Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are MGs sports cars for girls?

• 30-09-2007 12:41am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'd love an aston martin, but have no money. Are MGs the poor man's sports car (if you can fit into them), or are they sports cars for girls?

I've also posted in motors.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

YES there are for girls, along with the MX5, dont let anyone tell you different.
    the MX5 may be a great drive, but when a mans driving one, it just not right.

You just have to stand on a street conner on a good day and wait till a man drives by in either one. then you see how ridiculous you'd would look in either.

Your only choices are;
    Toyota MR2 1990-1999
    Honda S2000
    Lotus, elan, elise, whatever.
    maybe more, i'm too drunk to think.

IN CLOSING, DONT DO IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I'd love a bottle of remi martin but cant be arsed getting up out of my chair and going to my drinks cabinet to get it. is hennessy or covisier the poor mans remi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

sennas right my brother made the foolish mistake of buying one years ago, he ended up with nothing but abuse and slagging from friends in work and me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thanks Senna and rory - it's something I've always suspected but couldn't seem to get a definitive answer.

I guess if you want a sports car you either need a lot of money or be good at hotwiring.

PS admiralofthefleet, you prefer remi over hennessy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

hennessy every time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Get an Impreza

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The MG F/TF is a little Tony and Guy but I must confess that I do race a 1971 Midget every once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'd love an aston martin, but have no money. Are MGs the poor man's sports car (if you can fit into them), or are they sports cars for girls?

I've also posted in motors.

Hairdresser's car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

The only car I'm interested in is the moped the takeaway guy uses to deliver the goodies on !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Get A mitzi Evo 7 or 8.
    Quicker than most mentioned above - and possibly cheaper.
    And not difficult to get in/out of

Mik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

The old MG's are really good fun to drive. And don't look that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's very hard to find a manly convertible. Anything*with a folding hard-top is out for a start. I can't think of anything contempory beyond an Audi A4 convertible that isn't a bit ginger beer.

*Except for the folding hard top Silvia I'm thinking of dropping a turbo-charged engine into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 thebuyer

i drive an alvis graber....much nicer than an mg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A beard is compusary if owning an old MG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

mate a hot hatch is for u, DO NOT THINK ABOUT.. an MG

I've a SEAT ALTEA FR. so much space.. and kahpow speed. also its a TDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rockandrolldamn

A strange combination of Manly and a Soft top, The Yorky bar of Soft Tops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Why is this invasion from the motors forum continuing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It's very hard to find a manly convertible. Anything*with a folding hard-top is out for a start. I can't think of anything contempory beyond an Audi A4 convertible that isn't a bit ginger beer.

*Except for the folding hard top Silvia I'm thinking of dropping a turbo-charged engine into.

Turbochargers, superchargers, soft-tops anything below a v-8 is for girls. SL-63 (when it comes out) will be THE car. Evo, imprezza etc. pff go tuck your tracksuit into your socks and un-break your voice and drink a tin of red bull while yer at it.

On the other hand ive only ever driven a 1l yaris..... and the recent one was red

enda1 wrote:
    On the other hand ive only ever driven a 1l yaris.

You had no credibility even before you said that. If you've never driven a turbo-charged car around the Nurburgring you don't know what you're missing. You have to work so hard to keep the turbo spinning and the boost up - that's real driving. Turbos are for girls? What planet are you from?

Well i should have been clearer. What I meant was I've only ever owned a yaris. But I've driven other cars. In fact I'm a test car driver so sucks to you!!

And no, turbos suck. Pure driver-car combination is what I'm after so normally aspirated all the way!

I presume you like nitro too. Why not strap a couple of rockets onto the side of yer plastic go kart and be a real man...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Lads, if you want to argue about driving, take it to the feckin motor forum.

Too true, sorry lads.

Buy whatever car your funds provide and as long as your beer belly shows wedged into the steering wheel, then we'll know you're a real man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

The MG F/TF is a little Tony and Guy but I must confess that I do race a 1971 Midget every once in a while. from RObbo.

Do you give him a head start?
    If i find a willing midget of my own can we organise a race?

enda1 wrote:
    In fact I'm a test car driver so sucks to you!!

On what? Playstation? Who taught you English? OMG - I'm having a flame war with a 13-year old. There's a gathering card for this somewhere but I can't be arsed looking. It's almost quitting time and there's poker down the pub.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Get the friggin MG and stop worryin about what people think!!!! who's gives a crap as long as u enjoy driving it

Advertisement