Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie Domain vs .com Domain

Options
  • 29-09-2007 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

If it was as easy, quick and cheap to register a .ie domain as a .com domain, in what circumstances would you guys register a .ie?

I'm setting up an new company and would be able to get a nice .ie domain, but I don't think it has the same value from a marketing perspective as a .com. Even if I plan to target the Irish market, I may wish to present an international outlook. Do you think the top-level domain matters in this respect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Ideally you want to have the .com and .ie ... any reason not to register both ?

The irish like the .ie everyone else likes the .com and a lot of the time looking for a domain you assume it'll be .com

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

I .ie will do better in google.ie searches if you plan on getting vistors from search engines. All depends really on what the site is for and who you plan to target with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Get both, only around 30 quid these days to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

i thought you had to prove certain things like that you are living in ireland and have a vat number or something - is this not the case ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You need to prove your entitlment to the domain. Most typically, this is a vat number, company number, trading name (RBN) or similar.

Contact a provider for more details if you're not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

forbairt wrote:
    Ideally you want to have the .com and .ie ... any reason not to register both ?

The whole point here is that I'm weighing up an obscure .com domain verses a nice .ie domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If your business is going to be Ireland only, get a .ie domain. If it's international, get a .com.

Personally I would not use a .ie domain for an international website.

Also, if you've read the book "sex.com" you'd be terrified to know it's fairly easy to steal .com domains, and Network Solutions don't really give a ****. I'm aware the IEDR are kind of in a legal limbo, but at least they're down the road and somewhat easier/cheaper to take legal action against.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Domain theft is still a serious problem, though Netsol aren't the only registrar these days!

Advertisement