Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Symbian Slingplayer Wow. but O2 ridiculous data charges

• 29-09-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

This week Sling media has just release the symbian version of Slingplayer. It is available for 30 day trial at: http://downloads.slingmedia.com/object/KB-005575.html (This is not beta or '3' 'x' version)

I have it working perfectly on an N95 and E65 on O2 network with Slingbox connected to Skybox. I can watch and change all my home sky channels remotely on my phone. Previous to this, only '3' users could use slingplayer on symbian phones as part of their 'x' package.

One or two issues:
    I was using it on finder ID mode on my home network and could not connect. I since tried it on IP mode it worked fine.

As for remote mode, it works fine on GPRS/3g and WLAN (wireless from remote location) using finder ID. I had set up two directory entries.

BUT MY MAIN ISSUE IS THE COST OF THE O2 DATA ADD-ON
    For €9.99 they give me a pathetic 10mb
    Do they not realize that data is now mesure in gigabytes and that KB and MB are like the old farthings.
    For €9.99 '3' give 250mb. '3' also give and unlimited addon for €19.99 (suject to fair ussage policy of about 2gb)

boo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

sorry, don't mean to threadjack but got a quick question.. was looking into getting a slingbox. Anyone know retail carriers in Dublin? Have one of those "one for all" vouchers i was hoping to use (obviously can't use it online).... Peats used to do them but not anymore and Argos don't seem to have them.. Anywhere else? Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

I picked mine up in Dixons in the square tallaght a few weeks ago.

corm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't use the word unlimited if there's a cap. Please! :'(

But yes, 3 do seem to have the best data offerings currently ... any day now the others had better line up behind them - with the number of complaints about 3 that I've seen people will be switching in droves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I saw one im cantec in athlone last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Quintron, (Highjacker)

Dixons, PC world, Currys, etc
    I also think that the '3' stores sells it too.

So does anybody have any comment on O2 data charges??

Using Slingplayer on my N95 in widescreen/high on 3g/gprs connection is 1.7mb/pm.

At that rate Sling is a 'no no' on O2. A 20mb data addon is €20 for 12 mins tv:mad:

An unlimited (2gb fair usage) with '3' is €20 also but gives 1,200 mins +

Yes Ciaran, I agree that they should not be able to call it unlimited, but they do and thats fact. But I see on O2s terms and conditions, video download is not allowed. So a MB is not a real mb if they decide what you can download.
    A lot of broadband companies have fair usage policies and will 'slow down' people who are 'serial' downloaders even if on unlimited package. Read the small print. They dont even state how much is considered 'unfair usage', as 3 is doing.

After ringing O2 they state that the data addon I mention is their latest, and their old one (still on the website) was more expensive.:mad:

I explained that this was 2007. The girl was very polite. But I am not prepared to pay €2,000 for 2GB to O2 for being more polite, when the non-polite '3' charge €20.

Regarding 'catching up' O2 (in Ireland) took forever to offer 3G, like over a year behind the rest. So I dont think we will be getting unlimited data for twenty euro in the near future.

Boo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

O2 in the UK are launching an "unlimited" (2GB) data addon for around £8, so hopefully it will catch on here soon too.

There was also a thread a couple of weeks ago that said you could get a bigger add on if you ring data support, but it was a bit expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

cheers boopolo.
    picking up one in D.I.D. electrical today (last place I'd have thought!) which are participants in the One for All voucher. Happy Days.
    Q (highjacker ;-))

P.S: My comment on o2 data charges is that they need to open up their eyes and see there is an opportunity for them, with their large Irish customer base and as a latecomer to the high speed data market (for the common end user) to offer 3G/3.5G at affordable and realistic prices, comparable with EU offerings, and hopefully they could snag the lions share of the market while Vodafone slumber in their myopic monopoly. 3 are doing a good job, but the broadband and 3.5G services are too shaky to rely on with any confidence yet, and of course, they have a large mound to climb in customer sales to be effective at turning our archaic pricing market into one that reflects current trends in Europe.

It's not just data. For prepaid customers in general, O2 are now the most expensive in the country. They really need to get their act together. While I found the network and customer service to be fantastic, I just think they're too expensive, especially since none of my calls are to other O2 numbers.

Thanks Quintron, Matrim & Karsini,

Actually went into O2 store today and on the brochure there was a data add-on: 1GB for €5 and €5 for each additional GB.:) But I missread it.:mad: It was MB and not GB.
    Asked the guy in the shop was it a typo. He said it was indeed €5 per MB. He admitted it was very embarrassing for him. He also stated that they expect a new data package (of the gigabyte variety) to be launched before Christmas.

Karsini, unlike you, all of 'our' phones (total of six) are O2 billpay. Their customer service is second to none, but at a very high cost.

This extra cost is starting to border on the ridiculas. €5 per mb (o2) versus €0.01 (1 cent) (3 based on €20 for 2GB)

I feel insulted from a company that we give thousands to each year.

Boo

boopolo wrote: »
    Thanks Quintron, Matrim & Karsini,

Actually went into O2 store today and on the brochure there was a data add-on: 1GB for €5 and €5 for each additional GB.:) But I missread it.:mad: It was MB and not GB.
    Asked the guy in the shop was it a typo. He said it was indeed €5 per MB. He admitted it was very embarrassing for him. He also stated that they expect a new data package (of the gigabyte variety) to be launched before Christmas.

Karsini, unlike you, all of 'our' phones (total of six) are O2 billpay. Their customer service is second to none, but at a very high cost.

