Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Tap Water at Restaurant

Options
  • 29-09-2007 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Just want to seek clarification of my rights here, apologies if this has been posted before, but I could not find it under a search.
    Lastnight, while eating at an eat in/take out place in Ranelagh (exact eatery will rename nameless, for now), I was denied by staff a glass of tap water to have with my meal, which was already paid for.
    The first reason given, was that there was no cups to hold the water in. After stating that I thought it disgraceful, I asked for the manager, who was also working on the food counter. The reason she gave, was that the cold water tap was not working, but I could have some warm water, said smartly of course, and I assumed that it would indeed come in a cup. After pushing a little more to see why this was so, I was told that if I didn't like "the place" I could go elsewhere.
    Needless to say I was shocked and embarrassed at my treatment infront of other customers.
    A mate of mine who works for another restaurant says they were breaching two laws. The first, you need cold water on hand incase a staff members suffers a burn. Secondly, the customer has a right to tap water as opposed to mineral water (1.75Euro in this case)
    I am in the process of writing a letter to the management, but want to be exactly certain of where I stand on this issue. Is there any Act of sorts that I can quote to show that I know what I'm talking about that can help me prove that I was right? Am I indeed right at all?

Appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

AFAIK it is a legal requirement in this country for restaurants to provide tap water if requested. A google search should help you out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

They obviously did have cold water. They are perfectly within their rights not to serve free tap water, but it isn't very clever from a customer relations viewpoint. What made you think that you were entitled to free tap water? If it were the law, I could walk in off the street to any restaurant in Dublin, ie Shanahan's, Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud, etc,etc and demand some water.

As an aside to this, as a condition of liquor licensing laws, pubs are obliged to have tap water available to customers. If the restaurant in question is licensed, it may also apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

wyndham wrote:
    What made you think that you were entitled to free tap water?

As an aside to this, as a condition of liquor licensing laws, pubs are obliged to have tap water available to customers. If the restaurant in question is licensed, it may also apply to them.

I figured, as I was a paying customer, and had already handed over cash for my meal, a glass of tap water would of been graciously provided, but if I'm wrong on that, fair enough.

Also, it is an alcohol serving eatary, the liqour licensing laws would apply, therfore, as you say, there should be an obligatory glass of water.

Again, for the sake of this letter I hope to write, I'm trying to find some Acts or some such that I can quote from. The best I've come up with is people on message boards reffering to this that and the other, but nothing substantial.
    And if I learn that I don't have a leg to stand on, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Would this place be called 'B.&B.' by any chance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Make a note that you will be objecting to their liquor licence when it comes up for renewal, and they'll change their tune. They would'nt want the local media to know that they refused a customer tap water and I'd say the judge would take a view on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Whatever about refusing you the water, which I thnk they are entitled to do, a restaurant must by law have a potable cold water supply, for washing vegetables, adding to foods etc. It must come direct from the main, like your kitchen at home, and not have been through a tank, like your bathroom water at home.

Pythia wrote:

Not just any chance, but a strong one.

Right, I'll fire the letter off by the end of the week and let ye know how I got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/act/pub/0016/sec0007.html#zza16y1988s7

states that drinking water must be provided in restaurants where alcohol is served. However, it does not explicitly state that it should be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Len_007 wrote:

Right, I'll fire the letter off by the end of the week and let ye know how I got on.

Well they refused me water back in February so it's obviously practice for them to do so, not just a once off.

Do report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Len_007 wrote:

This doesn't surprise me, i've found the staff in B&B very rude on the occasions i've been there. Let us know how you get on with your complaint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Hate to be rude and gatecrash ur thread but this is a typical irish spineless attitude,,,,,, I work damn hard for my wages just like everyone else and a waiter workin in a service industry shouldnt have to be nudged towards good service (they do rely on tips as every1 knows), however on the off chance that i come upon prats I just treat them like prats, vote with your feet and spend your cash elsewhere, I wouldnt give a toss about causing a scene and would have told him to shuv his meal as it would be much more embarrasing for the said manager! and your euro carries much more power by bringin it elsewhere..... I have little time for people who complain after the event rather than address the issue head on because if they have been rude in the first instance any letter u send is goint to line the inside of a bin...RANT OVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

MOD Edit: Surely a PM would be more appropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

As has been said, if they serve alcohol they have to give you a glass of water.

alanceltic wrote:
    Hate to be rude and gatecrash ur thread but this is a typical irish spineless attitude,,,,,, I work damn hard for my wages just like everyone else and a waiter workin in a service industry shouldnt have to be nudged towards good service (they do rely on tips as every1 knows), however on the off chance that i come upon prats I just treat them like prats, vote with your feet and spend your cash elsewhere, I wouldnt give a toss about causing a scene and would have told him to shuv his meal as it would be much more embarrasing for the said manager! and your euro carries much more power by bringin it elsewhere..... I have little time for people who complain after the event rather than address the issue head on because if they have been rude in the first instance any letter u send is goint to line the inside of a bin...RANT OVER

First, I don't think you do "hate to be rude", judging by your comments.
    Second, I don't think my immediate reactions were spineless. I addressed the issue straight away with two members of their staff, and was told to "go else where". my subsequent actions are to communicate the event to the owner, who was not present, to show that (what is becoming apparant) my rights as a customer were being denied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Pythia wrote:

Ha, first place that popped into my mind.

OP, I reckon you should not only vote with your feet, but if you come across this kind of thing again somewhere else, let the manager know that their scabbiness has cost them any future business that you might have brought.

It's bloody silly that there are managers who will risk losing a customer entirely over a couple of euros for a bottle of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Okay what is the actual name? Is it a pub? I often eat in ranelagh and would be happy to test this out. I also have a very loud sister who works around there and she'd be happy to order a pint of water or 10 for her and her work colleagues.

The only time I've ever paid for water is abroad where the water may be dodgy

Ps. I asked for water at Gary Rhodes D7 and the waiter was over pouring from a large blue bottle before we could protest ( sneaky management policy?). Protest we did!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

Write a nice review on menupages.ie too. I use it often and if I see something like this I wouldn't go there out of disgust for their pure greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Grawns wrote:
    Okay what is the actual name? Is it a pub? I often eat in ranelagh and would be happy to test this out. I also have a very loud sister who works around there and she'd be happy to order a pint of water or 10 for her and her work colleagues.

It's more of a fast food joint than a restaurant. Visit menupages.ie and look for restaurants in Ranelagh. You'll figure it out from there
    Ps. I asked for water at Gary Rhodes D7 and the waiter was over pouring from a large blue bottle before we could protest ( sneaky management policy?). Protest we did!
    I have sent back bottled water in the past when I didn't ask specifically for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

I frequently check the reviews on www.menupages.ie as a means of guaging whether I would go there. Your review should be valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

dubscribe wrote: »
    I frequently check the reviews on www.menupages.ie as a means of guaging whether I would go there. Your review should be valued.
    11 years later??!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Well, it's been ten years now, so I'm sure they'll be right on to it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'd love to know what people are searching for to dig up 11 year old threads?

dubscribe wrote: »

Menu pages is the last place I’d look if I wanted a true account of a restaurant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

I wonder if anything ever came of the letter....

Like a voucher for a free bottle of river rock with their next purchase...

Is the place still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

limnam wrote: »
    I wonder if anything ever came of the letter....

Like a voucher for a free bottle of river rock with their next purchase...

Is the place still open?

:D If it is and they've gotten away with it that long they're probably trying to charge for the water you use flushing the loo now as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

iPhone. wrote: »
    :D If it is and they've gotten away with it that long they're probably trying to charge for the water you use flushing the loo now as well :D

I can't think of anywhere in Ranelagh that would be fast food and B. & B.

It would be nice to think they went out of business....

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Menu pages is the last place I’d look if I wanted a true account of a restaurant experience.

It used to be a solid source, especially back in those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Doesn't seem to be any place called B&B in ranelagh now.

Yay the OPs letter worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I'm wracking my brains for somewhere that this could be in Ranelagh. Anyone know?

And I'm also getting a giggle from the mention of menupages.....so 2007!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

padser wrote: »
    I can't think of anywhere in Ranelagh that would be fast food and B. & B.

It would be nice to think they went out of business....
    It think the initials of its name were B&B, not that it was a B&B!

And I too am dying know which place it was - surely it can be named seeing as it no longer exists?!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement