Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Random Ramblings About UL Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

ergonomics wrote: »
    Yup, all gone, except for my tongue. And I lost one from my ear too, which I'd had for years and years.

Oh yeah, I'm gonna start campaigning from the minute I get back...after Christmas. When you see my campaign you'll be too afraid to even think of running again. Oh yeah, I'm that good.

Good stuff. :rolleyes:

On a completely unrelated note, I'm not seeing the connection between a Cyclops smiley and sarcasm...:rollseyes:... Any of the geeky nerdy types care to enlighten me (yes, I'm looking at you, Kai/Peteee/Rmacm ;))?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Woop, outdoor barbie Q! That sun better stay there for me to go out and enjoy. I slaved away yesterday while it teased me. With its hotness and all that.

"Come to Homer's BBBQ. The extra B is for BYOBB"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Good stuff. :rolleyes:

On a completely unrelated note, I'm not seeing the connection between a Cyclops smiley and sarcasm...:rollseyes:... Any of the geeky nerdy types care to enlighten me (yes, I'm looking at you, Kai/Peteee/Rmacm ;))?
    Minimalist skin ftw.

Normal rolleyes for me :) None of this ****ty cyclops malarky.

kaimera wrote: »
    Minimalist skin ftw.

Normal rolleyes for me :) None of this ****ty cyclops malarky.

So that's a no, then? On the enlightenment...

So that's a no, then? On the enlightenment...
    You had yore chance of enlightenment and passed it up iirc ;)

• Advertisement

You had yore chance of enlightenment and passed it up iirc ;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And that's all I have to say about that!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And that's all I have to say about that!
    Whats with the cyclopi ?

Yore just upset now! *smug*

Whats with the cyclopi ?

Yore just upset now! *smug*

Yore right. I am upset. But it's about the fact that I don't know and can't find out whether the assumptions underlying Pareto efficiency in production are the same four assumptions underlying the first welfare theorem. :(

If any business/economics head wishes to enlighten me I'll be more than grateful to accept information. And will pay in cookies :pac:

Yore right. I am upset. But it's about the fact that I don't know and can't find out whether the assumptions underlying Pareto efficiency in production are the same four assumptions underlying the first welfare theorem. :(

If any business/economics head wishes to enlighten me I'll be more than grateful to accept information. And will pay in cookies :pac:
    Short answer is that only two of the assumptions are the same

Short answer is that only two of the assumptions are the same

And the long answer is...? :confused:

• Advertisement

And the long answer is...? :confused:
    *snigger*

In yore dreams darlin' :pac:

*snigger*

In yore dreams darlin' :pac:

And I thought Pareto efficiency was confusing... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Not a business/economics head but here goes.

If you haven't already try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_efficiency it looks like it might have what you're looking for. I've come across the concepts before in a production enviornment or at least I think it was something similar to Paerto Efficiency.

rmacm wrote: »
    Not a business/economics head but here goes.

If you haven't already try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_efficiency it looks like it might have what you're looking for. I've come across the concepts before in a production enviornment or at least I think it was something similar to Paerto Efficiency.

Thanks. I had a look at that (but of course: Wiki - the first tool to which any third level student turns for information, regardless of its potential dubious nature). It doesn't quite answer what I'm asking. Basically, there are 4 assumptions underlying the first welfare theorem of economics, but I'm not sure if they're the same ones that underlie Pareto efficiency cos it could be that the assumption of perfectly competitive markets is the assumption underlying it! :confused:

I've given in. I've just emailed my tutor and asked him. Damn inconsistencies. Damn economics. Damn ex*ms. Damn. Yeah, I wish I was in the 'Dam... :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I just finished reading the "Things I wish I knew when I finished college" thread in After Hours and dear god some of it was depressing!!!! Now I really dont want to leave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I don't want to leave college either!!
    Got a UL post-grad prospectus the other week and NOTHING appeals to me..same goes for all the other post-grad courses in other colleges! Ahhh!! I need to find a course a.s.a.p people!!!!
    It really hit me this weekend while I was making out my C.V/cover letter etc that I'm not ready to be a professional/have responsibility..
    I'm still an ickle 20yr old who would miss college to watch the afternoon showing of home and away/neighbours (to watch it again in the evening!) or who decides to head out clubbing at 12midnight or who is not a morning person..the list goes on!

