Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40

Options
  • 30-09-2007 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Just wondering does anyone own one ? Am thinking about picking up maybe a 2005 1.8 Petrol if I can find one.

Would 18,000 be unreasonable for one with 30,000 on the clock.

What do people think of it in general ? Nice to drive ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Sounds to me like a good price but check carzone.ie for a comparison.

I think they're a cool car but this ones a little bit small isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€18k for a 2005 1.8 litre, your probably looking at a private sale for that money.

Make sure it you go for the SE model though, that has full leather interior and 17" alloy wheels, the Winter pack is a nice added bonus too, this includes heated seats and headlight washers afaik. Avoid the 1.6 litre petrol and basic S model though.

The car itself is not a bad car being based on the Ford Focus. Downside though I found the rear leg room tight and the boot small and narrow If you need decent space then look elsewhere. Also I have heard the S40 has been suffering from alot of niggly problems so when buying one make sure everything works.

Another thing is that Volvo main dealer servicing is very expensive compared to other cars of similar size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I have an 06 1.8 SE model and find it to be perfect for my needs. It comfortably takes me and three other rugby players plus kitbags, balls and waterbottles.

It's not ideal if you want to get a third passenger in the back though, but it's better than some other cars in that class.

I've been pretty lucky with no problems so far (with the exception of the thermostat showing -15C one day in July).

Another thing to look out for that will help with the resale is built in booster seats at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

No need for boosters seats yet.

How would the boot handle a few golf bags ?

Handling ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 96-04 S40 can accomidate 2 golf bags AND 2(non electric) trollies in the boot. I know, I've done it. However I think the 05 onwards S40 has a slightly smaller boot, but I's still say its possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Jeez do any of you work. Seem to spend all your time playing golf. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

I had a 2006 2.0D that had the brakes fail. It had been back to two main dealers which couldnt find anything.

Then coming up to Newlands cross last July ended up not being able to stop.

Ended up getting law involved. Now driving an Audi

Avoid em like the plague im my opinion

Advertisement