Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Ireland next week...

• 29-09-2007 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

So, I'm leaving Ireland next week to go to Australia. I've got a job and accommodation and many contacts waiting for me there, I've never been so happy in my life! I shall hopefully be pursuing my music career there in between working on farms! :rolleyes:

So anyways, anyone else utterly sick of the country? Obviously, if you knew me from posting here, I'm quite a "hardliner" on delicate topics, but this one's a no-brainer. Anyone have any plans on leaving this place?

Most of my friends are planning on leaving somehow or another. Seems a popular thing among Irish people (still hehe)...

Dav.

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nice to hear, but Australia isn't that much better to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Mayhap, but I can't stay here much longer, it's slowly killing me.

As they say, a rolling stone gathers no moss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah another rat leaving the ship seeks approval as he waves goodbye ;)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Ah another rat leaving the ship seeks approval as he waves goodbye ;)

Mike.

I seek no approval. I seek advise, or shared experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watch out for the dunny spider is proberly the best piece of advice I can give you.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So Glad wrote:
    I seek no approval. I seek advise, or shared experiences.

In after hours? Good luck :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Leaving Ireland is soooooo 1980s.

SDooM wrote:
    In after hours? Good luck :D

Yeah! Hehehe

What am I thinkin'!?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

So Glad wrote:
    So, I'm leaving Ireland next week to go to Australia. I've got a job and accommodation and many contacts waiting for me there, I've never been so happy in my life! I shall hopefully be pursuing my music career there in between working on farms! :rolleyes:

So anyways, anyone else utterly sick of the country? Obviously, if you knew me from posting here, I'm quite a "hardliner" on delicate topics, but this one's a no-brainer. Anyone have any plans on leaving this place?

Most of my friends are planning on leaving somehow or another. Seems a popular thing among Irish people (still hehe)...

Dav.

You're so right to do it. I desperately wanted to in my 20s, but didn't have the courage. In the end, we bought a house with the money I saved instead (plus a mortgage). I was so disappointed at the time as I really wanted to be in Australia, but looking back I'm glad I did because of the way house prices went.
    Can't do it now as I have 3 small kids. I wish you all the best! You won't regret it, I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

smashey wrote:
    you mean 1840s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

So Glad wrote:

Dav.

Why exactly are you utterly sick of this place?

if you don't mind me asking what age are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

why Australia, don't they have lizard people there too? Or does the New World Order not have any interest in Australia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm planning on being gone by next summer. I'm not going to say it's because I hate Ireland, I believe you have to change your environment from time to time to grow up. That said, there is plenty about this country that drives me up the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Sure if you get lonely you can always check back in here and read all about taxis & scumbags.....it'll be nearly like you're at home! ;)
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Advice?

Get a blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

So Glad wrote:
    So, I'm leaving Ireland next week to go to Australia.

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.
    So anyways, anyone else utterly sick of the country?

No, I love this country and just when i thought it couldn't get any better i find out you're leaving. It's going to be a better place without you.

Will we still have the displeasure of your broken record, "I'm sick of this Country blah blah blah" type posts on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Are Australia more understanding of your lifestyle choices ? ;)

I'd have to agree with Anto here.

We are certainly not without our problems here but the trend of Ireland bashing really gets my back up and pisses me off.

I did the live abroad thing when I was in college, lived in America for five months then I lived in Sweden for three.

Although I loved America when I was there, its not somewhere I would want to live full time. The people are paranoid!

We have our problems yes, but so have america, australia etc. Unless your going to some Australian Nirvana I'm not aware of?

What are your reasons for hating Ireland OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

smashey wrote:

was there a famine then Too? Janey Mack.......

Im just visiting anyway - I expect in a few years if nothing dramatic happens, as much as I am fond of the place I may travel elsewhere again - but like hell am I going back to the states.. I think I'll give them the middle finger and move to Canada instead :rolleyes:

Its not that Im not enjoying myself here - I've lived here in ireland longer than any one place in my life and its home now, but I'd be the rolling rock type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Overheal wrote:
    was there a famine then Too?

