Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car - on a 10k Budget!!!

Options
  • 29-09-2007 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

So, I have max 10k to spend and don't have a clue about cars!! I have been looking at various used cars but really don't know what to get.:confused:

The car must be:
    • Not more than 5 years old
    • Have low mileage
    • Min 1.6 engine (or diesel equivalent)
    • Have airbags & decent safety rating
    What I would love:
    • Air con or climate control
    • CD
    • Alloys
    • Central Locking
    • Metallic paint
    • Sunroof :cool:
    • Leather seats!
    • iPOD dock!! :D
    • Convertible!!!
    • Maybach!!!!!:D

I am looking for suggestions on what would be the best car for my cash that would have the 'must haves' and would tick some of the 'love' boxes.
    I am based in Dublin but am willing to travel for a good deal!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

Make preference 19 votes

Ford
    0% 0 votes
    VW
    57% 11 votes
    Peugeot
    31% 6 votes
    Renault
    10% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

None of the above.

Alfa 147, the specs are great fora car of the size...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'll send ya a pm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Thanks Bluefoam. I'm new to Boards.ie & didn't realise I could put more options in the Poll! What are Alpha's like for reliability? After a quick look on cgb.ie I think that they may be out of my price range :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What are Alpha's like for reliability?

/me gets popcorn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Alfa's can be a little expensive to maintain as they use premium parts - they have a poor rep from some for being unreliable, but this is generally untrue and they are equal to most mid brands. However they are incredible to drive and most Alfa owners rave about them - it would be my first choice, but choice is subjective...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

A 2002ish Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdi (130bhp) is a car that goes for around you budget and from what I have read its a cracker despite being 10 a penny on our roads. I was in one and was also inpressed. Punchy enough, nible, economical, not too expensive to own and doesnt look half bad imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Get a Skoda Octavia TDI. I recently retired a 1999 vintage one after having it bought secondhand with 44k on the clock and after giving it another 260K miles of hard labour as a taxi. The only big one ever to go wrong was the gearbox showing serious signs of wear and tear after 200K. Plus their relaibility and quality they also run on a snif of diesel ( +45MPG on average ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Get a Skoda Octavia TDI. I recently retired a 1999 vintage one after having it bought secondhand with 44k on the clock and after giving it another 260K miles of hard labour as a taxi. The only big one ever to go wrong was the gearbox showing serious signs of wear and tear after 200K. Plus their relaibility and quality they also run on a snif of diesel ( +45MPG on average ).

I don't get why Skodas are more reliable than VW's as they are mechanically the same.

Advertisement