Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renting a car - Insurance

Options
  • 29-09-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I'm off to france for a few days and I'm renting a car over there from Hertz.

I was going to go for their insurance options. How covered am I? Fully comp?

Or am I not covered at all and I need to transfer my own insurance to the rental car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Depends on how much you pay. There is basic insurance inclued in the price but that has a huge excess, ~€2000. You can bring this down by paying more, no idea how much Herzt charge but I got it down to €350 with Sixt for €20 for 3 days on an A4 estate. They will over you the extra insurance when you collect the car. There is also a thread here where someone linked to a 3rd party insurance for hire cars.

Unless your own car is a junker I wouldn't transfer your insurance as if anything happened when you where away your own car isn't covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Del2005 wrote:
    ...I wouldn't transfer your insurance as if anything happened when you where away your own car isn't covered.
    Also, why risk your NCB.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement