Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship wages???

• 29-09-2007 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

Me and my mate just having a chat and arent sure wat sort of wages the Championship players get . . . obviously the like of WBA would have players on large wages, but lesser clubs....Sheffield Wednesday for example (the club my mate supports), wat sort of money would these kinda players be on, anyone any ideas or links etc???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

barrister money for the most AFAIK.

edit: now that i think of it i don't really know either. i do ponder about it a fair bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wouldn't call Sheffield Wednesday a lesser club, they're one of the biggest club around. Not on the financial side though at the moment.

If you use the Football Manager game as a guide (not sure of accuracy :confused: )I'd say the top wage for a club you mention would be 8k-10k per week. Average for a first team squad player is likely to be around 3k-4k per week.

Having said that, it may be drastically higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

micmclo wrote:
    Wouldn't call Sheffield Wednesday a lesser club, they're one of the biggest club around. Not on the financial side though at the moment.

If you use the Football Manager game as a guide (not sure of accuracy :confused: )I'd say the top wage for a club you mention would be 8k-10k per week. Average for a first team squad player is likely to be around 3k-4k per week.

Having said that, it may be drastically higher.

I wouldn't use Football Manager as any kind of guide. It shows some of the full time players at Drogheda United as earning less than they would flipping burgers at MacDonalds. Now, there have been a few times at United Park that I've felt that's all they're worth - but I'm sure that's not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

jason Byrne is on 5 grand a week but Ridsdale is there so not sure if thats the going rate for a 5th choice striker.

Pats offered him 3k and a game and he said no.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Up to around 15,000 a week id say for the top earners..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd imagine the players who played in the premiership with the relegated clubs are still on quite good money, although I would imagine there was a wage drop clause in most contracts. Apparently "the average basic annual Championship salary is now £195,750, up from £128,000 six years ago, or an increase of 53 per cent."

But the same report claims the highest paid Premiership player is only £22,500 a week, that can't be right at all. It does say the wages can rise by 60 to 100 percent with bonuses, and the survey was conducted between 2000 and 2006. Make of it what you will.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article357006.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Me and my mate just having a chat and arent sure wat sort of wages the Championship players get . . . obviously the like of WBA would have players on large wages, but lesser clubs....Sheffield Wednesday for example (the club my mate supports), wat sort of money would these kinda players be on, anyone any ideas or links etc???

it is true that sheffield wednesday are in dire financial trouble. so much so that they have lost numerous players to opposition clubs, not in terms of transfer fees (which is another problem), but in terms of wages.
    when franny jeffers signed in august there were rumours they had broken dave allens wage structure to accomodate him. this figure was in the region of 10,000 i think.

i have heard rumours that Hartson at WBA was on about 20,000, which i think would have been one of the highest earners in the division, but then of course they were in the premiership the season before.

one of sheffield wednesdays other highest paid players at the time was Steve maclean, who is now gone to cardiff. i think he was on 7,000 a week.

if clubs dont re structure wages when they get relegated they run the risk of doing a sheffield wednesday and Leeds. it is not the easiest division to get out of on first attempt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Alan Sheehan was offered 8k a week by Leichester last week and turned it down as he wanted a longer deal.

And he is a youth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It would probably vary alot in that division, depending on the club. The likes of West Brom, Wolves and Sheffield United could have some players earning 12-15K or so, which would be above average for the division. Beattie was on 40K per week at Everton and wouldn't have been prepared to drop his wages too much, so he's sure to still be on 20K+.

While a club like Blackpool or Scunthorpe probably wouldn't be paying much more than 4-5 grand a week you'd imagine.

Whatever report said that the top premiership wage was 22K per week was way off the mark as we know there's prem players earning alot more than that. So it's possible that their average salary of 195K per year for the championship is also wide of the mark. It's probably a little higher, even the smaller clubs would be paying that much.

Though I think alot of those clubs are being a bit more sensible about wage levels now, the Leeds fiasco being a lesson to all. Ridsdale was doling out massive contracts without even asking players what money they wanted (as in the case of Viduka being handed a 40K per week contract when he was only expecting 10-12K!!! Madness).

• Advertisement
Advertisement