Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Throttling BitTorrent?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 prof_darkins

Well i didnt tell them who i was when i rang, so thats not what made the difference for me anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

They are probably testing the port throttling system. It seems to have been a success. Uh-oh! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aky

Hi guys.

Unfortunately i have the same problem with my download/upload speed when i try to use torrent client.
    Could one of you explain me how to set up Utorrent or Azureus with SSH. I know i have to use putty but nothing else.

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Aky: you need another box configured outside of your ISPs network to 'SSH' into and then out through that.

Ok, my speeds are ****ed again. Now stuck down in the 60s. God damn it. A box outside the network? I'm not sure what you mean. does that mean we have to own a server to use SSH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Well I wouldn't use the word server as it doesn't technicially have to be but ... you need to SSH into a box outside the ISP network in order for it to work.

I found this link about SSH configurtion : http://whalesalad.com/2006/08/27/tunneling-bittorrent-over-ssh/
    but unfortunately didn`t help. My download speed is still around 5-10kb/s which is really bad :mad: I don`t know what to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Ok, my speeds are ****ed again. Now stuck down in the 60s. God damn it. A box outside the network? I'm not sure what you mean. does that mean we have to own a server to use SSH?

Stuck down in the 60's!, I can't get past 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Speeds are ok for me. They were crap though a few days ago (when you created this thread)

I'd rather be able to connect to the Playstation network than get good torrent speeds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Aky wrote:
    I found this link about SSH configurtion : http://whalesalad.com/2006/08/27/tunneling-bittorrent-over-ssh/
    but unfortunately didn`t help. My download speed is still around 5-10kb/s which is really bad :mad: I don`t know what to do now.

where are ye ssh'ing to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Folks

Im using our company mail server which requires SSL on ports 995 and 465 (i think)

My mails nearly always have large graphics attache 5-30 MB. It worked brilliantly up until last weekend then just kept bombing out saying in outlook some error about SSL and for me to contact my ISP i.e. IBB

Do you think that these problems are connected? If so this is definitly not on as i purely went with IBB due to 2 meg upload and could send huge files very fast etc.

Could be back to Digiweb metro for me if this carries on.

BTW tried my laptop with metro and sent a 35 meg file no problem then switched over to IBB and same error

Any ideas?

You see here I'm getting confused. Whereas my http was good whilst my torrents were bad last week, at the minute my http is running at 1meg, (not great for a 3meg connection) and my torrents (from a private tracker with excellent seeding) are disasterous again. To be honest I don't really mind if this is just a bad patch the IBB network is going through, its not that I'm in any mad hurry, it's just that if this is all part of a crackdown on p2p, I'm not interested IBB anymore, and I would imagine many others would feel the same.

dwayne, I have no idea about how such a link would exist, but the timeline sure seems the same.

ntlbell wrote:
    where are ye ssh'ing to?
    ssh.silenceisdefeat.org

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

I must try rapidshare over the weekend and see, I saw in the sticky about NTL that someone changed utorrent port to 80 and encrypted the traffic and that worked for them. I had no joy though !!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Aky wrote:
    ssh.silenceisdefeat.org

Unless you've got explicit permission to be routing your bittorrent traffic through them, you're probably going to have a very unhappy sysadmin getting in contact with you shortly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd just like to point out here that Bit Torrent is not illegal. I used it to download Openoffice a few days ago, and have often pulled Linux ISO's off it. So IBB have no business using a cloak of perceived illegality to throttle it.

Red Alert wrote:
    I'd just like to point out here that Bit Torrent is not illegal. I used it to download Openoffice a few days ago, and have often pulled Linux ISO's off it. So IBB have no business using a cloak of perceived illegality to throttle it.

No one ever stated it was throttled to prevent illegal downloads.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Point being that they have no business throttling it at all and that the throttling is indefensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 raven33

im using 2mb breeze.

download speeds on dc++ (p2p i used to use) is terrible, not even a 1kb/s. switched to utorrent, but nothing changed - random 10-40kb/s. it started to happen about 3 weeks ago........

if ibb is throttling p2ps why any emails hasnt been sent to users to inform them about that?

i think ill switch to imagine soon. why would i need 2mbit connection and be limited to 900k/s?

