Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Falcon 65nm CPU 360s are out.

• 30-09-2007 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

The latest standard of the 360 is finally out in stores starting with the Halo 3 branded 360s. All models will start to ship with the new 65nm core CPUs. The first batch will be lot numbers #734.

They may take a while to fliter to here though as some people are still getting new '06 production models here.

Story link at.
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news.php?id=191

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Could people check they're Halo3 editions to see what version they have, the lot number should be written on the box, an inspection with a flashlight should also show if it has the copper pipe or not as the 65nm dont. I wanna pick up a 360 but don't wanna wait too long for the 65nm to filter through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Whats the advantage, I mean does this news reduce manufacturing costs? Does it reduce power requirements, will it solve the overheating issues, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Whats the advantage, I mean does this news reduce manufacturing costs? Does it reduce power requirements, will it solve the overheating issues, what?

@ciderman: reduce cost - yes eventually, reduce power req - yes (according to a simple test by 33%), reduce overheating - doubt it, GPU needs to be 65nm, imho.

I've read the 2 rather large threads relating to this over on xbox.com forums.
    A wee summary:
    From what is being said, a lad got a halo3 edition console then noticed the heatsink on the CPU was different (no copper pipe, just a finned block). They also saw a different version number on the CPU (A01, not the original A00, afair). They jumped to the conclusion that "oh its a 65nm CPU cos it needs less cooling". Fair enough, but a huge assumption. So someone else from the same lot number, checked theirs for power consumption. They found it was drawing about 33% percent less. OK, sounds feasible now (65nm CPU will run cooler and use less power). There were also people posting that their consoles were running cooler (NO proof whatsoever....yet).

OK so it looks like they have 65nm processor (for me, until I see a picture of spliced CPU from one of these box's under a SEM, I'm still suspicious).
    Anyway people should know before they rush out to find one, the CPU can be 65nm all it wants, what you should be waiting for is the 65nm GPU, hopefully sometime in 2008, as its the supposed reason they run so hot and are the supposed cause of the RROD.

So don't just go buying one for a 65nm CPU.......unless they eventually decide to get a quiet DVD drive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

On another forum I post on some guy's Halo box gave him the RROD. So I guess Falcon isn't the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Not every Halo 3 360 has them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah the GPU is the main issue with the 360, it has a crap heatsink and no air circulation over the fins on the heatsink to keep it cool, if you have one open and touch the top of the heatsink you won't be able to keep your hand on it as it get so fekin hot, I'd be interested to see if they've done any re-design on the GPU heatsink to get it running cooler.

Snake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My brother repaired a guys 360 that suffered the ring of death.
    He opened her up, remounted the GPU, then "baked" the internals by disconnecting the fan and allowing the interior to heat up and fix and flaky solder, then reconnect the fan and bolt her back together again, instant working 360 again.
    Of course it would have been easier to just get MS to replace it!

Yeah did that myself, just warn your brother that he might need do some adjustment on the screws in a couple of weeks and do another re-bake on the GPU, I did the same fix but got the check screen back after 6 weeks, re-did the process and its working fine again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

A friend picked up the Halo edition but it's lot 732. According to the posts though only lot 734 has been confirmed as having it - doesn't mean that the other Halo lots don't! So my question is how do you tell which it is without opening it up?
    Or linky link on a guide to do so?

I presume it involves peering through the fans but what to look for is the Q.

A friend picked up the Halo edition but it's lot 732. According to the posts though only lot 734 has been confirmed as having it - doesn't mean that the other Halo lots don't! So my question is how do you tell which it is without opening it up?
    Or linky link on a guide to do so?

I presume it involves peering through the fans but what to look for is the Q.

You can't really tell, before you buy, you can get the lot number afaik, but you wouldn't be able to see it.

If you want to check here's a link form the original thread....
    http://forums.xbox.com/15804553/ShowPost.aspx

Oh theres also been reports that lot 734 are not all 65nm CPUs, depends on where it came from. From xbox forums most there are hoping lot 735 on, will be all 65nm CPUs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Is the lot number only on the box or is it also part of the serial number? ie the first 3 digits of the second group of numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

lot numbers are located around the barcode. youll see it if you look.

