Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Random Ramblings About UL Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

cooperguy wrote: »
    Im going up the road from there. Huntington Beach is where im headed. Cant wait:D According to USIT you could be asked to prove you have $950 to set yourself up. Seemingly the only two forms that they are gauranteed to accept is cash or travellers cheque. So im going bringing cash. I reckon ill burn through it fairly quick anyway what with having to pay deposits for houses and rent and stuff as soon as I get there. I was under the impression it was hard to set up a bank account over there, am I wrong?
    Mate of mine was there last year; I'll ask him. Have you accomm sorted or a hostel for the first few nights?

We had no probs whatsoever setting them up with WaMu (Washington Mutual). They were crying out for us to pass on the word to other J1ers. Really easy to set up the a/c - afair it was easier than Ireland: didn't need a proof of address, just needed passport/visa. No hassle at all with it and was dead handy cos got an ATM/debit card as well with it. And a cheque book. Yes, a cheque book. Never used that though. :rolleyes:

Oh, TARGET IS YOUR FRIEND! :D You'll find one; we (and pretty much every student we met) got airbeds for $20 and pillows for $5. Purrrffect :Dand a great way to píss off a housemate is to deflate one right before bedtime :D. Sunscreen: you will need it. If you're fair (like me) factor 50 is the least you'll need; you'll get down to 30 by the end of the summer - maybe even 25. Make sure it's both UVA/UVB: can get it much cheaper over there so don't bother bringing any. In fact now that you're at your packing stage: pick out everything you're thinking of bringing, then pack half it and leave the other half behind. :pac: Seriously! You will not see one cloudy day! Bring one pair (may two, so :p) of jeans and one hoody. Other than that beach shorts and tees! And you can get a lot of that over there too cheaper than here.

If you are gonna travel, go to San Diego, go to LA, go to San Fran but if you go only one place: GO TO VEGAS!!! Vegas is like something you'll never see again. If you do get there, I'd seriously recommend a day trip to the Grand Canyon: unbelievable. We got cheaper tix online for about $80 (that includes 5 hour bus there, back, lunch, and guide the whole way pointing stuff out on the bus) which were about ~$20 cheaper than anywhere selling them in Vegas itself. Oh yeah, Vegas is hot. Desert hot. It's like stepping into an oven. Really, the air is just that hot air. It's an experience!

Internal flight are dead cheap - use them. Or if someone has a full licence you can hire a car (some firms only deal with 25+, but some will give to under 25s with a loading...When we hired it was something like $20 loading!! So not too bad!).

I'm guessing you're 21? If you're not, it will be a hard summer...well in San Diego anyway (and especially Pacific Beach where we were) they scrutinized passports - UV lights, the lot! A friend of ours came over for a 3 week holiday and at the local bar we were messing going, 'ahh her passport's fake' cos the bouncers were recognising us at that stage. They smiled. And then gave her the third degree; including making her sign her signature and spell her whole name and all this! :eek: Just something to be wary of - bring your passport out, not a driving licence: they think they're fake automatically!

With you Social Security no. it's a bitch... you gotta have an address before you can register for it and you need the number before you can get a job. Some places will take you on before having a number (once you show them the proof that you've applied for it), but very few. It can take a few weeks to get it which is a wreck head, but then you'll have it for life.

Argh, I could give you so many more tips if you were going to San Diego (including a fantastic waterpark!!).

You'll have a savage time; the Americans are really friendly and they love the Irish (except the cops and bouncers who abhor us...may be justifiable...). Forget about finances; they'll sort themselves out and if you need to go into debt then do...you can pay it back when you're 30 and earning but you won't be able to do all this stuff then, so do it now.
    I plan on doing something similar next year if I can get the money together, with an ex-SU guy you might know actually (well at least know of him, not sure how well you'd him!!).

Oooh, who?
    Plan at the moment is something along the lines of: Thailand, Singapore, Australia (Work and build up some money again maybe even get a "real" job for a while I hear they are crying out for engineering types) then onto New Zealand, possibly Fiji or somewhere, finally Tokyo then home. Lots of saving to do if I want to do that though since flights alone will cost about 2.5k. Would love to do Africa and C/S America but ill do it at some other stage!!