The thing is, IBB have probably brought the throttling in under "network maintenance", in order to provide a good quality of service to all the poor people who arent hogging the bandwidth with torrents 247. I don't think that they need to inform customers about moves like this. Hopefully though some next gen encryption should sort the problem. hurry up utorrent 2.0!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Chaosopher

What he said was firstly, no IBB do not block any ports or throttle traffic. However, in extreme cases, they will start to throttle p2p traffic for specific "heavy users", but throttling did not happen across the board. He wouldnt tell me what constituted heavy usage, and I doubt that there is a publically released threshold. Now for the bad bit though. Once a customer is red flagged for heavy p2p use, throttling comes into play, and he said that was permanent. Bloody hell. What to do. SSH I suppose? Can anyone fill me in on traffic tunnelling? Lets band together. Us against them. Radiohead are on our side, btw.

It seems pretty harsh to throttle without any prior warnings whatsoever, and with no indication as to what exactly constitutes heavy usage. I don't recall recieving any emails, nor am I downloading huge files 24/7.
    I just want my 2/2 connection back :rolleyes:
    So we're basically all walking on eggshells, wondering whether or not we're in for some throttling. And as for permanent...farkin hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Bambaata

im deffo been restricted anyway! nothing is moving at any great speed but ftp downloading id flying! getting ull 220 on 2mb connection and 240 maxing out with other dl's but 5 torrents combined are 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

There was some downtime today. Don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

My speeds have been al over the place recently. It's back to being ****e once again. Think I'll give it another two weeks and if it doesn't improve I'll just go back to DigiWeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Bambaata

anyone here work for them by any chance that wouldn't have to make themselves known but might be able to shed some light on the situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Has anyone tried using port 80 with encryption on Utorrent. Once I did that I never had problems where as before we were limited to 30KB/s Max.

They say they don't traffic shape on their website so they have no defense but at the same time I don't use bittorrent a lot, its the others in the house.

I've had problems with Xbox Live last night with connection constantly dropping to the point that I gave up playing. This only happened once before and speeds dropped to 50KB/s for us that day but great service ever since that until last night. Hopefully its okay, I'd hate for it to go to crap as I just got Halo 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 raven33

i called ibb yesterday, spoken with guy, who claimed that ibb isnt throttling any downloads. he told to wait for 3 days - ibb will investigate my connection.

fingers crossed, but frankly, i dont thing it'll change.

dc plus plus transfer speed now: below 1kb/s, and dropping...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

The thing is, IBB have probably brought the throttling in under "network maintenance", in order to provide a good quality of service to all the poor people who arent hogging the bandwidth with torrents 247. I don't think that they need to inform customers about moves like this. Hopefully though some next gen encryption should sort the problem. hurry up utorrent 2.0!
    Encryption won't really help , some helpful lads have come up with a "solution" for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Chaosopher

raven33 wrote:
    he told to wait for 3 days - ibb will investigate my connection.

fingers crossed, but frankly, i dont thing it'll change.

dc plus plus transfer speed now: below 1kb/s, and dropping...

My connection's also being monitered.

How reassuring..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

Now I'm definitely going to call in the morning, I gave up on the torrents after not being able to get more than 1kB/s :mad: so I gave rapidshare a whirl.

All was going well til tonight when i noticed my speeds were down to 5kB/s, from 240kB/s. :confused:

As we said already if we had been given a warning about this then we could have monitored it.

Because we had no way of knowing what usage we had then it was impossible to monitor, I d/l a bit but I usually u/l to a 3:1 ratio but I could have cut back on my bandwidth usage if it was going to be an issue.

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote:
    Point being that they have no business throttling it at all and that the throttling is indefensible.

no buisnesS? as it's their network/infrasrcutrue they're an entitled to do as they wish, you sir can then choose to accept it and pay or move on...

Advertisement