Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crap Xbox 360?

• 29-09-2007 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

Today I bought an Xbox 360 Premium from Xtra Vision. Upon getting it home I was dismayed to realise that the thing was manufactured on the 15th of October 2006.

Is such an old model with no HDMI port pretty much guaranteed to break/have massive noise & heat issues?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

I would go right back with it, why should you risk it all the new systems will have better cooling and I think HDMI.

mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

So just because it doesn't have a HDMI port it's guaranteed to break? :rolleyes: You'll be VERY lucky to get your hands on a premium with a Hdmi port in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

My mine was manufactured around that date as well and, if it's any consolation, have had absolutely no issues with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

kensutz wrote:
    So just because it doesn't have a HDMI port it's guaranteed to break? :rolleyes: You'll be VERY lucky to get your hands on a premium with a Hdmi port in it.

Well I was working under the assumption that the models with HDMI also have improved cooling.

I suppose running this thing vertically is a bad idea yeah? Do you guys run yours vertically without problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

eh, is it not only elites with a HDMI port?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

event wrote:
    eh, is it not only elites with a HDMI port?

Nope. The premiums will have it too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't think the store will let you change it, after all there is nothing wrong with it.
    Now if you asked the sales person was this the latest model and they said yes, then that's another matter.

Mine is a lauch console bought second hand and works perfect :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

micmclo wrote:
    I don't think the store will let you change it, after all there is nothing wrong with it.
    Now if you asked the sales person was this the latest model and they said yes, then that's another matter.
    Pretty much what micmclo said - they don't have to take it back provided there's nothing wrong with it and you weren't misled by the sales person.

If your 360 is still unopened, you could try returning it to the store for a newer model. If that fails, I'd suggest calling up the head office and explaining the situation to them. See if they can accommodate you.

Tell them you already have a 360 and were hoping to get the new, quieter version and/or explain why having the HDMI port is important to you. Do your research on how to spot which 360 consoles have this feature from the packaging, or if there's a particular serial number you have to look out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For those of you who are completely unaware (i.e me!) - how do you tell what date it was manufactured on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

There should be a label on the back, right above where it says the serial number it should tell you the "MFR date"

Mine was manufactured on 25th Nov 2006, and I've had absolutely no issues with it over the past 5 months

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i was wondering how to tell the manufacturing date too!

to echo what has been said, the store are not obliged to exchange your xbox.

Thanks for the input guys! Sextra-Vision have a no-quibble 28 day returns policy so I guess I could return it, but there's no guarantee they have a new one in stock and I don't want them to have to go through it all checking each and every console. :)

I reckon I'll just hang on to it and hopefully it wont crap out. One question though, does anyone who has had their 360 for a while run it vertically? It would be more convenient space wise, but if it increases the chances of scratched discs or overheating then I'll steer clear.

I have mine standing up, but its sitting on a steel mesh part of my computer desk, so the bottom vents aren't blocked off completely.
    I haven't had any issues with scratched discs at all, they all look as good as new (apart from that time I moved the 360 while my copy of lost planet was spinning in the drive:o)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

re xbox position. I too have also heard from a few people thats its better for the xbox to be on its belly to avoid disc scratching but ive seen nothing to confirm if its true other than cases of people moving their xbox while its turned on.

Well balls... this is all very odd.

Got out the box for my XBox 360 which i bought a fortnight yesterday.

Found the little slip on the side what says "Lift here for serial number". Opened it and there was nothing in it.. a hole where an insert was it looks like. There's no date or mention of MFR anywhere on the packaging either!

:confused:

basquille wrote:
    Well balls... this is all very odd.

Got out the box for my XBox 360 which i bought a fortnight yesterday.

Found the little slip on the side what says "Lift here for serial number". Opened it and there was nothing in it.. a hole where an insert was it looks like. There's no date or mention of MFR anywhere on the packaging either!

:confused:
    It should be on the xbox itself, at the back next to the video output/network port/usb port

Duh! Sorry... brain isn't on today.

But Lex Diamonds, you think you've got it bad. I've got one manufactured on the 23rd August 2006. Yes, i only bought it a fortnight ago. It was manufactured over 13 months ago! :eek:

Should i stick with it? Will it make a difference if it's a newer console etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

Mine was made in December and its grand, and besides if it breaks you get it repaired or ask for a new one like

I have mine standin vertically and i think its much better room wise and i also think its cooler when i turn it off (dunno why though) but i remember asking some guy in the Sony Shop when i first bought my ps2 if i should stand it up or lying down and he said using it vertically MIGHT one day sratch a disc, someting to do with the discs not standing in the tray right

basquille wrote:

I reckon i'll give MS a shout and tell them my HD tv only has HDMI so I need a newer box. See what they say. BUT, having recently read a thread where the new spec. ed. halo 360s are getting the red rings of death, I think I might be wasting my time. On a lighter note, Xbox Live is a bloody brilliant service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

basquille wrote:
    Duh! Sorry... brain isn't on today.

But Lex Diamonds, you think you've got it bad. I've got one manufactured on the 23rd August 2006. Yes, i only bought it a fortnight ago. It was manufactured over 13 months ago! :eek:

Mine is almost the same. Bought it 2 weeks ago in Gamestop and date of manufacture is 02 Sep 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

You should have asked just to make sure, just incase things like this might happen...

There's a 3 year warranty to cover it anyway.

kensutz wrote:
    There's a 3 year warranty to cover it anyway.

That only covers the RROD and nothing else.

It covers any malfunction in the Xbox 360.

kensutz wrote:
    It covers any malfunction in the Xbox 360.

You get the standered 1 year Warranty on all faults

" Any Xbox 360 customer who experiences a general hardware failure indicated by three flashing red lights will now be covered by a three year warranty from date of purchase. All other existing Xbox 360 warranty policies remain in place."

http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/support/xbox360/warrantyupdate.htm

So this does not cover DVD drives Harddrive etc:

Oh right, my bad :o Now to send back one of the 360's before the year is up

Eat those words kensutz... EAT EM!!! :D

PS - if by some chance something goes wrong in the 360 with DVD drives etc after the year is up? Are they easy to replace.. if given to someone who knows what they're doing?

Hush up Basquille :p 2 of my 360's have been built at launch and still work perfectly, one of them has a dodgy drive which won't read a disc more often than not and the other is purring away nicely thanks to the infamous Currys slip up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

You have 4, don't you? What happened to the other 2?

• Advertisement

Yes I do have 4.

Advertisement