Garlic Cheese and Chips famine. Those were dark days indeed :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Been living in the US for two years and am happy enough. There are going to be problems wherever you go OP, there is no escaping that as mentioned. I think you just have to find somewhere that you think you belong or fit in. I love Ireland, get back as often as I can and who knows might be back to live there in the future but right now I am happy here. Good luck anyway.
    I have to go pratice eating some flies now. /me sticks on tongue *snap*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Oman wrote:
    you mean 1840s

I think you forgot the rest:
    1850s
    1860s
    1870s
    1880s
    1890s
    1900s
    1910s
    1920s
    1930s
    1940s (my parents' slot)
    1950s
    1960s
    1970s
    1990s
    2000s

To the OP, good luck and give my regards to the Abos, not to mention one of my daughters, who was also daft enough to get as far away from the bosom of her loving family as she possibly could. No vacancies on the International Space Station, not yet anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

I wanna leave Ireland and live in a hole somewhere or failing that live in Tokyo so I can be all lost in translation or w/e or i dunno stay here who cares tbh wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

you earn your money on those aussie farms. i mean *really* bloody earn it. and it aint that much money either!! still, you'll have good craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

TheGooner wrote:
    I'd have to agree with Anto here.

We are certainly not without our problems here but the trend of Ireland bashing really gets my back up and pisses me off.

I did the live abroad thing when I was in college, lived in America for five months then I lived in Sweden for three.

Although I loved America when I was there, its not somewhere I would want to live full time. The people are paranoid!

We have our problems yes, but so have america, australia etc. Unless your going to some Australian Nirvana I'm not aware of?

What are your reasons for hating Ireland OP?

No offence but eight months and three months are holidays and you cannot judge a country ,its people or culture on a holiday. Ok it will give you a idea of the countries but not a hell of alot more.
    After nearly fifteen years and eight countries I returned home AND maybe I'm getting old but for me this is a great place to live and raise my kids. Yes we have problems but who doesn't? After saying that I would not swamp my time and memories of living aboard for anything.
    My advice too the OP is get out there and make your own memories . Enjoy your time , we only get one shot..

ROCKMAN wrote:
    No offence but eight months and three months are holidays and you cannot judge a country ,its people or culture on a holiday. Ok it will give you a idea of the countries but not a hell of alot more.
    After nearly fifteen years and eight countries I returned home AND maybe I'm getting old but for me this is a great place to live and raise my kids. Yes we have problems but who doesn't? After saying that I would not swamp my time and memories of living aboard for anything.
    My advice too the OP is get out there and make your own memories . Enjoy your time , we only get one shot..

Yes I know that.

My point is yes by all means travel the world and have a ball but don't come on a public board and slate your home town with a real '**** yis, im off' attitude. Maybe I am picking him up wrong. Other countries have their issues, but because the OP won't tell us his issues with Ireland we cant really argue atm....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Best of luck with the move, but remember the grass always looks greener on the other side.
    I've lots of family in australia, and while they have soem things better than us they also have soem things worse.
    Working day in day out sucks no matter where you live, there are skangers/scumbags all over this planet, and being hit by a car will kill you no matter which hemisphere you're in.
    My best advice to you - dont go over with rose-tinted glasses, but enjoy what comes your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

TheGooner wrote:
    Yes I know that.

My point is yes by all means travel the world and have a ball but don't come on a public board and slate your home town with a real '**** yis, im off' attitude. Maybe I am picking him up wrong. Other countries have their issues, but because the OP won't tell us his issues with Ireland we cant really argue atm....

Ok totally agree with you here

I'm really looking forward to it and embracing it. Rather that expecting bad things to happen, because thoughts become things in reality. I'm not expecting the grass to be greener, but at least a little more interesting! Dublin seriously just bores the **** out of me.

I'm not worried about earning **** all on a farm, as money is not my main concern in life. I'm trying to use this oppertunity to be more self-sufficient and do PROPER jobs. Like like, paperwork and call-centers, they're ****ing irrelavent. I long to be around nature for a while. I haven't seen the Sun in Dublin for months, and everything's grey.

So, I've also the Irish winter that I'll be missing and going straight into the Aussie summer, that'll be a shocker!

I've got many musical contacts there already, so hopefully I can get my music up and running when I'm there.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

BuffyBot wrote:
    Advice?

Get a blog.
    zing!
    So Glad wrote:
    Left Ireland in 2004, came back in January.

Ireland has its faults, but I'm loving it at the moment.

Going abroad for a few years again in 2010 or 2011 though, life is too short to spend it all in one place!

haha!! sloggin yer guts out for tinned feckin pears isn't all that meaningful either! None of us want any of that "material" shyte like money but you might want a bit more when you're on your 4 millionth pack of noodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So Glad wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to it and embracing it. Rather that expecting bad things to happen, because thoughts become things in reality. I'm not expecting the grass to be greener, but at least a little more interesting! Dublin seriously just bores the **** out of me.

