Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Ireland next week...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Play "Johnny Apple Seed" while in Oz.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

So Glad wrote:
    So, I'm leaving Ireland next week to go to Australia. I've got a job and accommodation and many contacts waiting for me there, I've never been so happy in my life! I shall hopefully be pursuing my music career there in between working on farms! :rolleyes:

OP.. I see where u come from. IMOH theres nothin amazin about OZ farming this time of year, typically with farm work u will live miles away from the city and more important far away from available totty.
    So Glad wrote:
    So anyways, anyone else utterly sick of the country? Obviously, if you knew me from posting here, I'm quite a "hardliner" on delicate topics, but this one's a no-brainer. Anyone have any plans on leaving this place?

I c ur point, but lets see how much u think about home once you up and leave, really annoys me to see affluent young people slag off home. Oz is so Ireland it will make u feel at home if thats why u are travelling to the other end of th world. 5 yrs on the road tells me that if u want a real different experience stop off in Seoul, or Tokyo and teach English. I have lived there for 5 yrs (currently at home for fam reasons) but what a mindblowing experience. Seoul is an easy and rewarding life, Tokyo is for the brave but the rewards are greater. All u need is a pair of b5lls.

PM me if u want some advice / contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I thought I was completely sick of Ireland.

Now that I have lived here, I realise how much I miss it there. When I move back I'll be glad to be around people that generally have a little more sanity and humour to them...and get away from the radical christians n rednecks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Good luck in Oz OP !

And don't forget to check out the Abroad forum once you've joined us expats :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The grass is always greener and all that. I've spent the last 5 years in Oz. When you're in holiday mode it's great. When you're in work mode the only thing different about it is the weather. We used to talk about the same things that we talk about here.
    Some topics for ya.
    1: The politicians are idiots. I don't think they're corrupt but they seem to be more idiotic than here.
    2: Traffic in the cities is terrible.
    3: The price of houses. If you want to buy you have to live a long way away. Most other guys in my team had commutes of > hour.
    4: Foreigners coming in and takin ur jobs.
    5: Disasterous city planning. A while before I left Sydney they opened a new tunnel under the city. Great you say. Except as the tunnel was half private they agreed to shut down lots of roads in the city to filter people into the tunnel (the toll was a fortune).
    6: Mortgage rates are high, much higher than here. I think 8% is average. However, eveybody I spoke to remembered the old rates of 18% so 8% is brilliant to them.
    7: Lots and lots of outsourcing to India. I'm in IT, lots of college courses closing down (while I was there) because people just weren't going into them because the jobs weren't there.

However the main positives
    1: The weather. It's a million times better than here.
    2: Public transport is brilliant even though it's overloaded (trains & ferries, the buses weren't so great). Until they go on strike then you're totally stuck.
    3: People are more positive than here. When I was in Sydney I couldn't believe it when I met Irish people constantly complaining about Ireland. When I came back here I got it X 100. And it's not that bad. There's plenty thats crap but there's plenty more thats good.
    4: The weather.
    5: The weather.
    6: The weather.

So what's my point. Every city country seems great when you see it on the TV or go there for a holiday (when you saw Ireland on the TV down there it always looked glamerous and a lot of my workmates had come to Ireland for holidays and loved it). When you live somewhere else for a while you figure out that everywhere has problems. I think we just talk about ours more (not in a positive way) so they seem magnified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

So Glad wrote:
    So, I'm leaving Ireland next week to go to Australia. I've got a job and accommodation and many contacts waiting for me there, I've never been so happy in my life! I shall hopefully be pursuing my music career there in between working on farms! :rolleyes:

So anyways, anyone else utterly sick of the country? Obviously, if you knew me from posting here, I'm quite a "hardliner" on delicate topics, but this one's a no-brainer. Anyone have any plans on leaving this place?

Most of my friends are planning on leaving somehow or another. Seems a popular thing among Irish people (still hehe)...

Dav.

:cool:

Best of luck dude, hope you have the time of your life, and dont forget there is more to Australia than Sydney, make it your business to see WA, spend some time in Perth.

You will miss your family, but with email and mobiles its a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Muggy Dev

Best of luck OP.

Moved to Spain myself 6 months ago.Was tough going initially but getting nicely into the groove now.If you´re clear in your mind about the reasons for leaving and you have researched you´re new home country well, then you have a good chance of success.

Money and employment are big issues wherever you go.Without a skill,profession or trade it´s difficult to avoid slipping into the poverty trap,especially in Oz.Climate and quality of life issues compensate to some extent but there´s no joy in working for peanuts (or peppers) in the longer term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Rabble rabble rabble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'm moving to canada as soon as they'll let me back in

• Advertisement

|Cookies wrote:
    You are the most annoying mod of all ****ing time.

that is all.
    I rest my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

|Cookies wrote:
    You are the most annoying mod of all ****ing time.

that is all.

