Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flitering Software to prevent kids accessing certain sites

Options
  • 30-09-2007 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Would any of ye recommend software that I can get for my friends kids computer to stop them going onto sites they shouldnt. I set up their broadband last night and with in 10 minutes of one of them looking up wrestling stuff popped up they shouldnt see for another 10 years... at least.

sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, please feel free to move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If they are smart kids, only removing the network cable works.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd agree with the above - they'll just stick a copy of portable firefox on a memory stick. My advice is leave it - they will probably get bored of it in a week.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

for unsuitable pop-ups and adverts I;d suggest using Firefox with adblock as this will stop unsuitable pop-up adverts.

but if their actively looking up stuff, do a search pn google and you'll find plenty of logginh software that will allow you to keep track of what there doing

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

An excellent FREE software: http://www.k9webprotection.com/
    This is a home version of the comercial Bluecoat application. Tis very good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

And yet any pc literate 12 year old can disable any of that software... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I tried NetNanny. Awful piece of software.
    Failed even basic testing.. Didn't even support IE7, when it was rolled-out as an automatic upgrade.. Avoid..

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

thanks guys, these r only beginners, but today was day 2 and they are flying, so I better put some kind of protection on it, dont want to give their mother a heart attach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

ZoneAlarm is doing the trick for me. Well, it doesn't catch absolutely everything but it certainly interferes enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

netnanny working fine for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

K9 is excellent IMHO, and free too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP: are you with eircom? If yes, then try their net protection option. I believe it is an ISP side block. I have never tried it though but maybe someone here can comment on it. If you are not with eircom then contact your isp and see if they offer a similiar package.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Turn on Googles Search Filtering.

Also some routers have filters built in which can be set-up to block sites.

Advertisement