Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barm brack

• 29-09-2007 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Where can one get good brack, now that its season has come around?

Bewley's used to do a nice one, low and wide, with a top glistening with dark sweetness and an inside fruity and yellow from saffron. Superquinn's one is just about edible - well, it's ok if you don't think of it as brack.

Sources, please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I used to think it was 'Barn'. Whats Barm anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Barm is yeast, and 'brack' is an English pronunciation of the Irish 'breac'.

But meanwhile, where do I get a nice brack? Hallowe'en is nearly here, and I won't have time to bake one this Samhain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My mam makes a nice brack.

Or, Superquinn doa really nice one too. It even has a small bronze ring in it.

Mind your teeth though.

I really don't like the Superquinn ones - too bready, too tall, not moist enough, not fruity enough, too... generic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Aldi do a surprisingly nice one, it's not called Barm Brack though - I think it masquerades under the name of Rich Fruit Tea Loaf.

Blooming gorgeous with real butter spread on it and a cuppa though.

Rich Tea Loaf, Oxford Lunch, etc are lovely, but they're not brack! </purist>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

maybe, but this one is very like my mam's homemade barm brack - moist and fruity (ooh matron) and very very yummy.

Now I'll have to go to Aldi on the way home to buy one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

boreds wrote:
    I used to think it was 'Barn'. Whats Barm anyway?
    Me too! I was always wondering what the barn connection was. Most of the shop one are grand once lightly toasted with a good layer of butter and a cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I thought it was barn too, used to think they were made in a barn when I was younger :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I have to say that I normally get the gateau one and find it lovely. Speaking of which I must take myself into a shop one of the days and get one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Archeron

Every year, I bite into my piece of brack and find, with a clang, that I have once again been "lucky" enough to get the stupid bloody ring. I tells ya, my kingdom for a nice barm brack that doesnt have pointless bits of metal inside. (and wrapped in gooey paper too for that added EWWWW factor).

Advertisement