Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Is Wrong With Shevchenko?

• 29-09-2007 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Seriously. I watched him in action against Fulham today and he was absolutely terrible. I'm sure that I'll hear the usual old claptrap about Chelsea not suiting his playing style, frankly, that's bolocks. Reasons why . . .
    • Free kicks, Shev got the lions share of them today and it was embarassing to watch him either fire them straight into the wall or send them ballooning over the bar.
    • Crossing, when he got out wide, his crossing into the box was shocking. Either too high or too low and never in the direction of a Chelsea player.
    • Pace and strength, or rather, his complete lack of it. Shev was never the quickest of forwards, but he always had the strength to be able to hold his ground and push his way past players. Now he can't even beat crap defenders like Aaron Hughes and ends up being forced to run out towards the corner flag when he receives the ball from midfield.
    • Finishing, you have the ball at your feet, you're inside the box with only the keeper to beat. A good striker will beat the keeper the vast majority of times. Shevchenko is getting several of these chances and fluffing them each time.

It's frustrating that rather than getting a world class striker, that the Premier League has gotten a lame duck.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

reckon he has just lost it, in his head, and i dont think he'll get it back while at Chelsea, but i'd be sure if he went elsewhere (not in the PL) he'd be back to near his best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He needs to come home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The most important part of a player is the head. His confidence is shattered. You could say all the above about a certain Uruguay international that played for Man Utd a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

eirebhoy wrote:
    The most important part of a player is the head. His confidence is shattered. You could say all the above about a certain Uruguay international that played for Man Utd a few years ago.

Couldnt have said it better. The lad's confidence is shattered, I really feel for him. The Chelsea fans today were an absolute disgrace booing him on his birthday.

I bet that if he went back to Milan he would be back to his old form within 3 months.

In Milan he was God, now he's a scapegoat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The reason I posted this was because I thought with a new manager, Shevchenko could wipe the slate and try to impress Grant. He didn't even turn up today and was rightly subbed just after half time.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Whatever you say about Forlan, he always tried his heart out hence why he will always be looked upon more fondly by United supporters than other rejects like Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba. I didn't see any desire or effort on Shev's part to receive the ball or to play with passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Yes but was Forlan ever booed by United fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Seaneh wrote:
    He needs to come home.
    QFT.

I've watched him several times playing for the Ukraine, and it's like watching the old Sheva. Movement, link-up play, good finisher, good in the air... Then I watch him in the Chelsea blue and I think, "what a complete donkey."

Back to Milan or back to Kiev - if he wants to return to his former glory that is, and not just make a big pile of money for doing sod-all, as he is at present...

Archimedes wrote:
    In fairness, the Chelsea fans stuck by him for a long time. I wouldn't blame them for booing him today, he was the worst player on the pitch.

he wants to return to his former glory that is, and not just make a big pile of money for doing sod-all, as he is at present...
    His wife is American and he has made noises about playing in MLS, so it wouldn't surprise me that he could end up Stateside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

he was caught up in the battle between Roman and Jose. i think Jose purposely destroyed his confidence as a dig at RA for lumping players on him. he always had a pop at him whenever he could. given a better manager and time Sheva might regain some of his old ability but as he's fighting the aging cycle and coming near the end of his career this will be a difficult task. i don't think he'll ever look truly world class again even if he were to leave Chelsea, José made sure of that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

meh, what a pile of nonsense.

His confidence is gone becaus he realised he couldn't cope with the pace of the game in england.

getting the legs bitten off him away to blackburn was never in his locker, all this crap about needing to be loved etc it's a pile of steaming sh*t he just couldn't cut it and never will he may return to a much slower league and score a few goals but apart from that he's been found out and it's over.

ntlbell wrote:
    he's been found out and it's over.

now that's an perfect example of nonsense. you don't just go from one of the worlds best strikers to absolutely useless over a summer just because you changed leagues. unproven players might get found out, but a player of Shevchenko's calibre who's consistently proved himself for almost a decade?

now that's an perfect example of nonsense. you don't just go from one of the worlds best strikers to absolutely useless over a summer just because you changed leagues. unproven players might get found out, but a player of Shevchenko's calibre who's consistently proved himself for almost a decade?

