Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Random Ramblings About UL Thread

Options
  • 30-09-2007 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this sounds like a blog lads, feel free to pick up on anything I said and debate it fiercely with me or add anything of your own.

So I'm down here in UL about 3 weeks now. In this enlightening period I'd like to share with everyone what enlightenment has been bestowed upon me by the enlighteners of UL. If you'll bear with me of course :p

I'm doing Law & Accounting, this type of animal is known as a Laccy as far as I know. It's hard to know what the Laccy species consists of cos we're landed in with the business crowd and law & euro crowd for all of the lectures and tutes. I currently know 3 other people who are doing my course, one of my mates I went to school with and two others who we randomly met. I'd like to know more laccys but unfortunately the majority of the species don't frequent boards. Feck.

Kilmurray. My residence for the next year. Fairly easy to settle into considering I'm staying with two mates I went to school with and one of them is doing my course. But all is not rosy PJ. Sweet mother of jaysus how they expect 8 people to live adequately in the size of the house I don't fecking know. The size of the fecking fridge for fúck sake! 3 people would do well to live peacefully in that living room/kitchen thing. Courtesy of moi the house recieved delivery of 2 spanking new kitchen chairs bringing the grand total up to 5. Woo! We also have the "shop" across from us. It's a nice decoration to the place. All is not so bad though, being so close to the Arena and all is cool, as is the short cut through the fields to the lodge.

So far, so good, says Brendan. Which brings me to my next point, Le Lodge. Maybe I'm not a romantic, or maybe I'm just missing the homeliness of it but name of jaysus....they play rock the boat regularly! Add this to the VDP (Variable Drink Prices) where a Vodka costs €4:30 some nights and €4 others, the cúnts that work there (Can I get 2 vodkas buddy? > "I'm not your ****ing buddy") and the maniac DJ -Rock The Boat, Delilah ffs! it just hasn't grown on me. Yet. It's a fecking cattle mart too. My experience of town has thus far been confined to Clohessys, Mollys and Trinity Rooms, I was impressed by the trinity rooms from what I can remember of it.

Overall, I'm impressed by UL, I'm enjoying it, it's been no problem to settle in. I think I made the right choice.

So any other thoughts or opinions on UL? May as well make this thread for discussing anything at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I have to take issue with the lodge thing...how can you not like rock the boat...every time we have an Ógra event in UL the whole yout committee and other colleges go to the Lodge specifically to do reock the boat. Delilah I'll give you though...he can be dodgy and is very protective of that disco ball

DO NOT TOUCH THE DISCO BALL. You WILL get kicked out :o:o:o

I'm from Limerick so I suppose I really undervalue Trinity Rooms. I have a distinct dislike of the place. It's fiull of jocks and **** as well as dirty old men, though it is possible (on occasion) to have a good night there...when it's not 2000 over capacity.

I much prefer Sin Bin, the interactive DJ is the best part really and he knows to mix the playlist with 80s oldies, 90s classics, 00s Dance and the chart stuff too. You just get the same dance ****e anywhere else unless you like indie and funky smells in which case there's Costellos, where I've been once and don't intend returning to...it's just better than the Market which is now closed still AFAIK.

You reaqlly have to try to get to know people when you're on your orientation tour or else you risk being left out in the cold. I met one of my best friends in college randomly in Trinity Room, though this isn't always the case. There are also 7 other people from my school doing either Business or L&A, with at least 10 more doing other UL courses, so it was handy to know people day 1. My dad's friend's son was in one of my smaller classes for German. The language classes are a good place to find friends as they're small adn you have to talk to each other.

Join a club or soc to get to know people. If there isn't one you like, set one up. There's a support system to do so if it's viable. Even the SU staff know me at this stage from socs.

Become a class rep and use it to bring your class together. Eightball(ents) are doing karting and paintball class parties now so that could be a lot better than going to a pub where you can't hear yourself, nevermind anyone else.

Dunno if that's the type of thing you were looking for, but anyhow, it's a perspective on UL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

ninty9er wrote:
    Dunno if that's the type of thing you were looking for, but anyhow, it's a perspective on UL

I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, I thought a thread about the various intricacies of UL would be good. Basically this thread isn't about me it's about you, UL(My god I sound like an SU rep....) and any random stuff you think of.

