I feel another thread coming on asking about breakdown cover:o

cormie wrote:
    Will look into breakdown cover tomorrow :D Anyone know offhand do the AA cover across Europe? I feel another thread coming on asking about breakdown cover:o

This is what I used:

http://www.aaireland.ie/travel/fivestar.asp

Cool :) Actually, I think I'll just go start a thread on general breakdown cover. Just to get a few different options:)

• Advertisement

Well, either way, enjoy your trip...driving abroad is great fun - the wife & I are going back to Italy in '08 to enjoy places like these:

Stelvio Pass, Italian/Swiss border:
    IMG_2972.jpg

Tuscany:
    Toscana2005.jpg

My screen is messed up at the moment, the colours are all over the place but I can kinda make out the pictures, looks cool :)

Advertisement