Oh right, so it's jose's fault for not giving him enough love? like he was a 10yr old child caught in a divorce between roma and jose YES this is a much more intelligent excuse you're really on the cutting edge of football psycology.

jose inolved in a conspiracy to secretly ruin his confidence ok.....

your right i'm talking nonsense lol

well done sir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just about the original post, Sheva was never the fastest of strikers?

He was up there with Henry 2/3 years ago, he was lightning. As people have said, the only thing wrong with him is confidence, he was wrong to join Chelsea and will be gone in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yeah Sheva was so fast, upto his last season with Milan, he was never really an Inzaghi or Shearer style of striker.

I bet he gets 15 goals this season in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In Milan, he had Kaka and Pirlo feeding him passes. For Chelsea, he's meant to play right wing. You do the math.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

PHB wrote:
    In Milan, he had Kaka and Pirlo feeding him passes. For Chelsea, he's meant to play right wing. You do the math.

QFT.

I'd probably get 20 a season with those two behind me.

ntlbell wrote:
    Oh right, so it's jose's fault for not giving him enough love? like he was a 10yr old child caught in a divorce between roma and jose YES this is a much more intelligent excuse you're really on the cutting edge of football psycology.

jose inolved in a conspiracy to secretly ruin his confidence ok.....

your right i'm talking nonsense lol

well done sir.

love??!!. i'm talking about confidence here, totally different concepts... what an idiotic post. you clearly are talking nonsense regardless of whether i am or not talking nonsense...

but on my points...

Jose clearly did not like the guy and saw him as a threat to his power or what not. Jose did not play the guy in the correct position or try to accomodate him in anyway. Jose would have a dig at him whenever he possibly could (without being too extreme for RA) in the press. Sheva was a personal friend of RA (whom Jose wasn't seeing eye to ewye with) etc. etc.

there's more evidence here to suggest that Jose did not like or want Sheva to do well than of Sheva's talents miraculously disappearing overnight (or that he never had talents to being with as you seem to suggest).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Archimedes wrote:

Did he ever give them a reason to? Fans appreciate a player who works hard but is not getting the rub of the green or even one that isnt good enough but tries. What they dont appreciate is someone collecting a massive wage to wander aimlessly around the pitch seemingly not giveing a **** and not putting in the effort.

Why cant you? Its a completely different style of football. To use Torres as an example, he got kicked up and down the pitch at reading during the week and seemed to revel in it , Shevchenko doesnt sem to like the style and pace of the game in England. In Italy he had more time on the ball to relax and do what he had to. Some players just arent suited to the game and will wither.

• Advertisement

love??!!. i'm talking about confidence here, totally different concepts... what an idiotic post. you clearly are talking nonsense regardless of whether i am or not talking nonsense...

but on my points...

Jose clearly did not like the guy and saw him as a threat to his power or what not. Jose did not play the guy in the correct position or try to accomodate him in anyway. Jose would have a dig at him whenever he possibly could (without being too extreme for RA) in the press. Sheva was a personal friend of RA (whom Jose wasn't seeing eye to ewye with) etc. etc.

there's more evidence here to suggest that Jose did not like or want Sheva to do well than of Sheva's talents miraculously disappearing overnight (or that he never had talents to being with as you seem to suggest).

yes love been loved at a club you know...like henry.......ronaldhino......zidane....

The milan fans loved shev everyone at the club did,apprently he didn't get enough huggles at chelsea which effected his performances.....see?

jose not liking shev has nothing to do with it.

read this post slowly....
    YOUR POINT

worlds best striker can't score because the manager and the owner didn't get on, week after week he was in prem's poorest defenders pockets and didn't have the pace or strenght to beat any of them. it was just all down to some row.

