Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Bucket Seats

Options
  • 29-09-2007 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Just wondering what the pro's and con's are of (Racing) Bucket Seat's in comparison to standard seats? Ive sat in a lot, and they are extremley comfortable. Just wondering why they are not used as much.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Expense, safety, and non-standard equipment would be the reasons most don't use them. My Cooper S has John Cooper Works seats in Leather (Which are basically rebranded Sparco Milanos with a higher quality trim), and they're damn expensive. On top of that, the normal seats in my MINI had airbags, the JCW seats don't, and on top of that, while I love them, there are others out there who would probably have preferred the originals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Cons - cost, some require modifications to the fitting frame (welding), etc

Pros - they are comfortable, looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Id argue the comfortableness on long journeys.

I've used omp eco fixed back and would definitly say avoid fixed back if possible,i used to get awfull lower back pain from them.I had sparco torino's and found them not very comfortable

Ive recaro seats at present and there the most supportive and comfortable seats ive used so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Konig have the widest variety of subframes. Fit any vehicle. Expensive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 EoinyW

I have Corbeau fixed-back seats in my subaru with Sparco 3 point road harnesses and love them plus they look the part however everyone has different opinions, My missus F****N hates them with a passion!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Have to say the seats in my Impreza are the best I've ever sat in when 'pressing on'. The only better I've sat in are in an E46 M3 CSL:

bmwm3csl03_inter2.JPG

Anything with 'wings' (don't know if they are called that) for the shoulders and decent thigh support always seems comfortable to be, but it's an individual preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

antodeco wrote:
    Hi Folks,
    Just wondering what the pro's and con's are of (Racing) Bucket Seat's in comparison to standard seats? Ive sat in a lot, and they are extremley comfortable. Just wondering why they are not used as much.

Thanks

They are harder to get into than an ordinary seat. Older people, people with injuries, mobility problems etc, all find them difficult to get in and out of. Ditto low seat height, and lower ride height in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

best bucket seats i've used (as in sat in while driving, not as a passenger) was a 280bhp 4wd evo VII. all that accelleration, bouncing around and g-forces on turning, a standard seat just wouldn't be safe.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi All,
    Thanks for all the replies. RE: Safety, I was wondering exactly what you meant. Is that in comparison to standard equip (airbags) as oppose to the physical aspect of the seats?

Also, in terms of long journeys, is it the "dead @rse" syndrome that happens? :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fitting bucket seats may actually increase insurance premiums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Fitting bucket seats may actually increase insurance premiums.

Really? How so?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Increases cars attractiveness to a potential thief. It may also lead an underwriter to question the type of driver who is insured.

Advertisement