Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

24hr Pay+Display in Dublin..

Options
  • 30-09-2007 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Well I found out this existed the hard way. Was helping a friend move a few things last night at about 9 in Dublin 2 and there was no spaces right outside her place so I parked just down a bit on Barrow St. Brought one lot of things down, went up for another came back down and saw three guys standing at my van. Didn't know what they were doing, they all had reflective jackets on, still didn't know what they were doing and I got to the van and they said "you're too late", I said "too late for what?" and they told me I'd been clamped and theeeennnn I copped on why they were at the van in reflective jackets:(

Turns out I was in a 24hr pay+display space, no more than 100 metres away from other spaces that are free after 6.30. This was the first I knew of a 24hr pay+display area, not even in the heart of the city have I seen them before.

I wasn't going to try argue with them but I asked is there anything I could do since I was actively loading my commercial van, they said I could appeal it after I paid, so I rang up, paid and they de-clamped it. They were pretty nice guys, just doing their job and one guy said if I'm going to be loading up for another while, don't ring up and pay yet, wait until I'm nearly finished so I wont have to pay for a parking ticket when it's de-clamped:)

Lesson learned, ALWAYS look at the signs where you're about to park. I still think it's a bit harsh having a 24hr P+D on an empty street but I wonder is there any hope with appealing given the circumstances?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Feck sake, 24hr Pay and Display :rolleyes:
    So we have to pay now to park at 3am? Nonsense.
    Appeal it in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

I got done on the same road (Barrow St). Felt pretty hard done by at the time, but the years have healed the pain somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

They had a field day on the street last night, the guy behind me got clamped and it seemed another few cars a hundred metres or so down the same road got it too. There weren't many cars but I'd say all the drivers, like me, probably though 9pm, grand, park anywhere time! Any idea why this street is 24hr and the likes of Stephens Green isn't?

Think I'll appeal it alright. Don't suppose there's anything anywhere that says if there are no loading bays available, a commercial vehicle can park in a P+D spot for x amount of time if actively loading?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

I know a certain part of crumlin you have to pay for parking up to 1am....
    24 hr parking is new to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Same thing happened to a mate of mine at the start of the summer in Sandymount. He was out for dinner with his girlfriend, came back to his car at about 9/9:30 to find that it was clamped! He just presumed that it was free after 7 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Savman wrote:
    Feck sake, 24hr Pay and Display :rolleyes:
    So we have to pay now to park at 3am? Nonsense.
    Appeal it in writing.
    Yes, it's quite sensible actually in areas which are busy at that time.

Examples:
    Dawson Street
    Harcourt Street
    Camden Street

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cormie wrote:
    I still think it's a bit harsh having a 24hr P+D on an empty street

Probably wouldnt be an empty street if it was free parking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

even Dame street is free after 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ballooba wrote:
    Yes, it's quite sensible actually in areas which are busy at that time.

Examples:
    Dawson Street
    Harcourt Street
    Camden Street
    Why is it sensible? People can still park there, they just have to fork over more money to the Council or whoever. I have seen P&D around Drumcondra that goes until 12 midnight but I think that was something to do with residents getting pissed at local pub goers taking their spaces. Maybe its the same on Barrow Street, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cormie - Didn't comething very similar happen to you only last week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Appealing it on the basis that it shouldn't be 24 hour will do no good. You might appeal on the lack of signage. I read a newspaper article the other day about clamping appeals. The initial appeal is decided by the clamping company (!). If unsuccessful, you can appeal further to some independent body, and have a fair chance of having the fine, or half of it, refunded.

Not your ornery onager

Savman wrote:
    Why is it sensible? People can still park there, they just have to fork over more money to the Council or whoever. I have seen P&D around Drumcondra that goes until 12 midnight but I think that was something to do with residents getting pissed at local pub goers taking their spaces. Maybe its the same on Barrow Street, I dunno.
    Why have paid parking at all? The fee is there to keep the spaces free for those who need to use them. There should be a charge whenever there is sufficient demand.

Anan1 wrote:
    cormie - Didn't comething very similar happen to you only last week?

Yup, how foolish of me to think I was safe on home soil from the wrath of 24hr P+D greed.

As far as I could tell, there's no houses on that street, it was up near the dart station, just opposite Google. And hey, it was effectively being used by a resident anyway!

Actually, now that I think of it, there was a proposal to make my road 24 hour P & D. People were sick of traffic from Landsdowne Road (15 min walk) parking here. Residents are unaffected due to permit system. We objected because we have frequent visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cormie wrote:
    Yup, how foolish of me to think I was safe on home soil from the wrath of 24hr P+D greed.

As far as I could tell, there's no houses on that street, it was up near the dart station, just opposite Google. And hey, it was effectively being used by a resident anyway!
    Would you not just read the signs before parking? Honestly cormie, it's hardly rocket science.

Anan1 wrote:
    Would you not just read the signs before parking? Honestly cormie, it's hardly rocket science.

Sure where's the fun in that :D Nah, seriously, the Dublin one was a kick up the arse so I'll be looking at the signs in future. I always did, just never past 7pm:o

Advertisement