Breathe F_M..Breathe!!

And that is why I'm going to be a sabbat next year :D And then I shall do a post grad of some description. And then I'll go travelling. For a long time. By the age of 30, it'll be time to do another undergrad as by then I'll want to do something completely different to what I've just done a degree in. I is so wise. :pac:

Well Iv put off the real world by J1ing for the summer and probably travelling for most of next year aswell but it just doesnt seem like putting it off for long enough. Like F_M no Postgrad appeals to me. I guess I should have become a Sabbat....

cooperguy wrote: »
    Well Iv put off the real world by J1ing for the summer and probably travelling for most of next year aswell but it just doesnt seem like putting it off for long enough. Like F_M no Postgrad appeals to me. I guess I should have become a Sabbat....

Oooh! Where are you J1ing? Meant to ask you (saw your thread in student and youth travel: with regard to that, preload a credit card and it doesn't charge you IIRC, or else minimally. Do not use your Irish atm card there: extortionately high withdrawal charges. You may need to set up an American a/c - easy enough to do and since they don't do direct transfer of payments you get paid by cheques and need an a/c to cash them. We all set up a/cs with Washington Mutual - handy out. Also, with regard to bringing money over - we were never asked anything about finances...think that's only at the Embassy/prior to visa issuance..not sure though, but def can't recall being checked for having that amount of money). Went to San Diego (like every other Irish student!) last summer so if you're headed there let me know and I can give you some advice!

Definitely planning on travelling as well... Gonna do the Trans-Manchurian railway next summer (anyone wanna come?). Plan is to fly to London, and get the train from there! Then ferry from Shanghai to Japan and fly home from Tokyo or someplace. Details need working out, but that's the general plan over 5-6 weeks. Shall need to do some (read: a lot) of saving this year.

Not bothered on taking the whole gap-year-to-Oz...would rather do a RTW trip, focusing on C/S America and Asia. Would love to see Africa at some stage too.

*sigh*

So many places, so little money, so little time off... :(

It's going to be weird; this is my first summer in Limerick in three years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Oh, to be in first year again! :p

Only a week left... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Oooh! Where are you J1ing?
    /sniff!
    Oh to be back in America for the summer again!:(
    You're gonna have such a great time..im extremely jealous!
    Went to San Diego (like every other Irish student!) last summer so if you're headed there let me know and I can give you some advice!
    Well not true..myself and my friends went East Coast (Rhode Island):)
    Would love to see Africa at some stage too.
    Make sure you do..such a fantastic place! Would go back there in the morning if I could!
    It's going to be weird; this is my first summer in Limerick in three years...
    Yeah, same with myself but replace Limerick with Cork obviously.
    I'v got the lovely pleasure of job hunting. Have to be around to keep an eye on the papers/internet/send in CV's/do interviews!:(
    Thankfully all my college friends are in the same boat, so I'm not depressed hearing from them in far away places or anything!:D
    We have booked 4days in Germany alright so that's the furthest outa Ireland we'll be getting. Will do roadtrips/weekends around Ireland visiting everyone though..we're good for that!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    I don't want to leave college either!!
    Got a UL post-grad prospectus the other week and NOTHING appeals to me..same goes for all the other post-grad courses in other colleges! Ahhh!! I need to find a course a.s.a.p people!!!!
    It really hit me this weekend while I was making out my C.V/cover letter etc that I'm not ready to be a professional/have responsibility..
    I'm still an ickle 20yr old who would miss college to watch the afternoon showing of home and away/neighbours (to watch it again in the evening!) or who decides to head out clubbing at 12midnight or who is not a morning person..the list goes on!

Breathe F_M..Breathe!!

It's not so bad, you'll have lots of money and umm... well, you can buy stuff with money. Whoever said you cant buy hapiness was looking in the wrong shop!

Oh bugger it's monday again, to spend another week in that bloody place!

... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

We have booked 4days in Germany alright so that's the furthest outa Ireland we'll be getting.

On the plus side, Sie werden sehr effizient, wenn Sie kommen zurück, no school will be able to refuse giving you a job with your staunch German teaching methods.
    Will do roadtrips/weekends around Ireland visiting everyone though..we're good for that!!

