Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Random Ramblings About UL Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Its what it says on the tin .. an open day allowing people to see the college and see if they would like to go there.

Now.. i dont know if you attended the open day for UL when you were deciding but I can imagine that you wouldnt like to badged that way..

We could point out that as a first year in October you are still getting used to the place :p

At least the open day, is not in January like it used to be, when you were studying for exams, loads of people tromping through the library or the labs.. And thats when exams were after christmas..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Some random memories of UL:

- Mini breakfasts in the Paddocks
    - Free finger food on friday evenings in the Scholars
    - Some guy randomly shouting "Jesuuuuuuuus!" at the top of his lungs in the library and getting lead away by security
    - Bushrunning (don't ask)
    - Out of tune pianos in the C block
    - Dropping bouncy balls from the top floor of the CSIS into the atrium
    - Catching couples shagging in the Jonathan Swift, twice
    - Drunkenly sending "net send" messages to technophobes in the Vax labs, telling them to log off, and watching them log off :D
    - ****e coffee, beer and music in the Stables
    - Watching everyone go ecstatic over The Frames for the fourth time in one year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

dK1NG wrote: »
    Is there any need for that in all fairness?!:(

...There are more pupils here from outside Limerick, so why confine yourself to the areas you mentioned?

Cson, next time you're in your law lecture take a look around you. You might be surprised to find hte person sitting behind you is from Southill/ Moyross/ Weston etc etc.:)

Hear, hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

cornbb wrote: »
    - Drunkenly sending "net send" messages to technophobes in the Vax labs, telling them to log off, and watching them log off :D

classic

the net send has been disabled this year as far as i know tho...........in csis anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

PeakOutput wrote: »
    classic

the net send has been disabled this year as far as i know tho...........in csis anyway
    I fucking hate net.sender plonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

kaimera wrote: »

Says the person who wrote a batch file to automatically send the things out! :rolleyes::p

Peteee wrote: »
    Says the person who wrote a batch file to automatically send the things out! :rolleyes::p
    Yea to a few close friends ya tool. Clearly you forgot that and completely missed the point that I was referring to csis sending.

kaimera wrote: »

In the csis it was brutally annoying but in the vax, sending a net send to some clueless bebo-browsing business student saying "This is God - please log off now" and watching them log off and leave was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.

cornbb wrote: »
    In the csis it was brutally annoying but in the vax, sending a net send to some clueless bebo-browsing business student saying "This is God - please log off now" and watching them log off and leave was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.
    They deserve it tho :)

Glad you guys didnt have the whole public folders in exchange thing... man the fun we had when we found the loophole ini that one..

Also getting paid a fiver by some pure clueless Euro Stud to repair the computer when the all black screen saver came on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cson, next time you're in your law lecture take a look around you. You might be surprised to find hte person sitting behind you is from Southill/ Moyross/ Weston etc etc.:)

Learning how to escape prosecution and all that ;)

Ah no seriously, I'll hold my hands up and say I generalised but there's no denying there was a large whack of skobies only there to hassle and possibly rob people. I saw a few groups going over to secondary school kids and hassling them. They could have been from Castletroy for all I know but mention Limerick and anti-social behauvior to anyone around and you know what place they'll think of. Media's fault for the most part.

Back to the grindstone tomorrow :p:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I usually know my way round UL but cant for the life of me figure out where the Vax are! Where are they?

Venus Labs... A block downstairs on the ground floor..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Oh right, I know where the Venus labs are. Where did the name Vax come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Back before Bebo, the interwebs, and the invention of time, there were DEC Vax computers in there... I assume. The "Vax labs" seem to refer to the two other labs behind Venus too - Callisto and Io.

Thanks to upgrading to XP, I think they've disabled the Messenger service on all the ITD PCs now :( Good times were had.

E.g.:
    x: 
    net send * hahhahahaahhahahahahahah
    goto x

Yup before the dawn of time that is what existed there and the name has since stuck.. like when they created new offices where the old library used to be, it was still known as the library corridor for a while afterwards

There were 2 people from Moyross in my class and they are absolutely among the most decent people I've ever met.

Holy dead thread resurrection Lazarus, I mean Batman :eek:

Anyway my reason for doing such is; what the hell happened to Java's signs? They're gone.... Is it still Java? Was there a hostile takeover by Campbells "Catering"?

I leave this place for 6 weeks and its gone to ****e already, madness I tells ya!

cson wrote: »
    Holy dead thread resurrection Lazarus, I mean Batman :eek:

Anyway my reason for doing such is; what the hell happened to Java's signs? They're gone.... Is it still Java? Was there a hostile takeover by Campbells "Catering"?

I leave this place for 6 weeks and its gone to ****e already, madness I tells ya!
    Still definitely Java's... Probably stolen or else taken in in fear of being stolen. Must be one of them. :rolleyes:

Another thing aside from the missing Java sign mystery train... Does the UL network block poker sites? Fecking wánkers, I can get it at home but not in Kilmurraaaaaaay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Another thing aside from the missing Java sign mystery train... Does the UL network block poker sites? Fecking wánkers, I can get it at home but not in Kilmurraaaaaaay.
    Possibly ITD's way to tell you to stop gambling?

Possibly ITD's way to tell you to stop gambling?

Possibly not. Cause I can still bet on Paddy Power if I so wish....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm ****ing sick of UL and I've only been back a night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Funkstard wrote: »
    I'm ****ing sick of UL and I've only been back a night.

Go and get ****faced then

yeah yeah I know another thread where I mention alcohol....meh it works for me tbh.

rmacm wrote: »

yeah yeah I know another thread where I mention alcohol....meh it works for me tbh.

Next time there's a BULBs we won't mention it to ya, we'll just shine the bat light up into the sky, but instead of a bat sign, it'll be one of a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Theres some sort of a block on some poker sites (helpful I know:o) but if you look hard enough theres always a way around that!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Anyone been on any of the class reps training weekends? Worth going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Does the UL network block poker sites? Fecking wánkers, I can get it at home but not in Kilmurraaaaaaay.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055230931

klong wrote: »
    Anyone been on any of the class reps training weekends? Worth going?

Yes.

Depends what you consider worthwhile, tbh. Can be useful...But, at the end of it all, it is a weekend in Galway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

rmacm wrote: »

That's the thing. Weather is ****e, no one's going out. I'm ****ing sick of living in Thomond and of that bollocking bridge!

Advertisement