Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Rings of Death - AGAIN!!!

• 29-09-2007 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭

Bought an xbox360 in April this year. Was working fine for about 2 months. Games occasionally froze and about 6 weeks ago the rings appeared.

Sent it away, got a new one sent out to me after 2 weeks with a 3 year warranty and 1 month free xbox live.

That was less than a month ago. Was playing Fight Night 3 last night (after an overdose of HALO 3 the night before) and the feckin lights appeared again. This time I unplugged everything and re-set the machine and it worked fine. This is a brand new machine and I lost the plot when the lights appeared.

I rang xbox support this morning, they emailing me the shipping labels again and some "Escalation team" or something like that (couldn't make out the girl over the phone) will be ringing me in the next 24-48hrs to discuss a complementary/compensation package.

This is not on as I bought 3 new games on thursday....either they give me a fantastic offer or I want a refund for every xbox related product I purchased, from the accessories and games to the 3 or 4 magazines I bought! No xbox live 3 months free or a free copy of Project Gotham Racing (or other old cheap game)will pawn me off.

My question is has this ever happened to anyone twice before? If so what did you receive...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

That's bad form man they seem to be really badly produced in general.

I've mine less then a month and the DVD drive is gone on it already, was on the phone to them about ten minutes ago, waiting on shipping labels also.
    I hope this is the only problem I have with the console but I somehow doubt it.

It's a great console when it works but the amount of people that are having to send theirs off for repair is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

:( I feel like cryin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The one thing i can't understand and hopefully someone can clarify this for me..

.. how is it that a hardware glitch as serious as this that has completely overlooked since launch? I mean how are the consoles bought now suffering the same RRoD conditions as the XBOX's bought on launch day and soon after.

Surely Microsoft knows this RRoD issue has been getting nothing but pissed off customers and bad press. Would they not have fixed it? I can't understand it at all. Whatever the cost to fix it.. surely it evens out at the number of consoles being bricked, the number of free games / Live subscriptions they've needed to give out to angry customers.

The whole issue is just downright odd!

PS - Oh.. and feel sorry for you Trilla!

basquille wrote:
    PS - Oh.. and feel sorry for you Trilla!

Haha cheers man! No I agree entirely. Part, and I mean very small part of me is happy that this has happened because maybe now i will get a fully working xbox 360 and a few goodies into the bargain.

gonna throw in a few lies like:

I just got the net in for xbox live
    I queued in the cold for an hour for HALO 3 at midnight
    I recently subscribed to a 12 xbox related mag
    etc...

They better produce with the goods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

Trilla wrote:
    This is not on as I bought 3 new games on thursday....either they give me a fantastic offer or I want a refund for every xbox related product I purchased, from the accessories and games to the 3 or 4 magazines I bought! No xbox live 3 months free or a free copy of Project Gotham Racing (or other old cheap game)will pawn me off.

thats seriously bad, but i cant see the above happening, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

basquille wrote:
    The one thing i can't understand and hopefully someone can clarify this for me..

.. how is it that a hardware glitch as serious as this that has completely overlooked since launch? I mean how are the consoles bought now suffering the same RRoD conditions as the XBOX's bought on launch day and soon after.

Surely Microsoft knows this RRoD issue has been getting nothing but pissed off customers and bad press. Would they not have fixed it? I can't understand it at all. Whatever the cost to fix it.. surely it evens out at the number of consoles being bricked, the number of free games / Live subscriptions they've needed to give out to angry customers.

was watching a discussion on this recently. The belief among the industry gurus is that if MS issue a recall, they are acknowledging that there is an issue and taking a hit on cost in replacing etc. Its more cost effective for them to deal with the issue as they arise and keep it low key. Its extremely poor Customer service in my opinion.

Oddly enough.. it does make sense alright faceman. Thanks for the clarification. They could still not admit there's an issue (keep it hush-hush) yet fix the problem internally which wouldn't damage their reputation as there would be less RRoD and less complaints from the consumer. Microsoft don't even have to acknowledge their was any real issue to the consumers and general public.

Poor customer service would be an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Sorry Trilla, man, thats tough! Basquille is speaking the truth... can't say anything mare about this problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JohnG2176

I got the three red lights myself about six weeks ago, i have the console back two weeks, fully repaired or so i thought. i ordered halo 3 online to have it this week. Last night the three red lights came back again!!! I'm so annoyed, reading the halo 3 leaflet just isn't as much fun as playing the actual game ye know.

Waiting on a 2nd set of stickers to come by email. One good thing is that they are giving me a free wireless controller, small compensation in my opinion.

On another note, my aunt had some issues with her sons console so she got in contact xbox support. She was on to them for two months trying to get the stickers posted/emailed out to her,

the whole system there is a joke, i'd chance trading it in for an elite console when it returns again, but the same thing would probably happen to that one too.