After Dimbleby last night I started planning my route across Europe/Asia. I was in Warsaw for my Erasmus and bussed it to Vilnius and then got the train from there to St Petersburg, then from St Pete to Moscow and then from there back through Belarus to Warsaw. Trains. Are. Amazing. Fact. Really fantastic experience. Granted, the longest I was on one was 24 hours (Moscow-Warsaw) but it was an unreal way of seeing the countryside. Esp in January, so everywhere was just blanketed in white. But anyway my plan would be to stop off loads, not just in the big cities but in some little towns as well...just to get a real insight into Russia. Haven't decided whether to go Trans-Manchurian/Mongolian yet but I think Mongolia is supposed to be pretty nice so might go that way, then on to Beijing...trek around China a bit before making my way to Shanghai and then cross to Osaka and up to Tokyo. I was originally thinking about 5-6 weeks but I'm thinking of extending it to about 8 so that I can really allow for diversions and going off the beaten track if I feel like it. It'll take a looootttttttttttt of planning, cos of smelly Russian train rules but I'm hoping to go fully independent rather than through an agency...So, me is learning Ruski for the year :pac:
    kaimera wrote: »
    Depends where ya go really. Tchad is rather ****. Malawi is supposed to be fantastic. Avoid Zimbabweh atm. Uganda not bad, Tanzania too.

Just a few places off the top of my head. I'll get back to ya on what Kenya is like in a few weeks.

Uganda I'd like to see, and Zambia and S. Africa. I'd love to do an African version of the trans-Siberian, but I don't think one exists!!!! :D I've a cousin living in S.A.: I might start communicating with her! :D
    ergonomics wrote: »
    This is all after my year as PPO obviously ;)

Hope you have a campaign manager sorted........ :pac:
    Although I still have another year of college :mad:

Don't rush it!! :eek:

I have just seen how long my last post was. I am incredibly sorry. Damn dancing fingers! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Peteee wrote: »
    It's not so bad, you'll have lots of money and umm... well, you can buy stuff with money. Whoever said you cant buy hapiness was looking in the wrong shop!
    Happiness!;)
    rmacm wrote: »
    Come to Dublin I'm sure us Alumni could introduce you to new levels of depravity.
    Well there's a high chance that I could be living in Dublin myself come September as alot of jobs advertised seem to be for there..
    Oooh! Where were you?
    The Gambia and Senegal.
    Good things come to those who wait, right? :o
    Hopefully!:)
    I'll get back to ya on what Kenya is like in a few weeks. :)
    Luck duck! You better do a safari while you're there!! At home in your natural evironment and what not!:p
    sissorino wrote: »
    Grammar. :) Sie werden sehr effizient, wenn sie zurückkommen.
    Damn you for getting there before me! Now I can't show off my German skills!:cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Anyone heading out tonite?

Keeping the African theme, sure Trooms or Icon have sanitary conditions comparable to third world countries on certain nights if its busy. Get ya prepared for your safari and whatnot.

Or if your require futher information on Africa the bathroom attendant in the womens bathroom in Mollys is from one of the countries there.
    Had a great chat one night to her about their traditional african food (domoda/benechin) and how gorgeous I thought it was!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

sissorino wrote: »
    Grammar. :) Sie werden sehr effizient, wenn sie zurückkommen.

The joys of using Google Translator, I should have done German instead of French.
    Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Well there's a high chance that I could be living in Dublin myself come September as alot of jobs advertised seem to be for there..

It's not so bad living up here, give myself and a few of the others a shout for a pint if you do move up.

cson wrote: »

Alas, my shackles will not be untied until tomorrow and then I shall be freeee, freeeeeeee, freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D
    Or if your require futher information on Africa the bathroom attendant in the womens bathroom in Mollys is from one of the countries there.
    Had a great chat one night to her about their traditional african food (domoda/benechin) and how gorgeous I thought it was!

Ah yes I think I know the lady. I engaged in a 30-minute drunken conversation (eh, she was the conversation, I was the drunken so I'm sure I was just rambling) with her once about Africa and my longing to go there. I wouldn't mind volunteering for a bit considering the whole Red Cross/medic thing I have going on, but a lot of volunteer orgs are profit-based and I do not want to pay an organisation to volunteer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The joys of using Google Translator, I should have done German instead of French.

It's not so bad living up here, give myself and a few of the others a shout for a pint if you do move up.
    Look at you with your self.wh0rage :rolleyes:

:pac:

The joys of using Google Translator,.
    I perfer using www.Babelfish.com for translation myself!;)
    I should have done German instead of French..
    Yeah, you should have, to think we cuda had german conversations if I moved up to Dublin!:D
    Will do! But knowing me now I'll end up in shitty Laois or something!:p

OoOo t'is lookin' like BBQ weather out there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

cson wrote: »

I could be "persuaded" to go for a pint. :)
    I wont make the Lodge/Town though, I'm being sensible this week, especially after the weekends carry-on...I wont be going back to Costello's again anytime soon!! :mad:

Will do! But knowing me now I'll end up in shitty Laois or something!:p

Dont knock it until you've tried it!!

