Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting 360 to wireless pc

• 30-09-2007 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi there, I have a pc downstairs in my house to which I was able to connect my 360 to using an ethernet cable. It shared the internet connection of the PC and I could join live and stream music and video.

This was almost plug and play when I set it up the first time ( just had to specify in the network properties that the pc would share internet with all computers on my network as far as I can remember) My problem is that when I set this up again 2 nights ago nothing would work. No live connection and no streaming!

I am sure that I am missing something, I may have missed an easy step in the setup of this configuration! I tried for nearly 2 hours messing about with different settings and cant even remember what it way it was set to begin with!

Does anybody use this setup and have any ideas as to what I should set the ip address, gateway etc to? Is there any settings that the pc should have enabled / disabled?

I really should have written it all down when I got it going the first time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

i was able to set it up on my vista laptop, only for internet connection to use xbox live though. Are you ussing vista or xp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Are they seeing each other? Do you have a firewall turned on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jskinny_de

Firstly, I am using xp.

Secondly, The xbox is showing up in media player (allow media sharing) but this may be there from the last time I had it set up. When I test connections on the 360 it fails at the ip stage.

The setup I had last time was something like

pc ip xxx.xxx.xxx.1
    360ip xxx.xxx.xxx.100

I cant remember what the Subnet or default gateway were set to but i think they were set the same as the pc.

As for firewall, the windows firewall is on and I haven't changed any settings on this or my router since the last time I had it working (as far as I can remember)

I don't remember changing any of these setings before the other night, so it's very frustrating trying to figure this out!

Thanks for your input!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Have you looked at this?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/windowsics.htm

I dont use ICS (ethernet cable into a switch into the router/modem) but if its not getting an IP address it sounds like your PC is not assigning it. Maybe needs some DHCP settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I connect through my laptop on wireless with xp and an ethrenet connection with no issues currently.

It did take a bit of jiggling around to sort this.

From memory. Try restore the factory settings of your x.box (this wont affect anything on your hard-drive ,saved games, downloaded content etc.)

On the Lan connection you are setting up between xbox and PC have a mess with the settings. Allow your internet connection to be shared over the LAN. Have a look in the properties of the connection and allow the DCHP part of the connection. You should also see specific boxes that have to be ticked to allow your x.box. I'm thinking all from memory but I think that i just ticked all boxes and it worked.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

i had the same problem and it turned out i had somehow turned of ics. Click start, go to control panel, click Network and Internet Connections then click Network Connections. Next, right click on the connection you use to connect to the internet. Click properties, then advanced and make sure 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection' is selected.

Advertisement