DEFINITELY DON'T AGREE!!!

I love you too. :Kisses:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Will someone please think of the children?

ICookies your very aggressive for a Sunday :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭barclay2

You'll have a great time in Australia. One word of warning though - if you're looking to get away from all things Irish, it might be a little difficult in Australia, especially Sydney. Im thinking of goin out there for a year-ish in early 2008, but some of my friends are having second thoughts because of the idea of being surrounded by loads of other irish people all the time. We do tend to congregate in similar places, us Irish. Anyway I may end up going to Canada for a while instead.

Regarding Dublin, I just got back from living in Edinburgh for a year (and was travelling round the world for four months before that). Beautiful city and going there is one of the best choices i ever made, but by the end i was definitely looking forward to coming back to Dublin for a while. Dublin has so much that i dont like - ****e weather, ****e public transport, ****e food (compared to places on the continent, anyway) and expensive everything. And a lot of its true of Ireland in general. But it does have something fun about it that i havent yet found anyhwere else and that i missed in Edinburgh. Irish people really are good fun i think, especially now that ive got friends from other countries and have some comparison to go by. And anytime I ask a non-irish person what they liked about ireland/dublin, they nearly always say the people and the atmosphere.

I should also add that, in my opinion, Dublin's getting better every year (with the BIG exception of it getting more expensive). Having lived in Edinburgh, about half the size of Dublin and very uni-cultural, I actually have a new appreciation of Dublin as a reasonably big and diverse city with a buzz that only comes with big diverse places. And the transport is slowly getting better, food is getting better and while its really expensive, its a price im willing to pay to live in today's Dublin rather than Dublin 15 years ago when everyone was emigrating etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

All this "you might want to leave Ireland but things aren't so great elsewhere either" crap is just begrudgery. Reminds me of The Truman Show - the way every time Jim Carrey's character tries to leave, he's asked why the hell he'd want to do that. Even in the travel agent's there's a poster of a plane being struck by lightning with the message "It could happen to YOU..."

The OP wants to go travelling and is really excited by it. Stop pissing on her parade. She's fulfilling an ambition and fair play to her - best of luck OP. Don't mind the negative stories, plenty of people who go travelling have an amazing time - probably the majority.

As for having a rant at Ireland, sometimes people just can't help feeling that way (I know I'm feeling that way at the moment - at the end of the day I love the place, it's home, but I'm also sick of it). Most people don't expect other places to be amazing, they just want a change, that's all.
    And going abroad for a while tends to make people far more appreciative of home anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭barclay2

Dudess wrote:
    All this "you might want to leave Ireland but things aren't so great elsewhere either" crap is just begrudgery. Reminds me of The Truman Show - the way every time Jim Carrey's character tries to leave, he's asked why the hell he'd want to do that. Even in the travel agent's there's a poster of a plane being struck by lightning with the message "It could happen to YOU..."

The OP wants to go travelling and is really excited by it. Stop pissing on her parade. She's fulfilling an ambition and fair play to her - best of luck OP. Don't mind the negative stories, plenty of people who go travelling have an amazing time - probably the majority.

As for having a rant at Ireland, sometimes people just can't help feeling that way (I know I'm feeling that way at the moment - at the end of the day I love the place, it's home, but I'm also sick of it). Most people don't expect other places to be amazing, they just want a change, that's all.
    And going abroad for a while tends to make people far more appreciative of home anyway.

Definitely agree with that. A change of environment definitely does people some good i think - you have a great time and it definitely gives you a new sense of what you like and dislike about home. And you're left with some great memories. As much as I do really like certain things about Dublin, ive still got plenty of travelling i wanna get done before i settle down here for the long haul.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

So Glad wrote:
    Mayhap, but I can't stay here much longer, it's slowly killing me.

As they say, a rolling stone gathers no moss!

good, We dont want you here anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

What's with all the begrudgery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Refer to the lizard people thread from a few weeks ago :D

Exit wrote:
    What's with all the begrudgery?

It may well be an example of the coarseness the german ambassador was refering to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Thanks for the lovely posts! I'm still nearly about to cry from the happiness (oxymoronic or what?)......... I'm a guy by the way to whoever said I was a she........although........long hair and all hehe...

Anyways, a lot of hateful people here. Ah well, love you all and wish me well.

Thanks,

Dav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Dudess wrote:

:eek: :eek: :eek: Repressed mamories memories ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So Glad wrote:
    I'm not expecting the grass to be greener, but at least a little more interesting! Dublin seriously just bores the **** out of me.

You do realise there are other places in Ireland other than Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

You do realise there are other places in Ireland other than Dublin.

not on AH.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Overheal wrote:
    I'd be the rolling rock type.