MY POINT

world class striker comes to the prem and flops because he doesn't have the strenght or pace to deal with prem defenders nor contend with the physical battle in the prem.

see??

not much difference accept mammy and daddy having a lickle argument and a grown man getting upset....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

he was caught up in the battle between Roman and Jose. i think Jose purposely destroyed his confidence as a dig at RA for lumping players on him. he always had a pop at him whenever he could. given a better manager and time Sheva might regain some of his old ability but as he's fighting the aging cycle and coming near the end of his career this will be a difficult task. i don't think he'll ever look truly world class again even if he were to leave Chelsea, José made sure of that imo.

:rolleyes:

yeah, have you tried the conspiracy forum with this theory ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Ntlbell that post is wrong in so many ways.Nobody can/or justify the managers/owners not getting on is anyway a factor in Shevs sudden downturn in performance.Maybe he like all foreigners to the english game needed the full 1st season to acclimatise to the frantic huff and puff football or maybe just maybe Jose stuck to his dour brand of football/tactics which didn't really involve Shev in anyway.To me the tactics never changed last season and the dour football continued with or without Shev or even Ballack playing because Joses gameplan worked mostly.Don't accomadate the players i didn't buy or play ,the tactics which bypass them and are successful to an extent ??? The key factor is ... Jose didn't want nor buy one of the worlds greatest finishers because tactically the style of play would have to change somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

PHB wrote:
    In Milan, he had Kaka and Pirlo feeding him passes.

No he didn't. He played with Kaka for two years, and in those 2 seasons Kaka only really impressed towards the end of the second one. Also, he was there for a good 4 years when Pirlo joined from Inter and once again Andrea was not the complete article when he joined (otherwise Inter would have kept him). Sheva was amazing with AC every season bar one, and in that season he was still better than most of the others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think its a combination of everything really. Apparantly he's an outcast at training etc. He had to work with a manager that didn't want him, im not talking about love here or cuddles or anything, but its always going to be tough to work with someone who didn't want you bought, and doesn't want to accomadate you in his plans. He seemed alienated from everyone, again with the way chelsea play, the relationship that was in place in the club, the team all being very tight with Jose, except him and to a degree Ballack.

Im sure all of the above, when mixed with the fact that he wasn't enjoying his football due to being kicked around the place has all just basically ruined his confidence, as well as just making him think "fck this". I would say if he had his way he'd be back to Milan this year, and I hope they do let him go. Im sure in an environment where he's more settled and knows his place within the structure of the club he'd be a lot better. It makes a difference, im sure, to actually like your team and want them to succeed, and he doesnt seem to have that with Chelsea.

Fingers crossed we'll see the old Shev and Ronaldo up front together post christmas (in red and black).

growler wrote:
    :rolleyes:

yeah, have you tried the conspiracy forum with this theory ?

i don't think it's too outlandish a claim to make. it was obvious Mourinho pretty much had it in for him...

for example, anytime i saw Sheva at the start of last season he always worked out, but nothing nothing ever worked out for him. now it is obvious to practically everyone that the manner in which Sheva was utilized by Jose was clearly all wrong in terms of working with Sheva's strengths as a player. and since Mourinho obviously knows a thing or two about tactics, why wouldn't he alter this if he was insistent in playing him? and why was he continually criticizing Sheva for not working hard enough when that was clearly not the problem? as a manager you don't do that to your players who are just settling in....

I would be 100% positive that had you given Shevchenko to Sir Alex, or Arsene he would not be the ineffective player he is now. and since Mourinho seems to be a manger equal with their talents the obvious solution to me is that he had no intention of working with Sheva...

d22ontour wrote:
    Ntlbell that post is wrong in so many ways.Nobody can/or justify the managers/owners not getting on is anyway a factor in Shevs sudden downturn in performance.

thats my point thanks!

feel free to confirm the rest of them in case he missed them the first time!!

your good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Whats is wrong with Shevchenko? **** knows.
    What was once the most feared striker in Europe is now the latest Premiership flop. Sure, you can say Jose made his life hard, but this is supposedly a world class player you are talking about. He has the touch of a rapist and the speed of a one legged donkey.

It's never nice to see such a fall from grace and its quite obvious he just has to get out ASAP. Personally, I think his whole attitude and body language stinks and if he was at my club I'd want him shipped out to the highest bidder.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Fingers crossed we'll see the old Shev and Ronaldo up front together post christmas (in red and black).