As for the lodge, twice I've gone there when I've not been suitably mangled so maybe my view is tainted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

cson wrote:
    As for the lodge, twice I've gone there when I've not been suitably mangled so maybe my view is tainted :D

Go there absolutely sober - it's nearly better fun 'cos you can jump like a loony yet stop when you see bouncers looking at you, and also laugh at the stupid things other drunkies do. Just a word of warning though, don't get on the wrong side of those bouncers. They're lethal. Enough said. :eek:

Getting involved is def the way to meet people, but you'll always meet people randomly. In first year I was adding at least 5-10 new phone numbers to my phone every week from people I was meeting, I'll admit that rate has slowed down now, but walking from the SU shop down towards the Plaza and guaranteed to say hello to a load of faces. It's a nice feeling. It takes time to settle in, but soon you'll realise that everyone else is as eager to make friends as you are and it's as simple as simply striking up a conversation with the random person beside you in a lec ("What the hell is going on?") or a tut ("Have you done the readings?") or talking to the person who's friends with your friend that you've just bumped into around the place. I love UL for the reason that it's a place where everyone's willing to talk to anyone else. If you see me around say hi (I won't get freaked out :D).

Edit:
    ninty9er wrote:
    unless you like indie and funky smells in which case there's Costellos, where I've been once and don't intend returning to...it's just better than the Market which is now closed still AFAIK.

Costello's rocks. There is no pretentiousness in there whatsoever and a mad bean like myself can jump to my sober heart's content without some stinkin' bouncer telling me to calm down and make me dance like a toooooooooooooooooooool! Plus there's none of that techno dance shíte that has taken over T'rooms lately. WTF is that about like!? Nice club, but the music's atrocious! :p

You'll be the bluedolphin right? :D

Who was the genius that put the fairy liquid in the fountain as you walk down to the library? What an idea, the water is still green. I was nearly gonna bring the dishes down for an oul scrub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Ah the old 'fairy.in.the.fountain' prank. You'll get used to that sight over the next four years.

Random ramblings from me: The Scholars :(

I'll let someone else fill you on on that. It's too hard to talk about :(

• Advertisement

Hmmm from what I understand either the Spar or Java is the graveyard of the scholars, which was once a student bar. Special place in some peoples hearts etc?

Short answer: yes.

Spar + Java's = Scholars

*sigh*

And, yes, I'll be the blue dolphin walking around the place. You'll surely recognise me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

kaimera wrote:
    It's too hard to talk about :(

Fact.:( :(

What's the major drama about the scholars, why was it so good? :confused:

Something that annoyed me today: Queuing for comps in the library where I really badly needed one to get lecture notes printed before a lecture (I know I shoulda done it a week ago) and out of 8 comps on my left as you queue, 6 were on bebo. Now I've probably done this myself before but for some reason it annoyed the shíte outta me and prompted images of a bebo ban campaign. On a positive note, I managed not to fall asleep during Business Info Management today. Woo!

• Advertisement

cson wrote:

Something that annoyed me today: Queuing for comps in the library where I really badly needed one to get lecture notes printed before a lecture (I know I shoulda done it a week ago) and out of 8 comps on my left as you queue, 6 were on bebo. Now I've probably done this myself before but for some reason it annoyed the shíte outta me and prompted images of a bebo ban campaign. On a positive note, I managed not to fall asleep during Business Info Management today. Woo!

Hmmm I think Class Reps' Council voted to veto Bebo on computers, but I'm not sure what became of the whole campaign because there was the argument that ITD presented that it didn't want to go down the line of blocking websites on freedom grounds, etc., etc.

But yes, it is head wrecking.

If you have the courage, go to one of those people and tell them to boot it that you need it for college work.

I would. If I didn't have a laptop, that is :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

cson wrote:
    Kilmurray. My residence for the next year.

massive party in kilmurry tomorrow night

bring......everyone and lets see what happens........the turntables / strobe lights are already on their way

edit; removed number on the off chance that someone who would do something to stop the party sees it but just go to the back of kilmurry after say 6.30 with drink and youll find the place

also i have been down here 4 weeks and besides the weekends having nothing to do i luv the place..........im also waiting for the weather to clear a bit so i can do my first skydive with skydive ul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

ninty9er wrote:
    I much prefer Sin Bin, the interactive DJ is the best part really and he knows to mix the playlist with 80s oldies, 90s classics, 00s Dance and the chart stuff too.

