Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike covers

Options
  • 29-09-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Are there such things as fully sealable bike covers? I'm thinking of buying a road bike but, if I do, I won't have room to keep all my bikes indoors so I'd be thinking of keeping at least one of them out the back. (I don't have room for a shed, unfortunately.)

If there were such things as fully sealable bike covers, would keeping a bike in one be substantially different from storing it in a shed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I had to keep my bike in a back garden for about a year and a half before I moved to a place that had a shed, I kept it under a cover for the entire time. Not ideal at all and a good bit of rust developed. I reckon I had to change all the cables and steel parts a lot earlier than would otherwise have been necessary.

Fully sealed covers don't exist as they would seal in the moisture also.

If you can't fit a shed, would you consider a garden store? Have a look in Argos for examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Actually, since I started this thread, I've discovered that such a thing does exist, albeit designed for motorcycles. After sealing the bag, you use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the air.

http://www.vac-bags.co.uk/bike.htm

Wonder how effective they are...

Tayto2000 wrote:
    I had to keep my bike in a back garden for about a year and a half before I moved to a place that had a shed, I kept it under a cover for the entire time. Not ideal at all and a good bit of rust developed. I reckon I had to change all the cables and steel parts a lot earlier than would otherwise have been necessary.

Fully sealed covers don't exist as they would seal in the moisture also.

If you can't fit a shed, would you consider a garden store? Have a look in Argos for examples.

Two problems with that. First it's for dry storage, which assumes you're packing whatever you're vacumn wrapping into a nice dry shed and second it's designed for longterm storage, you'd have a hard time vac packing your bike every night. Also, you would be sealing in moisture unless eveything was thoroughly dried first.

If you're looking for a good cover, I recommend a breathable motorcycle cover. They're large enough to completely cover the bike and keep things dry and ventilated. A bit expensive though, you'd prob. be looking at €60+. I had a few bike specific covers and wasn't happy with any of them.

TBH, unless it's a utility bike, inside or a shed really is best. A plastic garden store is €150 in Argos, plus you can keep other bits in it. I was considering one before I moved house but don't know what they're like.

I think your concerns can be addressed. Regarding dry storage, it's not that it needs a dry shed, it IS dry storage! (Otherwise, what would be the point of it?) I can always dry my bike for a few hours in the house before storing it.

As for storing it every night, I wouldn't be doing that. I'd probably be storing it once a week. And, according to the people who make the product (to whom I wrote), that can work fine so long as you keep the drying-bag in a sealed container when it's not used. Also, these can be replaced for £5. (They recommend replacing them once a year.)

As for a breathable motorcycle cover, will that not just expose the bike to whatever moisture is in the air (i.e. quite a lot during Winter, I'd have thought)? The Vac Bag seems to solve that problem.
    Tayto2000 wrote:
    Two problems with that. First it's for dry storage, which assumes you're packing whatever you're vacumn wrapping into a nice dry shed and second it's designed for longterm storage, you'd have a hard time vac packing your bike every night. Also, you would be sealing in moisture unless eveything was thoroughly dried first.

If you're looking for a good cover, I recommend a breathable motorcycle cover. They're large enough to completely cover the bike and keep things dry and ventilated. A bit expensive though, you'd prob. be looking at €60+. I had a few bike specific covers and wasn't happy with any of them.

TBH, unless it's a utility bike, inside or a shed really is best. A plastic garden store is €150 in Argos, plus you can keep other bits in it. I was considering one before I moved house but don't know what they're like.

Well, based on the descriptions of use it seems to be designed for vac-packing stuff before it goes into long term storage.

That said, it's fairly cheap and I see now it also comes with a moisture absorber (sorry, hadn't noticed that bit). Still wouldn't be 100% convinced about keeping it outside in the rain etc but for that price can't hurt to give it a go especially if you'd be able to dry it before packing it.

• Advertisement

Worth a go, alright.
    Tayto2000 wrote:
    Well, based on the descriptions of use it seems to be designed for vac-packing stuff before it goes into long term storage.

That said, it's fairly cheap and I see now it also comes with a moisture absorber (sorry, hadn't noticed that bit). Still wouldn't be 100% convinced about keeping it outside in the rain etc but for that price can't hurt to give it a go especially if you'd be able to dry it before packing it.

Advertisement