Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for veg boarder?

Options
  • 30-09-2007 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭

At the moment I have a veg patch roughly 8x3mtrs and the boarder is one of those wooden types that you spike in the ground however they are falling apart now after about 5 years and want something a bit longer lasting. Short of using railway sleepers, are there good selections of used planks available from reclamation yards to build a surround? anyone tried other solutions?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I've used scaffolding planks for years now. As long as you treat them with a good quality preservative they will last a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

9" x 2" are `excellent for building Raised Bed for vegetable beds. Be very careful which treated boards you use ie avoid boards with creosote etc. Best go with Pressure treated boards.

Secure boards at internal ends to 2 x 2" stakes with brass screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I concur with the comments on the Scaffolding boards, really good.
    Cut to the length you want and the width goes deep enough for most .

Getting 3 for €10 secondhand in a local building supplier.

Redman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

9" x 2" are `excellent for building Raised Bed for vegetable beds. Be very careful which treated boards you use ie avoid boards with creosote etc. Best go with Pressure treated boards.

Secure boards at internal ends to 2 x 2" stakes with brass screws.

Cheers, I had to look up what "creosote" was, sounds nasty

From Wikipedia
    Long-term exposure to low levels of creosote, especially direct contact with the skin during wood treatment or manufacture of coal tar creosote-treated products has resulted in skin cancer and cancer of the scrotum. Cancer of the scrotum in chimney sweeps has been associated with long-term skin exposure to soot and coal tar creosotes. Animal studies have also shown skin cancer from skin exposure to coal tar products.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement