Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Random Ramblings About UL Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

cson wrote: »
    Shure why not have a BULBs + Mary Dry-er beers altogether! :p

One last night out next week before we have to *sigh* study *sigh*. So is it to be Icon on Tuesday or Trooms on Thursday (Actually the schtate of Trooms last Thursday... they must let in all the skobies if it isn't busy or something)

Class reps thingmabob on Tuesday which is supposedly ending up in town...hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

See and all these ULers have *no* clue about the wondrousness of Fennessy's! :) It's ours, all ours dearest F_M! :D

Whenever suits you my beloved ;)
    Our little secret eh?!!;)
    Whenever suits me either..BEGS NOT PICKING!!:D
    Shure why not have a BULBs + Mary Dry-er beers altogether! :p
    Can we have less of the Mary Dry please!!:mad:..
    One last night out next week before we have to *sigh* study *sigh*. So is it to be Icon on Tuesday or Trooms on Thursday (Actually the schtate of Trooms last Thursday... they must let in all the skobies if it isn't busy or something)
    Can't do next week..I up the walls, have two german essays due in that Friday!:( Hense my last proper college night out is Thursday!!!:eek:
    That's scary..real world is nearly apon me! *breathe*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Our little secret eh?!!;)
    Whenever suits me either..BEGS NOT PICKING!!:D

:pac:

Tuesday night = no good; currently scheduled to work and trying desperately to get out of it to go to the Lodge seeing as it's my *sniff* last *sniff, sniff* 4th year Tuesday Lodge night *bawls*

Now, Thursday, on the other hand...

But what's this talk of T'Rooms? Yuck! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Smooth ;)

Thanks, but I am only telling the truth!
    I'm just raging I didnt buy a ticket for the BBS ball tonight :(

Mossin wrote: »
    Thanks, but I am only telling the truth!
    I'm just raging I didnt buy a ticket for the BBS ball tonight :(

There may be still some available...? If you're stuck in work I can check for you... :)

• Advertisement

There may be still some available...? If you're stuck in work I can check for you... :)

Its short notice now, I said to myself that I didnt want to go, but a woman has me thinking I should have bought the ticket. Its hard to know what reaction I'd get if I turned up now, so I'm not going to go....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its short notice now, I said to myself that I didnt want to go, but a woman has me thinking I should have bought the ticket. Its hard to know what reaction I'd get if I turned up now, so I'm not going to go....:o

Playa! :cool:

CSON you have a poor opinion of me....I wonder where that came from?

If you really want to go (for free), tip for you, we did this at the first year ball for a few friends.

*bluedolphin close your eyes now*

If you have a mate in there (You surely should have in the BBS Ball) when the ents crew go around handing out the wristbands, get your mate to pocket one and then go up to a different ents crew and say they were in the toilet while they were giving them out. Get the second wristband and put it on, go out to you (who'll be hiding in the smoking area of the southcourt) and hand you the spare one.

Granted you won't get a dinner out of it but you'll still get in. For free. All you need is a shirt, slacks and shoes. There'll be plenty of jackets for ya. One of my mates took home 5 the last night.

If you really want to go (for free), tip for you, we did this at the first year ball for a few friends.

If you have a mate in there (You surely should have in the BBS Ball) when the ents crew go around handing out the wristbands, get your mate to pocket one and then go up to a different ents crew and say they were in the toilet while they were giving them out. Get the second wristband and put it on, go out to you (who'll be hiding in the smoking area of the southcourt) and hand you the spare one.

Granted you won't get a dinner out of it but you'll still get in. For free. All you need is a shirt, slacks and shoes. There'll be plenty of jackets for ya. One of my mates took home 5 the last night.

LMAO :D
    That is genius, but tbh I think I'd better see what the reaction would be first.
    I'll definitely keep this in mind though....Oh look its lunch time :)

• Advertisement

Erm, just to mention something that might spoil the candy... What happened at the first year ball isn't what normally happens at the balls (and seeing as you're a firstie you wouldn't know this!). If you remember the buses were disastrous so Crew were delayed getting out to the South Court. No one was supposed to be let in until we arrived, but hotel management decided to go ahead and let everyone in. What was supposed to happen (and what happens normally at balls) is that everyone comes in the main entrance, gives in their ticket and puts on the wristband there and then. No ticket, no wristband. No wristband, no entry. No ifs or buts. It's pretty reliable 'cos the door is small and easily manageable and you have to give in your ticket to get the wristband.

However the management decided to take matters into their own hands and let people in. We knew there were extra people there; it was obvious (from the fact that we had the exact number of wristbands to match ticket sales). And we knew people were doing what you've described, but we had no way of proving otherwise. There was nothing we could do about it; it was the hotel's fault so they had to deal with the consequences. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

There is never a problem getting into the southcourt though. The place is too big to control and there is too many entrances to the hotel. Halloween ball was free for me last time.

Sorry Bluedolphin, but I couldnt get a ticket:o

Corkette's going so then ya?!;):D

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Corkette's going so then ya?!;):D

Very presumptious aren't we!!

Well to be fair, I seem to be right in my guesses lately!!:D

To date yes you are correct......

Speaking of that date :cool:

Your persistant that's for sure!

Only the select few are lucky enough to get a date with me I'm afraid tho!:p
    Perhaps Corkette will be nice enough to give you a second date? And now that your earning lots of mula I'm sure you'll be able to manage a step up from the stables!;)

I keep putting myself up there, and am shot down again and again. Ah well, god loves a trier, or so they say! It was worth one last shot though...:)

Maybe she will allow me to take her out sometime again, only time will tell I suppose. As for all my mula, it wouldnt be so bad to spend some it on her and bring her someplace nice....I hear the Hurlers is good these days :p

Ah no though, seriously any suggestions...I'm awful at this like:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Ah now, I go out to the site with no tinternet access and I come back to work to check emails to find shenanigans occuring on my beloved UL forum! :eek:!

I keep putting myself up there, and am shot down again and again. Ah well, god loves a trier, or so they say! It was worth one last shot though...:)

Maybe she will allow me to take her out sometime again, only time will tell I suppose. As for all my mula, it wouldnt be so bad to spend some it on her and bring her someplace nice....I hear the Hurlers is good these days :p

Ah no though, seriously any suggestions...I'm awful at this like:(

Right, my thoughts.

Cinema: Pretty obvious, its basically the default venue for a date. Its handy in that it leaves very little planning or effort. But there are a lot of minus points. The first being you won't get to talk too much to your date, the second being the choice of film - likely to be a contentious point. It also marks you out as being not very creative or spontaneous.

Pub: Plenty of time to chat and get to know each other. Another plus point is the alcohol. Then again, you could find out all you want to know after 5 mins chatting to the person. The pub marks you out as a mans man as such. Not the most romantic of venues for a date.

Show/Gig/Theatre: The University Concert Hall should provide lots of opportunities for these. And its very convienient too. Plus points of this venue are you do get to talk to each other but still get to catch a show. And its near home! I'd suggest something like Des Bishop (He's doing the UCH soon iirc), light hearted night out. (Add in a walk across the living bridge at night, and bobs your aunty)

Races: Go racing - let yourself go! Very underrated as a date venue. Limerick race track is *kinda* accessible if you don't have a car and its good craic even if you know nothing about horses. Again, plenty of time for chatting, beering and dining all rolled into one along with some gambling.

Swimming: I find this can be good craic. Having said that, the Arena wouldn't be my choice, I'd prefer a somewhat *classier* place if you're gonna do this option. Chillax in the Jacuzzi and Sauna and Steam room and race each other in the pool. Fun, Fun, Fun!

Dogs: A night at the greyhounds is a good idea. But not in Limerick. Far, far too close to Limerick Prison for any kind of date. Unless her name is Jacinta and she wants to lash it in-ta-ya.

Unigolf: Right across from UL is unigolf. Good craic again but you'd want to couple it with the cinema or something. Not enough substance.

Dinner: Again, like the cinema, very predictable. And very mature. A kinda older persons date is to go out for dinner. Anyway, make sure its a classy place but not too hard on the student (or intel workers) wallet. Not too sure where's good in Limerick, but make sure its quiet and not McDonalds - i.e. Not somewhere busy like Finnegans where you've to shout to be heard. Good for getting to know someone, quite romantic if you pick the right place but very hard on the wallet if you choose to carry chivalry in your armour. (Note: Some women will freak out if you try to pay for them! I know its crazy, but women are crazy.)

Bunratty: Close. Romantic. Irish. Cheesy. Maybe.

Right, if I think of anymore, I'll type them up. thats off the top of my head.

Oh and a female perspective would be nice :pac:

• Advertisement

Right I'm just in from work so somewhat grouchy but here goes...
    Cinema: Pretty obvious, its basically the default venue for a date. Its handy in that it leaves very little planning or effort. But there are a lot of minus points. The first being you won't get to talk too much to your date, the second being the choice of film - likely to be a contentious point. It also marks you out as being not very creative or spontaneous.

Predictable. Not a good choice for first few dates; impossible to get to know each other.
    Pub: Plenty of time to chat and get to know each other. Another plus point is the alcohol. Then again, you could find out all you want to know after 5 mins chatting to the person. The pub marks you out as a mans man as such. Not the most romantic of venues for a date.

Can be ok but make sure it's not an overcrowded, super pub... A nice old man's local pub is the best for this job. And don't go overboard on the drinks. Yes, a drink or two may relax you, but too many could lead to embarrassing moments.
    Show/Gig/Theatre: The University Concert Hall should provide lots of opportunities for these. And its very convienient too. Plus points of this venue are you do get to talk to each other but still get to catch a show. And its near home! I'd suggest something like Des Bishop (He's doing the UCH soon iirc), light hearted night out. (Add in a walk across the living bridge at night, and bobs your aunty)

I like this one. Well, I'd be impressed if I was brought to a comedy gig or music gig of someone I liked. Would show a common interest first of all, plus as cson mentioned you can chat away to an extent through it. As well, at least you'll have that to talk about after if during those awkward moments in the conversation.
    Races: Go racing - let yourself go! Very underrated as a date venue. Limerick race track is *kinda* accessible if you don't have a car and its good craic even if you know nothing about horses. Again, plenty of time for chatting, beering and dining all rolled into one along with some gambling.

Eh, no thanks.
    Swimming: I find this can be good craic. Having said that, the Arena wouldn't be my choice, I'd prefer a somewhat *classier* place if you're gonna do this option. Chillax in the Jacuzzi and Sauna and Steam room and race each other in the pool. Fun, Fun, Fun!

Are you nuts?! No girl would be willing to strip down to a bathing suit that early on! Not a chance!
    Dogs: A night at the greyhounds is a good idea. But not in Limerick. Far, far too close to Limerick Prison for any kind of date. Unless her name is Jacinta and she wants to lash it in-ta-ya.

Erm, no...?
    Unigolf: Right across from UL is unigolf. Good craic again but you'd want to couple it with the cinema or something. Not enough substance.

Not a bad idea! Could be fun with a group of you as well...Same goes for go-karting (about 30mins outside Limerick city in Kilcornan...so much fun!! But not really a place to chat I guess...Fine, just go there with friends, it's savage!)
    Dinner: Again, like the cinema, very predictable. And very mature. A kinda older persons date is to go out for dinner. Anyway, make sure its a classy place but not too hard on the student (or intel workers) wallet. Not too sure where's good in Limerick, but make sure its quiet and not McDonalds - i.e. Not somewhere busy like Finnegans where you've to shout to be heard. Good for getting to know someone, quite romantic if you pick the right place but very hard on the wallet if you choose to carry chivalry in your armour. (Note: Some women will freak out if you try to pay for them! I know its crazy, but women are crazy.)

Nice place in Limerick is Luigi Malone's in town and fairly reasonable. Same goes for Bella Italia or Milano's or Texas Steakhouse if you're not into Italian grub. Going for dinner is an option but it's very formal and very serious kinda...IMHO anyway!
    Bunratty: Close. Romantic. Irish. Cheesy.
    Maybe.

Or maybe not...? I suppose a day trip to walk around out there when the weather's nicer would be all right. I suppose. :p

Sometimes hanging out watching a DVD or something can be nice, if that's an option. Go for a picnic if you get a nice day. Having a car could be an advantage - Killaloe is nice and has a quiet, small stony beach.

I'm not sure what else cos I'm useless at this whole dating mullarky and I'm sworn off relationships and anything that could lead to one (aka dating) for the time being.

Good luck anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I second the gig or summet along the like.
    Perhaps a picanic? I have no idea where in LIM ya'd go but :)

Better still, the dvd idea and then you cook fewd, no take-out crap [unless she likes apache!]

Cheers for all the help. Its much appreciated.

Ok, my take on things..
    No, no , no!! It's just pure awkward.
    Vowed never to do it again after my last outing there with a guy.
    Yeah, I like this, can get to know the person alot.
    Dont go over board on the alcohol, not classy.
    You'd have to have alot in common/get on otherwise it could be a short night out as sitting in silent isn't very appealing.
    Show/Gig/Theatre: The University Concert Hall should provide lots of opportunities for these. And its very convienient too. Plus points of this venue are you do get to talk to each other but still get to catch a show. And its near home! I'd suggest something like Des Bishop (He's doing the UCH soon iirc), light hearted night out. (Add in a walk across the living bridge at night, and bobs your aunty):
    I like this one alot..
    I'd be well up for this! Something different. Can chat, bet, shout, drink and eat..sounds like fun!
    However, you'd want to know that you like and get on well with the date as your kinda stuck there for the day, no 'emergency calls' etc..lol.
    HAHAHAHA good one!:rolleyes:
    I like this aswell..kinda like the racing one, however it could be more fun as the dogs go around the track quicker..more of an exciting atmosphere.
    I like this aswell..Im slightly competitive so i'll want to beat him at it!:o
    Very formal! Would'nt like it myself for a first date or second date but after that I'd be fine with it.
    Some nice/reasonable chinese/italian/normal resturants around Limerick.
    Wouldn't like to do it just as, you'd have you couple it with something before or after.
    Bunratty: Close. Romantic. Irish. Cheesy. Maybe.
    I dunno, if a guy suggested that i'd be abit taken back..fair enough if the girl did history in college or something and has an interest. Not my cupa.

Personally, id love to go some sort of match..Not a big scale match or anything, but something like club GAA, rugby, soccer around the place. Though the fella would want to know people playing as we'd have some genuine reason to be there/can shout and support them

Was go karting in abbeyfield about two weeks ago, savage craic, though their was a group of us. Could be bit boring just the two ye.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Very educational, would read again.

Ctrl+P

:D

We are finding out more about the females on here, than giving advice..

And what is it your finding out about us?!

@ bluedolphin: Don't knock the racing unless you've tried it!

@ kaimera: Bad idea imo. The night in, dvd thing is something I'd associate with 3 months down the line when you're going out with the girl. Then again ou could be a great cook! But in my mind, thats not the best idea for a first/second date.

@ Fast_Mover: You're out on your own with the match idea. I guarantee you 75% of women you suggest that to will laugh at you. Thats why I like the other 25% better :p

Right, scratch the Bunratty thing too, I was running out of ideas. But the swimming? I've done a couple of times like so I can't understand the aversion to it here!

• Advertisement

In fairness we are finding out a lot.
    Likes/dislikes etc...
    Points to note for future reference :cool:

Advertisement