Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's wrong with M.G. cars?

Options
  • 29-09-2007 11:51pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My ideal car is a small, cheap sports car (convertible if possible). I don't particularly care about the age (old=classic), the interiors (there's nothing a black bag won't fix) or if the engine makes occasional pokita pokita bang noises, as long as it runs.

I've noticed that 1997/1998 MG MGFs are being sold for about the same price as a 2000/2001 vokswagen (€6-7k).

It seems to me that most people would prefer a slightly older sports car to a slightly newer hatchback, so my question is what's wrong with the MGs?

The 3 possibilities that spring to mind are:
    1) since Rover have gone bust, finding parts becomes very difficult/impossible, so they only have a limited road life

2) they're rubbish cars that break down a lot and are completely unreliable

3) they're girls cars, and no self respecting man would drive one.

Of the 3, I'm hoping that they're not sports cars for girls. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

the later model MG TF is not a bad motor (not in the price your talking) - but the early ones gave loads of trouble and weren't exactly a well balanced fine handling motor their looks promise.

Alot of "Men" on this site will say they are girly cars but thats sh*te

I suggest you go look at an MX5 - better in every way.

Most successful sports car ever made and there is good reason - they are just brilliant.

don't worry if the ones in your price are a little older (I haven't looked lately so I don't know) but age means nothing compared to quality - the mazda is the match of the MG in every respect really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've noticed that 1997/1998 MG MGFs are being sold for about the same price as a 2000/2001 vokswagen (€6-7k).

It seems to me that most people would prefer a slightly older sports car to a slightly newer hatchback, so my question is what's wrong with the MGs?

Not everyone would prefer a very impractical 2 seater over a hatch. My mate had one, and loved it. He bought me for a spin in it, and it wasn't bad. However, absolutely no room for baggage - not even two pretend back seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

My girlfriend used to own a 1998 MGF and had nothing but problems with it. Expect to have head gasket failure, a very very common fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

Thoses TF's look nice but I would rather as mentioned an MX5.
    Cooling is a big issue with thoses MG's leading to silly breakdowns at
    low mileage even with cared for examples.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thanks for all the advice - no MG for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you are tall don't bother, you will be looking directly at the top of the windscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

RobAMerc wrote:
    the later model MG TF is not a bad motor (not in the price your talking) - but the early ones gave loads of trouble and weren't exactly a well balanced fine handling motor their looks promise.
    They were fairly well balanced compared to the likes of the MR2 of the time and such. The engine did give head-gasket trouble, but properly fixed examples don't seem to be giving the same issues. The engine is a gem otherwise and can be fairly powerful (160bhp) and still quite frugal on the juice. Caterham and Lotus both used this engine.
    I suggest you go look at an MX5 - better in every way.
    I like the MX-5 and it is the better car (IMNERHO), but it's actually slower, has worse road-holding (though better handling), is less practical, and considerably more expensive. It is hardly better in every way.
    Most successful sports car ever made and there is good reason - they are just brilliant.
    I'm assume that you mean that they are the most popular sports car ever.
    don't worry if the ones in your price are a little older (I haven't looked lately so I don't know) but age means nothing compared to quality - the mazda is the match of the MG in every respect really.
    I'd agree that the Mazda is probably the better buy, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the MG. For the right price, it would be a better buy, especially if you want a mid-engined sports car. Just make sure that you know what you are looking for before you buy (things like mayo in the oil) and you can pick up a bargain sports car.

Advertisement