I'm not worried about earning **** all on a farm, as money is not my main concern in life. I'm trying to use this oppertunity to be more self-sufficient and do PROPER jobs. Like like, paperwork and call-centers, they're ****ing irrelavent. I long to be around nature for a while. I haven't seen the Sun in Dublin for months, and everything's grey.

So, I've also the Irish winter that I'll be missing and going straight into the Aussie summer, that'll be a shocker!

I've got many musical contacts there already, so hopefully I can get my music up and running when I'm there.

I undertsand the sentiment: imagine how Luke Skywalker felt trapped on Tatooine :rolleyes:

the point is you need a little adventure. Everyone does: I'm shocked when I hear about people who have never even been to the other side of the Island, let alone a holiday - you need to break out of the norm sometimes. Its not that theres anything wrong with the place (there may be but its not entirely the issue) but dont you ever just feel everything gets stale, people?

And about the OP trying to run away from Ireland and Irelands problems: thats rubbish - everywhere theres problems. and theres way worse places to be than Ireland - but if you havent been out of the country in a while you might get caught up in really trivial things like... Irish Politics. I just dont bother to be honest, and im happier here for it :p

So Glad wrote:
    I haven't seen the Sun in Dublin for months, and everything's grey.

Thats nonsense! I've only been back from Australia a month and I've seen tonnes of sun, more than I did in the last two months in Perth.

Maybe I should get out more often! hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Overheal wrote:
    was there a famine then Too? Janey Mack.......
    That's when I left. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

It's good to get out of Ireland and broaden your horizons. I'm earning less money than I would be at home, but hey, at least I don't spend about 4 hours in traffic going to/coming home from work everyday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm moving to Canada for a year in December sometime.. Twill be interesting indeed. I'm going because of a woman!!!! Grrr those pesky love demons

mental07 wrote:
    It's good to get out of Ireland and broaden your horizons. I'm earning less money than I would be at home, but hey, at least I don't spend about 4 hours in traffic going to/coming home from work everyday.

Exactly my friend! Lord know I just need change more than anything!

mental07 wrote:
    lord above...... you can move within ireland so you dont have to do that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

Awww, OP - just as I was about to ask if there was room for 3 more 'little' ones in Ireland, you bugger off & make room for us anyway!

Seriously though, go have an adventure - as other folks have said already, you only get one shot, so make the most of it. Just make sure that as you travel through life, you don't burn too many bridges - you never know if you may have to make your way back.

People keep asking us 'Why Ireland?'.... and we keep asking them 'Well, why not?'.

For us, it's a way of having our mid-life adventure together without being too far from certain family members who may still need us (think 87yr old mum-in-law & 17yr old daughter) but far away enough for us to feel like we've really made a change - who knows where we may decide to move to when we retire....

I have visions of a cute little grass hut on a barbados beach swamped with hunky rastas, & drinking rum outta coconuts on a daily basis..... All I havta do now is persuade hubby it's a good idea! ;)

• Advertisement

Well, I'm too young to get into the 9/5 office job crap of Dublin! There's a whole world out there! Lots of talented musicians in Aussie too, so I'll be sure to set up some form of band! Although, knowing me, I'll start writing lots of nostalgic songs about Ireland!! Then wish to go back, get back, then want to get da funk back out again!!

Such is life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

lord above...... you can move within ireland so you dont have to do that!!
    True. But there are other things I prefer about here than home. The ease of travelling to work was just one example.

So Glad wrote:
    Well, I'm too young to get into the 9/5 office job crap of Dublin! There's a whole world out there! Lots of talented musicians in Aussie too, so I'll be sure to set up some form of band! Although, knowing me, I'll start writing lots of nostalgic songs about Ireland!! Then wish to go back, get back, then want to get da funk back out again!!

Such is life!!