Come to Dublin I'm sure us Alumni could introduce you to new levels of depravity.
    Peteee wrote: »
    Whoever said you cant buy hapiness was looking in the wrong shop!

Indeed, I hear this guy is doing a good deal on it this week:

yesman.jpg

Peteee wrote: »
    Oh bugger it's monday again, to spend another week in that bloody place!

... :(

Quiet you, you know we work for the greatest telecoms company on the planet.

/sniff!
    Oh to be back in America for the summer again!:(
    You're gonna have such a great time..im extremely jealous!
    I know, I wish I was going back again this summer. *sigh*

Well not true..myself and my friends went East Coast (Rhode Island):)
    :pac:

Make sure you do..such a fantastic place! Would go back there in the morning if I could!
    Oooh! Where were you?

Yeah, same with myself but replace Limerick with Cork obviously.
    I'v got the lovely pleasure of job hunting. Have to be around to keep an eye on the papers/internet/send in CV's/do interviews!:(
    Thankfully all my college friends are in the same boat, so I'm not depressed hearing from them in far away places or anything!:D
    We have booked 4days in Germany alright so that's the furthest outa Ireland we'll be getting. Will do roadtrips/weekends around Ireland visiting everyone though..we're good for that!!

I was watching the first part of Jonathan Dimbleby's Russia series on the Beeb tonight. It was difficult not to get up afterwards and pack a backpack and shout cheerio and head off on a trek tonight. *sigh* Good things come to those who wait, right? :o

"Edit: It's never too late to add a full stop."
    No; no it isn't. :pac:

Oooh! Where are you J1ing?...Also, with regard to bringing money over - we were never asked anything about finances...think that's only at the Embassy/prior to visa issuance..not sure though, but def can't recall being checked for having that amount of money). Went to San Diego (like every other Irish student!) last summer so if you're headed there let me know and I can give you some advice!

Im going up the road from there. Huntington Beach is where im headed. Cant wait:D According to USIT you could be asked to prove you have $950 to set yourself up. Seemingly the only two forms that they are gauranteed to accept is cash or travellers cheque. So im going bringing cash. I reckon ill burn through it fairly quick anyway what with having to pay deposits for houses and rent and stuff as soon as I get there. I was under the impression it was hard to set up a bank account over there, am I wrong?
    Not bothered on taking the whole gap-year-to-Oz...would rather do a RTW trip, focusing on C/S America and Asia. Would love to see Africa at some stage too.
    I plan on doing something similar next year if I can get the money together, with an ex-SU guy you might know actually (well at least know of him, not sure how well you'd him!!). Plan at the moment is something along the lines of: Thailand, Singapore, Australia (Work and build up some money again maybe even get a "real" job for a while I hear they are crying out for engineering types) then onto New Zealand, possibly Fiji or somewhere, finally Tokyo then home. Lots of saving to do if I want to do that though since flights alone will cost about 2.5k. Would love to do Africa and C/S America but ill do it at some other stage!!

Now I think its time for bed only just in from cramming for a test iv got tomorrow at 9:(

P.S. any J1 tips anybody could give me would be great. I think there is a few other people on here on J1s too this year so ye would be helping us all out!

Fast_Mover wrote:
    Would love to see Africa at some stage too

Depends where ya go really. Tchad is rather ****. Malawi is supposed to be fantastic. Avoid Zimbabweh atm. Uganda not bad, Tanzania too.

Just a few places off the top of my head. I'll get back to ya on what Kenya is like in a few weeks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Myself and my boyfriend are planning on going to Oz and buying a vintage VW camper when we get there. We absolutely love vintage VW anything, or vintage anything. Anyway. we're going to drive around Australia for 9 months, just picking up odd jobs here and there and living in the van. Then we're going to ferry across to main land Europe and spend 4 months driving through there, back to Ireland!

This is all after my year as PPO obviously ;) ...And I'm doing a H.Dip. too so I'm pretty much set for 3 or 4 years after college. No real life for me. Although I still have another year of college :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sissorino

On the plus side, Sie werden sehr effizient, wenn Sie kommen zurück, no school will be able to refuse giving you a job with your staunch German teaching methods.

Grammar. :) Sie werden sehr effizient, wenn sie zurückkommen.

Advertisement