Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Ireland next week...

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

The only single thing that would make me want to come back to Dublin is famlily.....

When I told my mother & father they both cried. They love me a lot, and that's all I'd regret from leaving...

But every bird's got to fly, huh?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

So Glad wrote:
    The only single thing that would make me want to come back to Dublin is famlily.....

When I told my mother & father they both cried. They love me a lot, and that's all I'd regret from leaving...

Have you not left yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

So Glad wrote:

Ah yeah sure noone wants you here anyway so what else would there be to regret?
    Poor guy, couldn't even find one friend to form a band with, instead he sits in his room and makes crappy music all by his lonesome, dreaming of the day he leaves this country and flees to a country where he thinks he'll be accepted, and for the first time in his life, people WILL want him around!
    Yet, soon enough he'll find out the truth...no matter English, Irish, French, Chinese or any other nationality, noone wants him around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Hey you never know you could end up like that Damien Leith guy and win Australian Idol. The Australians loved him, and it has to be better than winning Your a Star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

i got sick of the country too and went away for a while,after a few weeks youll miss thiss place and your friends and family.good luck tho im sure youll have some great times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ponster wrote:
    ^^ +1

Ireland will never, ever be with the "big boys" though it's not from lack of trying unless the country is sitting on the worlds largets oil/gold/uranium deposit and I don't know about it.
    Rockall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Pat the Baker

I'm leaving Ireland next week too :):):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Terry wrote:
    Rockall.

May the seaguls rise and pluck your eyes.............

Not that i condone any of that behaviour.

I'm leaving Ireland next week too :):):D

I thought you left this world a while ago?

Terry wrote:
    Rockall.
    Is that next to Fúckall

• Advertisement

I thought you left this world a while ago?

Sshhhh... nobody knows im still here

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

So Glad wrote:

yet another cheesy line to add to your repertoire. :rolleyes: perhaps you could include it in one of your songs.

back on topic, best of luck with your travels OP, will open your eyes and mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

kelle wrote:
    You're so right to do it. I desperately wanted to in my 20s, but didn't have the courage. In the end, we bought a house with the money I saved instead (plus a mortgage). I was so disappointed at the time as I really wanted to be in Australia, but looking back I'm glad I did because of the way house prices went.
    Can't do it now as I have 3 small kids. I wish you all the best! You won't regret it, I'm sure.

What do you mean you can't do it. I'm heading to Perth early next year with 3kids under 3. Can't bloody wait. This place is doing my head in. Need to try find somewhere to bring my kids up thats not surrounded by druggies, muggers, murderers, joyriders etc. And slashing the mortgage is a huge bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Thats nonsense! I've only been back from Australia a month and I've seen tonnes of sun, more than I did in the last two months in Perth.

Ah to be fair it was the middle of winter. It's not 365 days of sun here! And sure didn't it rain for 30-odd days straight in Ireland this SUMMER? Weather's pretty sweet here now, pushing mid-20s and rising every week.

Uuuh Patsy wrote:
    What do you mean you can't do it. I'm heading to Perth early next year with 3kids under 3. Can't bloody wait. This place is doing my head in. Need to try find somewhere to bring my kids up thats not surrounded by druggies, muggers, murderers, joyriders etc. And slashing the mortgage is a huge bonus.

Well I wouldn't stay in Northbridge in Perth as that is filled with druggies, muggers, murderers, joyriders, backpackers, pissheads etc.

Xavi6 wrote:
    Ah to be fair it was the middle of winter. It's not 365 days of sun here! And sure didn't it rain for 30-odd days straight in Ireland this SUMMER? Weather's pretty sweet here now, pushing mid-20s and rising every week.
    over 60 days i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Well I wouldn't stay in Northbridge in Perth as that is filled with druggies, muggers, murderers, joyriders, backpackers, pissheads etc.

But nice bars and restauraunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm sick of the people who moan about Ireland like it's South Central. You'd swear we had the worlds highest crime rates and lowest income judging from this. I'm having a fine life here in Ireland, thank you, as are all my friends and pretty much everyone I know, certainly a lot better then what most other countries in the world experience. Huzzah for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

Dont think the statistics would back that up. 1/3 the number of murders (in Western Australia ).
    Nor does the thousands who dont come running back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

I think you should all give the op a break. Fair play to her, she realises that there are other countries that offer better lifestyles than our beautiful Ireland! Dont get me wrong i love Ireland but iv been to plenty of other countries that i would much prefer to live in. At the end of the day Ireland doesnt have all that much to offer really!!

You could be describing any big city there. Perth's far less dodgy than Dublin.

Uuuh Patsy wrote:
    Dont think the statistics would back that up. 1/3 the number of murders (in Western Australia ).
    Nor does the thousands who dont come running back.

Thats because of most of the murders in Western Australia are aboriginal, and "tribal" murders that wouldn't occur in Perth.
    Xavi6 wrote:
    You could be describing any big city there. Perth's far less dodgy than Dublin.

Ok firstly I said Northbridge not all of Perth. Secondly I seen worse in Northbridge than in Templebar on an average weekend. Thirdly that was my point Dublin and Perth are the same as any big city there are good and bad places in both. I dont think you need to leave Dublin to find a safe enviroment to raise your kids which is what the post I replied to said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Haha! it's funny how your name is "So Glad" :p

From the front page of this fortnight's Irish Echo newspaper here in Oz -
    'Screw Cork' says Oz Ad

A new advertising campaign urging Irish people to migrate to South Australia is stirring up controversy with it's cheeky slogans like 'Screw working in Cork, I'm off to Adelaide'.

The provocative advertisements, which are running in newspapers in Ireland and in the UK, have generated a flood of enquiries as well as talkback radio discussion.

Coming on the back of Tourism Australia's widley criticised 'Where the bloody hell are you?' campaign, the South Australian ads have raised many eyebrows.

The campaign was launched by by South Australia's Agent-General in London Bill Muirhead, who is also a founding member of M&C Saatchi advertising agency.

Life in Adelaide had many advantages over life in Britain and Ireland, he claimed. "They have miserable weather, expensive house prices, congestion and lots of other expensive costs of living," he told the Adelaide Advertiser. "It's not rolling vineyards and beautiful beaches".

It goes on a bit more about reasons why people should leave Ireland but this is the main part of the article. The rest can be read here -

http://www.irishecho.com.au/

Has anybody seen these adverts anywhere?

Advertisement