More of a heineken man myself. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

LOL @ OP thinking they'll get their music career going in Oz.
    Get out and stay out.

rb_ie wrote:
    LOL @ OP thinking they'll get their music career going in Oz.
    Get out and stay out.

Love you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

yup yup Ireland is crapola central

thats why I travel all the time, and ALWAYS feel depressed when I get back, cant see my self livin here after college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Anto McC wrote:
    Don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.

No, I love this country and just when i thought it couldn't get any better i find out you're leaving. It's going to be a better place without you.

Will we still have the displeasure of your broken record, "I'm sick of this Country blah blah blah" type posts on here?

agreed,i can't stand all this ireland bashing,i love this country and i too am sick of listening to this same crap,boohoo i hate ireland..i plan on travelling myself but at the end of the day il always come back here and for all ireland haters il be glad to see the back of ya!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Dudess wrote:
    The OP wants to go travelling and is really excited by it. Stop pissing on her parade.

I love this Country and constantly want to look at it in a positive light so the OP is, essentially pissing on my parade.

The reason people decided to "piss on his parade" as you put it, is mainly down to the tone of his post. He also asked a question in the OP and a lot of people answered it honestly, which may not have been in agreement with his excessive views, this also may have been construed as people "pissing on his parade"

You all want to wish him good luck, thats your entitlement but i say goodbye and good riddance. The ironic thing, and what he doesn't realise is, it's people like him that are holding this Country back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I too will be jumping off this sinking ship as soon as i have finished university...

So long stinktown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

me and my friend are moving to amsterdam in mid november, getting out of this place asap. more cons than pros about the people and the country at the moment.

Anto McC wrote:
    The ironic thing, and what he doesn't realise is, it's people like him that are holding this Country back.
    How? I mean, I'm bored shítless of Ireland and may head off in the near future, but I still love this place.

With his small minded, small nation type attitude that he has. It's an attitude a lot of people in this Country have and one we can't seem to shake. Ireland, as a nation, is only small in stature and nothing else. To anyone living here, Ireland should be the centre of the known universe.

I don't really understand you Anto. And you're not one to post up stupid stuff so I've no doubt you're making a really good point. But isn't it surely a matter of opinion how you view Ireland as an Irish person? Yes, people who are really, really moany about this place should put a sock in it, but
    Anto wrote:
    To anyone living here, Ireland should be the centre of the known universe.
    I don't get that...

Dudess wrote:
    But isn't it surely a matter of opinion how you view Ireland as an Irish person?

Actually, you're right. In making my point i kinda got carried away and forgot that but the brash nature of the OP annoyed me, if you're gonna go, just f*cking go, don't come on here seeking some sort of approval or disapproval. Although that also kinda undermines the whole point of a public forum too.

I don't believe we are a small nation anymore, our economy alone dictates that, we are up with the big boys of the world now, we have a lot of clout politically but a lot of people in this country can't seem to fathom that and our small mindedness as a nation is holding us back.
    I don't get that...

It's hard to put into words exactly what i mean by that but i'll try. People living in Ireland, should be most concerned with Ireland and it's affairs, first and and foremost before anywhere else, to us it is the most important nation in the world.

Anto McC wrote:
    Actually, you're right. In making my point i kinda got carried away and forgot that but the brash nature of the OP annoyed me, if you're gonna go, just f*cking go, don't come on here seeking some sort of approval or disapproval. Although that also kinda undermines the whole point of a public forum too.

I don't believe we are a small nation anymore, our economy alone dictates that, we are up with the big boys of the world now, we have a lot of clout politically but a lot of people in this country can't seem to fathom that and our small mindedness as a nation is holding us back.

It's hard to put into words exactly what i mean by that but i'll try. People living in Ireland, should be most concerned with Ireland and it's affairs, first and and foremost before anywhere else, to us it is the most important nation in the world.

Why do people automatically think I'm seeking approval or disapproval? I'm just saying is all.

So Glad wrote:
    Why do people automatically think I'm seeking approval or disapproval? I'm just saying is all.

Don't say, just go! Everyother post from you is about how much you dislike Ireland, well now your chance to get out is here so just bleedin' go! Don't make such a big deal of it, you won't be missed that much.

Are you gone yet? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I moved to Norway 5 1/2 months ago, I love it here, but I still head to the Irish pub every so often, I watched all the Irish rugby games (even if we did play badly :( ) and I meet up with other Irish people here on quite a regular basis.

It's not that I'm not embracing the new country, learning the language is tough, but I'm doing it, but I do like to hang onto my 'roots'...

I didn't move away because I didn't like Ireland, I moved away because an opportunity arose and I took it. I do miss home, more for the price of alcohol than anything else!

Have a blast, but don't forget who you are, or where you're from. I don't think it's right to blame Ireland for your being sick of the place, if you live and work with the same attitude in Australia as you do here, I'll expect the same kind of post coming from you about Australia in a few months time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Anto McC wrote:

People living in Ireland, should be most concerned with Ireland and it's affairs, first and and foremost before anywhere else, to us it is the most important nation in the world.

What a load of utter drivel..

Ireland is a tiny nation, if the island was wiped from the face of the earth in the morning it would have almost zero impact on the global (even European) economy and political climate..

You need to get out more man, there is a whole world out there! If anyone is small minded its you!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

^^ +1

Ireland will never, ever be with the "big boys" though it's not from lack of trying unless the country is sitting on the worlds largets oil/gold/uranium deposit and I don't know about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The grass is always greener and all that. I've spent the last 5 years in Oz. When you're in holiday mode it's great. When you're in work mode the only thing different about it is the weather.
    That's a huge difference though. Dublin is a completely different city when the sun is out. Much better place.

It´s a funny thing OP,but about a month before I left I informed the staff of my local of 10 years of my plans to leave Ireland.Curiously,I found that from that moment onward I was treated as a stranger.Many of who I thought then,were my friends, show no inclination to stay in touch now.

This is particularly ironic since I came to this country 40 years ago born of Irish parents and then spent the next 20 being regarded as an outsider at best....and believe me,that´s an understatement.

It would seem that to be be true Irishman you have to be born here.....and die here.

People throwings stones at present should google their history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I moved to a new position in work last June, which now means that I do a good bit of traveling to the USA. I'm still based in Dublin, but over a 12 month period I could be 4 or 5 months in the states.

I think it has made me appreciate Dublin a bit more and I ALWAYS look forward to that plane trip home... Next Friday can't come quick enough for me :D

I thought before that I wouldn't mind working in the states for a couple of years perhaps, but I don't know if I could do it now....

Dublin and Ireland, may have it's problems, but it's home and it has everything that I need and want. I do love traveling and have seen many places all over the world and will continue to do so, but I don't think I could do the whole 'year in Australia thing'. I've been to Australia, but It didn't make me want to live there for some reason.. Different strokes I suppose.

Good luck anyway OP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Anto McC wrote:
    With his small minded, small nation type attitude that he has. It's an attitude a lot of people in this Country have and one we can't seem to shake. Ireland, as a nation, is only small in stature and nothing else. To anyone living here, Ireland should be the centre of the known universe.

Ok, now i'm never coming back if that kind of delusion is whats nessicary to live in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 chucks

Crap government, crap rugby team, crap football team, RTE is crap, etc etc etc

Ireland bashing is boring

Anyone who hates the place - go travel

Youll no doubt enjoy it but you'll also realise just how good we actually have it here

chucks wrote:
    Crap government, crap rugby team, crap football team, RTE is crap, etc etc etc

I fear it´s a little more serious than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I can see why people bash Ireland so much, particularly people who have travelled or lived abroad. I can off the top of my head list off so many things that are better here like public transport, health system, telecommunications, price of beer, price of accommodation, etc. but Ireland is still home for me. Although it would be tough to return, I do recall nearly every time I called home this Summer it was pissing rain whereas I would be on my balcony having a BBQ and a few cold ones! Hard to go back to that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Best of luck OP. Sorry your so down on Dublin. I didn't do too much travel when I was younger, school, brief college stint, work, no breaks,no J1 and all that.

I'm a firm believer in the life is short school of thought so I've upped the dog, kids and missus to the pacific northwest. Plenty of things I didn't like about home but familiarity does breed contempt. My main motivation was to just do something different in my short life. I'd hate to look back from a hospital bed in my 70's-80's (if I make it) and think I should have seen what life was like somewhere else. I know a move to the states is not a massive cultural shift but it's a start. We work hard all week but every weekdend is an adventure where we get to do lots of stuff that we can't do at home.

There's already stuff I don't like about here. Nowhere is perfect but everywhere should be different. I've no plans to go home just yet and I've no plans to stay too long - I'll just go with the flow.

Bottom line - it's not for everyone but I'm glad I got up off my arse, jacked in the job and got out of my comfort zone. Fair play to you for trying something new. Gather ye rosebuds and all that. You'll be a long time brownbread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I agree with the point that living abroad makes you appreciate home on some level.

I miss my family, love going home to see them, and get on great with them - but lord God, if I was to live with them all the time I'd go insane!!

I miss "the craic", but the whole drinking culture/going to work on a Monday morning and listening to stories about how many pints so-and-so downed on Saturday night can get a bit tiresome.

I miss my friends the most, but I feel that being away from them and only seeing them a few times a year has made me appreciate them even more, and drawn us closer.

I think, the way I see it anyway is, Ireland is a great place to go home to, not necessarily a great place to live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement