Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Questions on roundabouts, three point turn, reversing in test etc

Options
  • 29-09-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I got a cancellation with too little notice to get pretest lessons until the morning of my test. Anyway its 2 months since I failed my first test (in a different centre) by one grade.

I'm trying to recall stuff my instructor told me 2 months ago. He wasn't the best tbh, so I am probably doing myself a favour by forgetting.

ROUNDABOUTS:

Regardless of roundabout size/layout would you ever indicate right when taking the second exit? In a case like this, imagine the roundabout as a clock, where you enter the roundabout at 7 o clock, first exit is at 11 o clock and the second exit is at 4 o clock. I never indicate right unless I am taking the third exit but should I in a case like the above?

I actually didn't get a single fault on my three point turn, reversing or hill start but I've forgot a few minor details, as I was off the road for 5 weeks after my test and it's not something I would do while driving every day of the week.

THREE POINT TURN:

Pull into curb. Check mirrors, look over shoulder. Indicate right, start turning towards other curb.
    Before reversing towards the other curb do I need to indicate left and apply the handbrake regardless of the it being a flat or hilly area?
    Is there anything else I have left out?

HILL START:

Indicate left pull into curb. Bring car to stop, apply handbrake. Check mirrors, look over right shoulder. Indicate right and start.
    Anything I have left out?

REVERSING AROUND CORNER:

Indicate left pull into curb. Bring car to stop, apply handbrake. Check mirrors, look over right shoulder.
    Start reversing, while looking over left shoulder and left mirror. Just before turning, slow down and look over right shoulder, commence turning.
    Do I need to have my left indicator on the entire time from starting to finish?
    Anything else?

I was told I can ask to reverse around the corner again if I balls it up, so if I do it again will any errors made on my first attempt be ignored in favour of my second attempt?

STOP SIGNS:

Should I always apply the handbrake at a stop sign? Even if the ground is completely flat? Also in a pretty open and desolate area where I can clearly see to my right and left that nothing is coming, it seems a bit unnecessary to apply the handbrake if its a flat area and I am the only car around. I would in the test though.
    Anything else?

I'd appreciate any advice.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Regardless of roundabout size/layout would you ever indicate right when taking the second exit? In a case like this, imagine the roundabout as a clock, where you enter the roundabout at 7 o clock, first exit is at 11 o clock and the second exit is at 4 o clock. I never indicate right unless I am taking the third exit but should I in a case like the above?

I'll usually only indicate right if taking 3rd exit or greater, it may not be technically correct to indicate right if taking the second exit in the situation you describe, but it can't hurt to signal your intentions either, just start indicating left when you pass the previous exit.
    I actually didn't get a single fault on my three point turn, reversing or hill start but I've forgot a few minor details, as I was off the road for 5 weeks after my test and it's not something I would do while driving every day of the week.

THREE POINT TURN:

Pull into curb. Check mirrors, look over shoulder. Indicate right, start turning towards other curb.
    Before reversing towards the other curb do I need to indicate left and apply the handbrake regardless of the it being a flat or hilly area?
    Is there anything else I have left out?

Most people don't do three point turns or reversing around a corner on a regular basis, these parts of the test are more to check that you can keep control of the car while carrying out a manouevre.

As for the procedure, you have listed the important points, although do not indicate left before reversing towards the curb on the second stage, the only indicating you need to do is indicate right as you start, any car that comes along while you're doing the turn should see what you are doing and stop and let you finish it.

You don't have to apply the handbrake either if you are happy to hold it on the clutch and brakes but putting the handbrake on to ensure no roll forward while you check behind and get ready for the second part can't hurt.
    HILL START:

Indicate left pull into curb. Bring car to stop, apply handbrake. Check mirrors, look over right shoulder. Indicate right and start.
    Anything I have left out?

Nothing left out here.

REVERSING AROUND CORNER:

Indicate left pull into curb. Bring car to stop, apply handbrake. Check mirrors, look over right shoulder.
    Start reversing, while looking over left shoulder and left mirror. Just before turning, slow down and look over right shoulder, commence turning.
    Do I need to have my left indicator on the entire time from starting to finish?
    Anything else?

I was told I can ask to reverse around the corner again if I balls it up, so if I do it again will any errors made on my first attempt be ignored in favour of my second attempt?

Don't indicate left during the corner reverse. When you start reversing cars will see your reversing lights coming on at the back and that's all they need. I have heard you can ask to do this again if you think you have not done it properly although I don't know if they then ignore the first attempt or not.

Take this slowly and it will actually be fairly difficult to hit the kerb, and what they are checking for here is your observation all about while you do the manoeuvre, not whether or not you keep the car a foot from the kerb at all times during it.

STOP SIGNS:

Should I always apply the handbrake at a stop sign? Even if the ground is completely flat? Also in a pretty open and desolate area where I can clearly see to my right and left that nothing is coming, it seems a bit unnecessary to apply the handbrake if its a flat area and I am the only car around. I would in the test though.

It's not nessecary to apply the handbrake at a stop sign unless you think the situation warrents it. During the test, if on flat ground, stop at the line for a second or two while checking left and right, then move forward slowly before going if and when you see the way is clear. It's important the tester perceives the car to have stopped completely, not whether or not you think the car stopped so err on the side of caution but don't overdo it particularly if there are cars starting to queue behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

-I'd indicate if I was travelling more than 180 degrees around the roundabout.

- Put your handbrake on if there's any chance you could roll backwards/forwards. If its flat the footbreak will do fine.

Good Luck!

Advertisement