Bill Gates, you have at least one unhappy customer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

What gives any of you the right to be annoyed or pissed of?!

You know there's a problem so don't buy an xbox 360 end of story.

If you do buy one you accept these problems so live with it.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand your mentality - researching the console, seeing there's a 30% failure rate, deciding to buy one anyway and then complaining when it fails?! And expecting decent customer service from a company that sells a defective product in the 1st place!

Just don't buy one or shut up and take it on the chin IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

JohnG2176 wrote:
    the whole system there is a joke, i'd chance trading it in for an elite console when it returns again, but the same thing would probably happen to that one too.

In response to Basquilles question above, while peoples responses to defective products are "maybe ill buy the updated version and maybe that wont be as defective" why would they change?

People have accepted this failure with the console, and continue to buy them. If ms were sent a clear message by people stopping buying the console they would fix it quick enough.

skywalker wrote:
    In response to Basquilles question above, while peoples responses to defective products are "maybe ill buy the updated version and maybe that wont be as defective" why would they change?
    Because any unforeseeable issues which occur at a console's launch should be fixed a year or so down the line. Any of these problems ideally should be addressed and rectified.
    skywalker wrote:
    People have accepted this failure with the console, and continue to buy them. If ms were sent a clear message by people stopping buying the console they would fix it quick enough.
    Who's buying new one's? Everyone i've heard who got a RRoD have got a replacement from Microsoft, consumers continue to buy the console simply because either (a) there is a small margin who have never heard of the RRoD and buy the console on a whim or (b) people buy the console simply they take the risk and hope the problem won't affect their machine.
    LIGHTNING wrote:
    I disagree 100% Microsoft has already given a lifetime warranty on all launch 360`s something it didn't have to do and it has cost them millions already.
    Well.. whoop-de-doo! :rolleyes:

What about the even greater margin of us who didn't buy launch consoles. We should just accept the fact we have a 3 year warranty.

I'm sorry but praising a company who offer a small percentage of the market who own their console a lifetime warranty is utter bollocks. I wasn't aware of this but this makes me even dislike them even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Trilla wrote:
    Haha cheers man! No I agree entirely. Part, and I mean very small part of me is happy that this has happened because maybe now i will get a fully working xbox 360 and a few goodies into the bargain.

gonna throw in a few lies like:

I just got the net in for xbox live
    I queued in the cold for an hour for HALO 3 at midnight
    I recently subscribed to a 12 xbox related mag
    etc...

They better produce with the goods!

any update on the compensation yet ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

LIGHTNING wrote:
    I'm sorry but its unrealistic to be looking for a 3 year warranty. You get a 1 year warranty with the 360 which is the standard for most electrical goods.

actually, under consumer law you the manufacturer must cover you for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

LIGHTNING wrote:
    What about the even greater margin of us who didn't buy launch consoles. We should just accept the fact we have a 3 year warranty.

I'm sorry but praising a company who offer a small percentage of the market who own their console a lifetime warranty is utter bollocks. I wasn't aware of this but this makes me even dislike them even more.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but its unrealistic to be looking for a 3 year warranty. You get a 1 year warranty with the 360 which is the standard for most electrical goods.You cant expect all companies to be dishing out long warranties just because you feel wronged by them. Its the same thing with cars people expect their cars to run for an 5-10 years without any problems and when they do get problems they expect the manufacturer to fix them for free even though its out of warranty.

The 360 like all high tech goods can suffer from failure and most companies have a certain percentage that they expect to fail. Microsoft has intentionally made the 360 to brake after its warranty runs out and has already offered a to fix any launch 360`s. If you want to you can buy the extended warranty. If you have a problem with it then dont buy the 360 its a simple as that.[/QUOTE]

The Xbox 360 failure has been linked to the wrong type of lead-free solder being used on the PCBs. Most people would consider this a serious design flaw, not to mention the 30% failure rate. After several thermal cycles, a large amount of xboxs will fail, because of this design flaw. This can hardly be compared to the standard manufacturer allowance on a product. Also, I cant see the reason why microsoft would want the 360 to intentionally break, can you? Microsoft are thriving on their strong software and xbox live service, so a long lasting, trouble free console would be a priority, not simply flog a few consoles and head for the border with a suitcase full of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Microsoft has the software side of things sorted but screwed up on the hardware front. Sony, on the other hand, have great hardware in their system but have screwed up on the software front.

Has anyone who owns an elite had any problems yet? I bought an Elite last weekend and these constant RROD threads do not make enjoyable reading.

(Xbox Live is great by the way!) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

silvine wrote:

Has anyone who owns an elite had any problems yet? I bought an Elite last weekend and these constant RROD threads do not make enjoyable reading.

(Xbox Live is great by the way!) :D

bought an elite myself last week along with halo 3 and have no problems so far , but i had to buy an elite as my second 360 got RROD and is in germany at the moment .

just make sure you keep your reciept safe and if you have any problems within the 12 months bring it back to the shop you bought it from for a replacment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Trilla wrote:
    Bought an xbox360 in April this year. Was working fine for about 2 months. Games occasionally froze and about 6 weeks ago the rings appeared.

Sent it away, got a new one sent out to me after 2 weeks with a 3 year warranty and 1 month free xbox live.

That was less than a month ago. Was playing Fight Night 3 last night (after an overdose of HALO 3 the night before) and the feckin lights appeared again. This time I unplugged everything and re-set the machine and it worked fine. This is a brand new machine and I lost the plot when the lights appeared.

I rang xbox support this morning, they emailing me the shipping labels again and some "Escalation team" or something like that (couldn't make out the girl over the phone) will be ringing me in the next 24-48hrs to discuss a complementary/compensation package.

My question is has this ever happened to anyone twice before? If so what did you receive...

Dunno why this needs another thread, there must be hundreds for the same thing here now.
    To answer your question, yes it has happened to numerous boardsies more than once. You are lucky to be getting any compensation as I haven't heard of anyone else getting it for 2nd repair. Most likely it will be something along the lines of a free game or accessory.
    For my fourth repair I got 1 free game (choice between old 1st party titles, of which I had all of the ones I wanted) and 1 accessory (e.g. wireless joypad, Vision cam etc). I know someone else who got two games but his was lost and took 2 months to be returned.

Clover wrote:
    bought an elite myself last week along with halo 3 and have no problems so far , but i had to buy an elite as my second 360 got RROD and is in germany at the moment .

just make sure you keep your reciept safe and if you have any problems within the 12 months bring it back to the shop you bought it from for a replacment.

Silvine & Clover - you do realise the elite carrys the exact same risk as the normal 360 don't you? New manufacturing for system hasn't begun yet to deal with the problem so all current elite's are subject to the exact same problems

Don't know why either of you bothered - should've waited until next year when they sort the problem, don't be coming on here in the future moaning about rings of death etc - your own fault for buying a defective system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Silvine & Clover - you do realise the elite carrys the exact same risk as the normal 360 don't you? New manufacturing for system hasn't begun yet to deal with the problem so all current elite's are subject to the exact same problems

Don't know why either of you bothered - should've waited until next year when they sort the problem, don't be coming on here in the future moaning about rings of death etc - your own fault for buying a defective system

i for one am very well aware that it Carry's the same risk , thats why i'll be keeping my receipt in a very safe place but thats a risk i'm willing to take.

as for the future moaning , your damn right i'll moan although it will be to ms first and then i'll come on here and start the 1 millionth thread with the topic " my elite / 360 has RROD and M$ support suck " or something along those lines ;)

• Advertisement

D'ya think there's any truth to that rumour of an 'XBox 360 Falcon' which will do away with the RRoD issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

basquille wrote:
    D'ya think there's any truth to that rumour of an 'XBox 360 Falcon' which will do away with the RRoD issues?

Its real, its just whether or not its in the shops yet and if it will fix the problem which is up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Isn't Falcon on some of the Halo 3 360's already ?

And why would the 65nm cpu / Falcon make a difference to this RROD issue.

Isn't the problem due to the gpu overheating not the cpu, and it's only the cpu that's changing as far as I know.

I also would have thought the Elites have a lesser chance of overheating as didn't MS beef up the gpu cooling system ?

I also noticed my Elite is slightly quieter then my launch 360...on the dashboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Theboinkmaster,

I heard that they'd installed an extra heatsink which should reduce the chances of RROD. Anyway after sampling Gears of War, Halo 3 and Bioshock I'm glad I didn't wait. If it breaks, it breaks. I'll ask them to replace it with the newer model!

In the meantime time I want to have some fun between now and "sometime next year".

silvine wrote:
    Theboinkmaster,

I heard that they'd installed an extra heatsink which should reduce the chances of RROD. Anyway after sampling Gears of War, Halo 3 and Bioshock I'm glad I didn't wait. If it breaks, it breaks. I'll ask them to replace it with the newer model!

In the meantime time I want to have some fun between now and "sometime next year".

Cool dude ill keep my fingers crossed for ya :D

Got a wireless controller and 2 games - Viva Pinata and Kameo, 3 year warranty and 1 month xbox live (again).

Oh btw the console has been working since, and microsoft are sending out the free stuff regardless of weather I send them the console or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Falcon won't make any difference on the 3ROD as this is mainly caused by the GPU and the crappy heatsink on it, they've now installed a heatpipe onto the GPU heatsink which leads up to an additional heatsink, this should make the console more stable. Look for the HDMI version of the Premiums and you will be sure of getting the additional GPU cooling and the quiter Benq DVD drive.

Snake

Advertisement