Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of dog food.

Options
  • 29-09-2007 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

As usual I ran out of dog food on a Saturday. Was meaning to go and get the burns dog food at the vets today but the traffic here was unreal all day requiring me to detour miles to get from one side of the town to the other and as a result had no free time until 6:15pm.

Does anyone know a dog food I can get in the shops that won't upset their tummy's. I gave them pedigree as a stop gap before and they got quite sick over it so I don't want to go through that again. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Boil copious amounts of rice, add some chicken (pieces ...broth ...both) They'll love you for it and its stomach calming food too.
    You can get the usual food on Monday then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

If I've forgotten to buy dog food I usually boil some rice and then throw in whatever meat (usually chicken) I happen to have in the fridge. Pasta does the job too.

Wheatabix (mushed up with milk) are ok but really only for pups really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Thanks peasant - much appreciated - that's what ill do so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Eeyup - pretty much do what's posted above meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

i've started to buy aldidog food mixer now and mix it in with my pups royal canine food to spread it out. I then add whatever scrap meat/pasta/rice (once there isnt sauce on it) into her food too...and sometimes bisto - especially since its getting colder, i put warm bisto in her food........ yes i know she's spoilt! and it's reduced salt bisto for her! lmao:D I find with the mixer her food lasts a good bit longer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Wheetabix and warm bovril (yuk, but they love it!) - don't use milk, their stomachs can't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

Rice and meat is good, but don't rely on pasta - no roughage or nutrients of value. bad refined carbs. tut tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

bloody hell, you lot are making me hungry (except Glowing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Well that worked a treat with the dogs. However you do need quite a lot of it to feed them. I cooked a soup kitchen size pot of brown rice, chicken pieces, garden peas and a bag of pasta and feared having to throw a lot of it out but they had it all gone by 6pm yesterday. I only gave them a small bit now and again as they are used to nibbling and no doubt would have eaten the whole pot if it was given to them.

They loved it - thanks but they are back on their regular food now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Oh yeah ..i forgot to mention ...:D

Don't give them too much :D

Our dogs are the same ...as soon as there is something unusual (and tasty) in the bowl, they'd eat until it comes out their ears :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

For a very runny dog, white bread added to the rice and chicken works a treat.

(I had a dog with a very delicate stomach, the white bread is only temporary of course)

Advertisement