Right, mines a 735 then (brand new replacement from microsoft) is mine probably a falcon then? it seems to have heatsinks in right places

Right, mines a 735 then (brand new replacement from microsoft) is mine probably a falcon then? it seems to have heatsinks in right places

Is yours a halo edition 360?

center15 wrote:
    Is yours a halo edition 360?

No, but it doesn't have a halo edition to be a falcon as far as i know

No, but it doesn't have a halo edition to be a falcon as far as i know

Not 100% about this but there hasn't been any 360's but some of lot 734 and all of lot 735 of the halo editions confirmed to have the 65nm cpu. It's very possible that any 360 lot 735 has the cpu they've just not made it into the shops yet, which explains that urs came from microsoft. Which model is yours?

center15 wrote:
    Not 100% about this but there hasn't been any 360's but some of lot 734 and all of lot 735 of the halo editions confirmed to have the 65nm cpu. It's very possible that any 360 lot 735 has the cpu they've just not made it into the shops yet, which explains that urs came from microsoft. Which model is yours?

Lot 735. Standard cream colour :)

As Mentioned before, it doesn't really make a difference, its the GPU that needs to be shrunk using the 65nm process as that is the chip that cuases the lockups and 3ROD's, I recently did some cooling mods to the cooling shroud and heatsink and the heat coming out from the GPU fan is extremely hot, this means that M$ should have concentrated on shrinking the GPU die first as its got such a crappy heatsink design and has the most issues it would have made sense for them to fix that first. Anyway I believe they are working on it and we will see 65nm GPU's early next year.

Snake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Hey sexy^

I have to say I woul like the new improved 360 over the sh*tty old one if there is a noise reduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

For the time being, could you just get a regular xbox 360 and once a sufficently quiet elite version comes out. Do an trade-in/upgrade? The question is will the upgrade option be always out there?

LK

• Advertisement

OK just to clarify, if you go into a store and ask for a Premium get them to check if the box says HDMI on the back, if so this has the additional heatpipe coming out of the GPU heatsink and also is almost certain to include the Benq DVD drive, which is extremely quite. These are in stores now, I nearly bought one the other night in my Local Xtravision. I think Game might have stock as well. If it doesn't have the HDMI port on it then its old stock. Hope this helps

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

OK just to clarify, if you go into a store and ask for a Premium get them to check if the box says HDMI on the back, if so this has the additional heatpipe coming out of the GPU heatsink and also is almost certain to include the Benq DVD drive, which is extremely quite. These are in stores now, I nearly bought one the other night in my Local Xtravision. I think Game might have stock as well. If it doesn't have the HDMI port on it then its old stock. Hope this helps

Snake ;)

Thanks

No probs, just make sure they don't try and tell you that the only 360's with HDMI are the Elites or the Halo ones,the Premium should cost you around the 350- 360 mark I know Xtravision are doing a Halo 3 & GOW + Premium for 399.

Snake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

''Jasper'' 360s are on the way, begining August '08. These will have the HDMI, 65nm CPU and now the new 65nm GPU.

So another year to wait untill the proper 360 with potentially no hardware issues arrives.

Has anyone got an elite with 65nm chip yet? I saw an Elite in Smyths lot no. 737 team FDOU. I think there's fairly good chances its an falcom cpu.

center15 wrote: »
    Has anyone got an elite with 65nm chip yet? I saw an Elite in Smyths lot no. 737 team FDOU. I think there's fairly good chances its an falcom cpu.

This help?
    http://www.360drives.com/list

lafors wrote: »

Handy link, there's really there about 737 with 65nm cpu yet...

center15 wrote: »
    Handy link, there's really there about 737 with 65nm cpu yet...

I found one post saying a 737 elite pal wasn't 65nm cpu.
    Doesn't look like there are newer elites with 65nm cpu's anyway (in any region).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads does the Xbox 360 Premium Console have the hdmi connection now ?

• Advertisement

lads does the Xbox 360 Premium Console have the hdmi connection now ?
    Yeah the new stock of them do, think its the ones that say 'Go Pro' on them.

Advertisement