If you are in the Perth/Freo area make sure you check out Matty Gresham in the Orient on a Tuesday night. No matter what kind of music you like, if you don't leave there with a smile on your face there's no hope for ya! His cover of Paul Simon's Graceland is just magic. Plus, he's only 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ive lived in London for the last 8 months and my God I miss Dublin, the grass isnt always greener. Dublin is a fantastic place to live, in most places around here you wouldnt speak to people you dont know on a night out as it will end in a fight even if your being realy nice, people over here just love to fight! U dont really get that in Dublin.
    Traffic in Dublin is nothing to London. Price of regular stuff is more expensive here. Theres tonnes more craic in Dublin. For the most part you'll feel safe walking down a street in Dublin at night. Irish people have a nice accent (the english one is horrible) etc etc

So go enjoy your adventure, but your opinion of Ireland will change when your away from it it for a while, you'll start to relaise what a great place it really is and why the Irish people have a great reputation.

London, though. OF COURSE YOU'D MISS DUBLIN!!!

London's a hell hole!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah, London does indeed suck... Was in Manchester earlier in the year too, my god what a shít hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

So Glad wrote:
    London, though. OF COURSE YOU'D MISS DUBLIN!!!

London's a hell hole!

Your right, but have also spent 3months in both Toronto and New York and have felt the same, the only place i actually havent missed Ireland was when I was spending a few months in Thailand, now thats a place to emigrate to!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

Ive lived in London for the last 8 months and my God I miss Dublin, the grass isnt always greener. Dublin is a fantastic place to live, in most places around here you wouldnt speak to people you dont know on a night out as it will end in a fight even if your being realy nice, people over here just love to fight! U dont really get that in Dublin.
    Traffic in Dublin is nothing to London. Price of regular stuff is more expensive here. Theres tonnes more craic in Dublin. For the most part you'll feel safe walking down a street in Dublin at night. Irish people have a nice accent (the english one is horrible) etc etc

So go enjoy your adventure, but your opinion of Ireland will change when your away from it it for a while, you'll start to relaise what a great place it really is and why the Irish people have a great reputation.
    Oh my! Whereabouts in London are you based?
    I was dragged up in London & have you not realised yet that most Londoners don't actually live in London anymore? We leave that for the foreigners!
    Why don't you try somewhere like Canterbury/Dartford/Ashford....still busy large towns but without the expense.
    Even the Brits don't like the London prices! When hubby & I bought our house in Blackpool (ex guest house, 4 floors, 5beds 2 baths) 6 yrs ago, it was 50K sterling - a friend of mine was buying her 1 bed basement flat in Brixton - 282K Sterling - ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I haven't lived in Ireland since July 2002.

I spent July 2002 to April 2007 living in various places in the South East of England around Surrey. I also spent a lot of time commuting to London.

I love London. It's a vibrant, interesting, historical city and if you know your way around you can have a blast. As with most cities, the best pubs and restaurants are the ones off the beaten track.

There is a bit of a rough, binge-drinking 'yoof' culture in the UK, but it's the same everywhere IMHO and you can avoid it if you try.

Since April 2007 I've been living in Australia. I like it here. The weather is certainly cheerier, and there's more space. The cities are surprisingly "young", but it's nice to deal with a bureaucratic system that appears to be better organised than those in either the UK or Ireland. I've been based in one place so far, in Victoria, and haven't managed to travel much yet but I will.

I'm very lucky in that I spent a long time in the UK working to get myself into a position where I am self employed and can telecommute - so wherever I am in the world, as long as I have internet access I can work, and I invoice in sterling - which is pretty damn strong against the pacific peso that is the Aussie dollar.

It means essentially that the world is my oyster - travelling, working, no debt, no commitments. Perhaps that's why I'm feeling less claustraphobic about Dublin - the last time I was there I found it a more cosmopolitan place, felt it benefitted from the influx of different races (the restaurants are better) and recognised the on-street friendliness as being more attractive, where previously I would have considered it dull and nosey.

At the moment, I have no desire to return and settle in Dublin for good. (Or anywhere else in Ireland - my home town is in Wicklow, and I don't want to go back there either). There's too many other interesting things to see everywhere else in the world.

It means essentially that the world is my oyster - travelling, working, no debt, no commitments. Perhaps that's why I'm feeling less claustraphobic about Dublin - the last time I was there I found it a more cosmopolitan place, felt it benefitted from the influx of different races (the restaurants are better) and recognised the on-street friendliness as being more attractive, where previously I would have considered it dull and nosey.

You feel that too??

I feel Dublin is way too...........hmmm.........choose my words carefully............."shackled" if you get my drift.......most people are servants to work, debt, tele then pub on weekends, get drunk and everything's fine...

I know this is universal, but hey....

• Advertisement
Advertisement