This extra cost is starting to border on the ridiculas. €5 per mb (o2) versus €0.01 (1 cent) (3 based on €20 for 2GB)

I feel insulted from a company that we give thousands to each year.

Boo
    Get "DCFLAT" at €48.40 per month for 2GB if you are using a lot of data. It may not be the best price around, but if you're on O2 and you're using lots of data on your phone SIM then that is the plan for you.

Ask data support to put it on as when I did it they did it instantly and knew exactly what I wanted - 1850601740 or 1740 from your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

matrim wrote: »
    O2 in the UK are launching an "unlimited" (2GB) data addon for around £8, so hopefully it will catch on here soon too.
    Their "unlimited" data plan for £7.50 a month is restricted to handsets only (no using your phone as a modem) and has a "fair use" of 200MB a month!

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/tariffs/paygo/paygoboltons0153/o2webbolton

Thanks for that info Ciaran,
    it's weird that they dont mention this on their website and that the guy in the shop didn't either. Having said that; why are they charging almost €50 for a sevice that should only be less than €20.

Lawhec,
    I saw that on the uk site too. How can 200mb:mad: be considered 'unlimited' even with 'fair usage'.:eek:'Fair' to whom? Shareholders? These 'fair usage' policies were brought out to counteract people whom used their internet connection to the detriment of others. In other words slowing down others. To me fair usage for somebody paying €40 with landline broadband should be about 200GB/300GB per month. On 3G/GPRS i feel this should be in the region of 20/30GB. I like to download a lot on my internet connection, but I don't think I ever went much over 100GB in a month, even though I get speeds capable of down loading near to one terrabyte (1,000GB) in a month. I do think if everybody used 1 terrabye pm, the whole network would breakdown. Also note If you use your connection off-peak you make a difference towards 'fair usage'.

Having said all that; I agree totally with Ciaran.
    If the say 'UNLIMITED' it should be as it says.
    Because every ISP (BB or 3G) have a different definition of fair usage, I think the 'unlimited' with 'fair usage' advertising should not be allowed in brochures. It is miss-selling. The fact that there is a fair usage of say 2GB means it is LIMITED to 2GB. And when I was going to school, the word LIMITED was the opposite to UNLIMITED.

Boo

note: 1024 kbs/mbs/gbs are rounded off to 1,000s for the purpose of simplicity :D

It's listed here - http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Business/Price+Plans/Old+price+plans/3G+data+card+tariffs
    It's called "Heavy" there. I agree that prices could be a lot better and I really don't see why they don't advertise it as a proper HSDPA plan for people the the n95, 6120, and other devices. As for "should only be less than €20" ... it's hard to work out where you got this from. If you mean match 3 then fine, but 3 doesn't work properly half the time and I've not had a problem with the O2 one since I got it. I bloody well wish they would reduce the price though.

Yes Ciaran,
    always from the cheapest.

Also if 3 can make profit from that, you can be sure O2 have even more profit.

Boo

note: going for a few pints now:D

boopolo wrote: »
    Yes Ciaran,
    always from the cheapest.

Also if 3 can make profit from that, you can be sure O2 have even more profit.

Boo

note: going for a few pints now:D
    Fair enough ... my point is just that O2 provide a better service for the €40 then 3 do for the €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

hehe for the laugh I stuck a O2 speakeasy sim into my N95 - surfted to google and performed one search i.e just to the results page - 80cent taken off the speakeasy balance!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ciaranfo wrote: »
    As for "should only be less than €20" ... it's hard to work out where you got this from. If you mean match 3 then fine, but 3 doesn't work properly half the time and I've not had a problem with the O2 one since I got it. I bloody well wish they would reduce the price though.

this is really the point. maybe what o2 are charging is what it costs to provide a good service. 3 are charging less but it doesn't work most of the time and they sacked their english call centre staff and hired indians for pennies a day. if they had decent customer care and paid people to set up their network properly then they'd have to charge more for their services.

Yah, thanks for clearing that up. Reliable service with knowledgable staff over clowns in customer service hats providing internet on floppy disks.

Fair enough Ciaran, but ....

I cannot see how we use 60% of or data charge for good customer service.

And when you think about it Ciaran, O2 dont even advertise that 'prefered rate'.

(BTW Is it €40 or €40 + VAT)

The rate they advertise is the €10 for 10mb. This is daylight robbery in November 2007. This is just a ripoff.

O2 in the UK have competitive prices, even with the new iPhone packages http://www.o2.co.uk/iPhone-Tariffs.html

SO I SAY (well not just I): Wake Up O2 We think you are ripping us off

Boo

€40 + VAT so it's €48.40 monthly. I'm not saying it's a great rate. I am saying it's better value than 3 unfortunitly.

• Advertisement

Ok Ciaran,

That is almost €50 for 2GB as an addon

The standalone o2 3g datacard you have with modem is less than that for 5GB pm? Am I right?

Does Vodafone not charge €15 euro for 5GB pm 3G standalone datacard.

Maybe this means there is hope of a decent addon package soon.

Has anyone tried to put the o2 datacard sim in a cellphone? I understand you would only have data if it did work. But you could use Skype for cheap VOIP calls.

Boopolo

The O2 broadband is €40 per month for 10GB. It's €20 for the first 3 months.
    Vodafone is 18 month contract and only €15 for the first 3 months.

there are other T&C yada yada yada on their websites.

You can put your O2 data/Broadband SIM in a phone and it will work for calls / texts / MMS / GPRS / Internet. You will be charged through the nose for calls though. Again, pricing on the O2 website.

Advertisement