I've all ready had to a chat to the boh's board about this and well, we don't want them!

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    meh, what a pile of nonsense.

His confidence is gone becaus he realised he couldn't cope with the pace of the game in england.

getting the legs bitten off him away to blackburn was never in his locker, all this crap about needing to be loved etc it's a pile of steaming sh*t he just couldn't cut it and never will he may return to a much slower league and score a few goals but apart from that he's been found out and it's over.

So when you dont think when milan play away to Cheivo or Torino Sheva got the legs bet off him?
    Don't be a fool, child!

His scoring record speaks for itsself.

He is easily one of the 3 best strikers of the last ten years in world football.

Alltime top scorer in CL

Second alltime top scroer in european clubfootball.

All time top scorer at one of the most sucessful clubs in the world.

Dragged Ukarine to a world cup with his goals.

found out my hole, stick him in the man U or arsenal squads and he'd score 20 a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Seaneh wrote:

found out my hole, stick him in the man U or arsenal squads and he'd score 20 a season.

usually i'd agree, but on his present form, particularly yesterday, he was bloody awful in every dept.: crosses, positioning (often) shots, frees, just awful.

When he started he ran all over but was never in the right place, then he stayed lurking for a while but didn't do enought legwork. It must be killing someone like him to see how far their form has dropped, hopefully he'll find the "zone" again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

''I've all ready had to a chat to the boh's board about this and well, we don't want them!''

Give the man his dues..that was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

1: Chelsea's defensive style.
    2: Probably not happy in London.
    3: He's quite old for someone trying to adjust to a new style of play.

This 'found out' stuff is nonsense. Loads of successful players in one league swap to the other and aren't so successful.(it seems to particularly affect strikers due to the difference between static defences and rushing ones)

Forlan and Kanoute are good players but did crap in England.

Bergkamp didn't so great in Italy but was great here. Owen wasn't great at Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Seaneh wrote:
    So when you dont think when milan play away to Cheivo or Torino Sheva got the legs bet off him?
    Don't be a fool, child!

His scoring record speaks for itsself.

He is easily one of the 3 best strikers of the last ten years in world football.

Alltime top scorer in CL

Second alltime top scroer in european clubfootball.

All time top scorer at one of the most sucessful clubs in the world.

Dragged Ukarine to a world cup with his goals.

Agreed
    Espeasaly the bollox about him not being used to rough defending Itlian Defenders are among the toughest/dirtyist in the world.

Agreed
    Espeasaly the bollox about him not being used to rough defending Itlian Defenders are among the toughest/dirtyist in the world.

he's a big dirty aul wan and ye know it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Archimedes wrote:
    The Chelsea fans today were an absolute disgrace booing him on his birthday.
    Hahaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Alltime top scorer in CL

I thought Raul was, with Ruud second.

Indeed
    Rank 	Name 			Goals 	Games 	Clubs
    1 	Raúl 			57 	111 	Real Madrid
    2 	Ruud van Nistelrooy 	50 	58 	PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United, Real Madrid
    3 	Andriy Shevchenko 	48 	89 	Dynamo Kyiv, A.C. Milan, Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Ruud's record in the champs leag is simply unreal!

Archimedes wrote:
    They still sing his name.

Shevas head has been gone, he came to London for lifestyle reasons not football reasons and Id question his motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Father Time has caught up with Shevchenko.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I disagree his last seaosn at Milan he was Top Scorer in the CL and scored 20 in 25(I think) in the league thats not that long ago.
    Lots of great players have had bad moves
    If he moves somewhere else he will score goals there

growler wrote:
    usually i'd agree, but on his present form, particularly yesterday, he was bloody awful in every dept.: crosses, positioning (often) shots, frees, just awful.

When he started he ran all over but was never in the right place, then he stayed lurking for a while but didn't do enought legwork. It must be killing someone like him to see how far their form has dropped, hopefully he'll find the "zone" again.
    My point exactly.

It's not even about confidence now, it looks like he's just counting time until the January transfer window opens.

Advertisement