Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cold storage

• 30-09-2007 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This question is directed at the experienced deer stalkers.

To start with I'm a novice stalker, and this is my first season. I've been using a friend's purpose built cold room and I feel as if I'm imposing a bit. The question is this, what are my options when it comes to hanging deer carcasses in order to prevent fly strikes and properly hang the meat?

Jonty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 DJKH

Hi there

If you have a garden shed with power, try and get yourself an old Coke/7UP fridge, to source one of these would not be really difficult!!!

In any case the usual upright display unit is ideal for hanging a small carcass.

You will need to add some sort of hanging device that will take the weight, if you need to puncture the roof, fill the hole with ordinary putty, this will mean that the unit works well.

Hanging the beast in a 4.c cabinet is ideal, avoids decay and keeps the flys off!!!!

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

hi

My first season also. And I was advised as per DJKH ie Coke/7UP fridge.

But I imagine a frame to support the weight would be required - I cant see that a fridge such as that would support that kind of weight hanging from one central point!!

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

kerryman12 wrote:
    hi

My first season also. And I was advised as per DJKH ie Coke/7UP fridge.

But I imagine a frame to support the weight would be required - I cant see that a fridge such as that would support that kind of weight hanging from one central point!!

Best of luck

If you knew somebody handy with a welder they could weld a small frame that would sit in the fridge. Anybody know where you would pick one of those fridges?

Thanks for the info lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Jonty wrote:
    If you knew somebody handy with a welder they could weld a small frame that would sit in the fridge. Anybody know where you would pick one of those fridges?

Thanks for the info lads

Try your local shop/s they often have them lying around and would be glad to get rid of them. They might be able to put you onto the local drinks rep who could probably source one for you too ? They would be OK except after a while they look unsightly in the shop.

Advertisement