Jimmy doesnt mix, he uses DJ exclusive CDs for that. I DJd with Jimmy back in 98/99 when Trinity Room was Docs and he is still playing the same stuff now as he was then!!!

Interactive.. he is fricken hyper active.. And you are complaining about jocks in the T-Rooms.. do you know what the bin of sin is???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

cson wrote:
    QUOTE]

It just was a second bar.. for those of us who didnt want a muckers pub that was the stables at the time. Sunday morning hangovers with full irish breakies till 3 with big couches, chilled beats and the papers.. it didnt get much better than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

cson wrote:
    On a positive note, I managed not to fall asleep during Business Info Management today. Woo!
    That IS an achievement. There are very few of our species that can survive a whole hour of BIM. In fact, they're very few of our species who go to the BIM lectures at all!!! Kudos to you!;)

Uh BIM the fastest way to go back to sleep after you wake up, if that makes sense.

As for the scholars, I guess you can't miss what you never had :p Oh btw dd anyone see the little china van driving around the gaff yesterday pimping java's? I was very tempted to hit it a shoulder....the size of it, lol.

One day to go!! Are we all very excited?!??!

Java open in 8ish hours. Supposedly :p

Why is the mash in the stables so crap? Oh lord, the things that trouble me these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

cson wrote:
    Java open in 8ish hours. Supposedly :p

Why is the mash in the stables so crap? Oh lord, the things that trouble me these days...

Cause the food in the stables is crap. If you absolutely have to eat on campus the Sports Bar or else the place beside the library are the best. IMO

and the place beside the library is expensive...

paddocks ftw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Ah, the library place isn't that bad (Whats it called?), I haven't been there since last semester but you can get fed for under a fiver which is always good. Paddocks is good enough too. The place hidden away on the second floor near the ski slopes used to be OK too.

Yeah the Paddocks and the library place are grand so long as you don't mind chicken with extra chicken. Does anyone serve beef on campus? Chicken this and chicken that....can't be good for you!

^ That eerily resembles something I posted about 3 mins ago...dejá vu indeed.

Anyway, I was gonna stick this in a thread of its own but feck it, here'll do; Anybody notice the large influx of skobie types in the campus during the open day? It seems like Moyross/Southill/Weston decided to relocate its youth to UL for the day....

Fecking school childer clogging up the student court yard, couldn't get within a country mile of any the restaurants today, let alone the Spar for a roll. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

All the scuts from around Limerick go on the open days as an excuse for a day off. Kids these days seem to be lacking in motor skills, as they were incapable of holding on to papers and bottles and stuff - the place was such a mess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

cson wrote: »
    Fecking school childer clogging up the student court yard, couldn't get within a country mile of any the restaurants today, let alone the Spar for a roll. :p

Just skip the queue - I did:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

During the last open day I was present for I gave some silly woman 20 cent in the Paddocks just to get her to stop fumbling in her purse and get a move on (I was hungover and hungry).

Damn school children.

Cheers
    Rory

They are quite infuriating... What's with this whole congregating in millions mullarky? Why?? And such condescending looks being thrown about the place! Scary people are school kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

wats with 17/18 yr olds STILL going to stupid little hiding places (like behind the arena) to score. if your too embarassed to be kissing someone in front of yourmates they are probably too ugly to be kissing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

In Maynooth they have the open day at weekends, stops all the wasters from going.

Makes sense to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Anybody notice the large influx of skobie types in the campus during the open day? It seems like Moyross/Southill/Weston decided to relocate its youth to UL for the day....
    All the scuts from around Limerick go on the open days as an excuse for a day off.

Is there any need for that in all fairness?!:(

First, many secondary schools in Limerick have the day off to give pupils the option of going to open days - so the argument that they are only here for a day off school is redundant.

Second, there are more pupils here from outside Limerick, so why confine yourself to the areas you mentioned?

Cson, next time you're in your law lecture take a look around you. You might be surprised to find hte person sitting behind you is from Southill/ Moyross/ Weston etc etc.:)

Advertisement