Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

death of 2 firefighters

• 29-09-2007 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

just in case some people have had their heads buried in the sand for the last couple days, two retained firefighters lost their lives in bray during the week while fighting a vacant warehouse fire in the town center. a book on condolences has been set up by the retained firefighters association of ireland the link is below it would be nice if a couple of members of the public from waterford could sign the book. we are lucky in waterford to have a 24hr fulltime service serviced by 32 fulltime fighters we also have 14 retained firefighters ready to be called whenever needed.

thank you for reading

www.anvilbook.com/guestbook.php?nrfa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Stevem

Yes was terrible news alright. The people of Waterford don't know how lucky they are to have a full time professional service in there city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

It really was dreadfull. One of my friends dads is one of the past time firemen in bray and he is around the same age as one of the men that died. The first time I heard it on the news they did not mention the names of the dead and I was hoping against hope it was not my friends dad. Lukily it wasn't. I'll sign that book now.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

It was awful all the same, My sympathies go out to both families, but tell me Portlairge, would it had really made a difference if they had have been full time fire fighters or not. Was it just a case of the ceilings falling in on top of the poor unfortunate firemen.

Maybe there is some sort of differences in the training which they would have received, had they of been full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

Aquos76 wrote:
    It was awful all the same, My sympathies go out to both families, but tell me Portlairge, would it had really made a difference if they had have been full time fire fighters or not. Was it just a case of the ceilings falling in on top of the poor unfortunate firemen.

Maybe there is some sort of differences in the training which they would have received, had they of been full time.

the training is a little different in that part-time firefighters recieve 2 weeks initial training and 2 weeks breathing appratus training and then they train once a week, where as full-time firefighters recieve 3 months initial training and then train every day as part of their duties..
    and if thy had have been full time they would have a faster responce time and meaby they would have got there before the fire got totally out of control.. and a roof can fall any time....

i was at one of the funerals today and there were about 1000 people at it and these comprised of 350-400 firefighters from all over ireland the uk northern ireland and even as far away as new york it was a very moving funeral just hope we never see a firefighters funeral for a long long time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Can you imagine looking out the top window of a fire station & seeing a house on fire ? literally 2 second walk away .... well you cant put that fire out until your crew of part time fire fighters arrive. Many of them have to use the herbert rd/ kilbride lane junction to get there. The traffic lights allow 2 cars through if lucky at a time. Yet they must sit in traffic as they are not allowed flashing lights or sirens to get through. So eventually they arrive at the station get kitted out & off they go..... Now thats the simplified version....

In the Old court estate there have been a number of fires, where a number of children have lost their lives. This estate is 100 ft from the fire station.. & why did they lose their lives - because there was not a full time fire service in Bray.

Likewise Mr Murray & Mr O Shaughnessey lost there lives. Had there been a full time fire service the fire they were dealing with would not have been so out of control when they eventually get there.

Until we get a full time fire service how many more will die . Are my 4 year old & 5 year old next on this list ??? No one knows. I only live 5 miutes from the fire station but if the people living 2 minutes away from the station have no chance of survival with the present situation, what chance does everyone else have?

We need a full time fire service immediately before there are any more deaths in this tragic town. My thoughts are with all the families.

Aquos76 wrote:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

/signed

Advertisement