Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customer Specific Booking Form - how?

Options
  • 29-09-2007 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Any advice appreciated (even to help me do a better google search)

I have a simple web to email booking form on my website, and I get quite a few repeat customers.. I would like to know the easiest way to setup a simple login that would bring the repeat customers to their "own" booking form, so that they wouldn't have to enter their own details all over again.. (i.e. to automatically populate the email with that customers name).

The website at the moment is just simple html and I've not done anything like this before.

I'm not thinking of storing any personal or sensitive data so I think there is no point going for SSL

Any pointers/suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

at its most simple ...

you'll want to either have a flat file (txt file with the details)

you open this file .. it contains all the details you want
    username / password / Firstname / Lastname .. and so on ...

For your first time doing this ... there is going to be a bit of a learning curve ... if you want the users to stay logged in ... its another feature ...

If there's nothing majorly sensitive .. you could choose to have a cookie stored on the users machine with these details .. and everytime they use that machine to connect to the website it'll prefill ...

What I would recommend however is setting up a database

www.mysql.com
    www.php.net
    mysql / php would be one of the most common combinations for this.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php

You'll have a table similar to the flat file I mentioned ...
    User goes to site ... logs in ... we check if we have that username in the database .. if yes .. we check against the password we have on file.

User gets directed to the form ... we know which user is logged in due to sessions ... http://www.php.net/session

We pre fill the form with the data we have in our database ...

hopefully I'm making some sense as I was at a stag last night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Vazelothir

thanks forbairt, thats kinda how i imagined... learning curve allright!

I reckon I can add the db through the website control panel (same hosting as boards.ie) and once its there I reckon I know enough to get myself into trouble..

will check out the php links - i did play around with php before, maybe a stupid question, but could I just have the login page & custom form as php (or would I have to change the rest of the website?)

cheers

Advertisement