Ah who am I kidding....20 years living there, and I cant stand going back that often anymore, except for a good pint of Ale :)

Plantation country is Laois.

Out abroad in the pale.

Shure ya cudden be goin' near it :cool:

This shaggin' good weather better stay for the rest of the week and summer too if it knows what's good for it.

Right, this should spark off an inferno so... My last module is about Irish Travellers. So, who has something to contribute about Travellers to aid my study (or not)?! I'm sure there are views out there! *stirs the pot with my big wooden spoon* :pac:

We did alot about Irish Travellers and their education back in 2nd year sociology..Can't rememeber any of it now im afraid..

This shaggin' good weather better stay for the rest of the week and summer too if it knows what's good for it.

Right, this should spark off an inferno so... My last module is about Irish Travellers. So, who has something to contribute about Travellers to aid my study (or not)?! I'm sure there are views out there! *stirs the pot with my big wooden spoon* :pac:

<beginclearlyinflamatorypost>

I think they should all be dragged out onto some isolated island somewhere and nuked from orbit. Just in case anyone is wondering yes I'm quite partial to the idea of nuking things from the safety and comfort of some kind of space station in orbit of a planet.

Failing that I do know someone who'll give you a good price on some carpets, gates and dags boss (and no he doesn't work in Costingtons of Springfield).

</endclearlyinflamatorypost>

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

We did alot about Irish Travellers and their education back in 2nd year sociology..Can't rememeber any of it now im afraid..

Ah now, there can't be that much to remember! :pac: Most dont even get no edumacashun.

Ah I knew you'd be the first to respond, Rory (well, technically F_M was, but her post was helpful). :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Ahhh! Help! I have an exam at 4 and it literally just got moved to the gym in the PESS building. Can anyone tell me where it is exactly? The gym, not the building. I know I'll probably be able to find it myself but the less stress the better methinks.

Meh my freakishly predictable nature will be my downfall :P

To be honest I'm not sure if I have anything helpful to offer, most if not all of my experience of travellers (from school to present day) perpetuates the stereotypical view that people have of them. I believe Diarmuid pointed out that peoples perceptions of travellers are often formed by their encounters with the loudest and unfortunately most disruptive element of the traveller community.

In the front door of the PESS building and down the stairs directly ahead of you then turn left if I remember correctly, as far as I remember it's down there but I could be (probably am) wrong so you should probably wait till someone who remembers their way there to let you know.

• Advertisement

Ahhh! Help! I have an exam at 4 and it literally just got moved to the gym in the PESS building. Can anyone tell me where it is exactly? The gym, not the building. I know I'll probably be able to find it myself but the less stress the better methinks.

Go into the PES building through the main entrance, go down the stairs on the left, and the GYM and SPHALL are down there, afaik the GYM is the room on the left then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Thanks a million. I'll be back later to rant about how utterly stupid it is to change an exam 2 hours before it starts. :mad:

The gym is (AFAIK) in the PESS building. It'll be down the stairs on the left as you walk in. Theres two big halls, one is the gym and one is the SPHALL, dunno which is which but there'll be plenty of people down there anyway.

EDIT: Beaten like an austrian daughter kept in a basement for 24 years. Curses to the both of ye!

At the end of third year and you've not had an exam in the PESS yet?! :eek:

The gym is the one on the left after you go down the stairs. There'll be signs up with the module codes anyway, but it is the left one. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Ya, the gym is the one on the left after you go down the stairs.

Good luck in the exam.

sports hall, down the stairs, to the left is the (ob)gyn

I wanted to be late to the party like Pete, Aoif & Brian :pac:

sports hall, down the stairs, to the left is the (ob)gyn

I wanted to be late to the party like Pete, Aoif & Brian :pac:

"Aoif"? "Aoif"? Hmmmmmmmm.... :pac:

"Aoif"? "Aoif"? Hmmmmmmmm.... :pac:
    Sorry, as Pete told me today its, "eeefffff"

Bollox, its 'Aoife', It's not that hard to type out her whole name you know!

Saying is all well and good, but these forums follow written conventions!

• Advertisement

It's what?! :eek:

Stop sabotaging my name! As my Facebook says, the following are permitted: "Aoife, Aoifs, Breenie, Chief, Chiefie, Chief Breenie, Beeeenieeeee (followed by a slapping of the forehead with an open palm)...like below". :cool:
    slapheadjk3.th.jpg

Advertisement