Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad overclock with a Q6600

• 30-09-2007 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

Specs, Q6600 G0 Stepping, Geil PC6400 , Abit AW9D, Arctic Freezer 7 Pro

Arghh this is driving me insane I cannot get this CPU to clock past 3Ghz presently the only stable overclock I get is a miserable 2.7 :( thats with multiplier of 9 @ 1.3v, fsb 300, Mem @ 4,4,4,12 2.0V, Temps at 43 under load. I know this board can do more I had a e4300 @ 3.2GHz, so I am beginning to think the AW9D just does not like quads :mad:

Can anyone tell me what is the problem?

*edit* Damn wrong forum, Mod please move to overclocking\tweaking. Sorry :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Your not goin 2. I had aw9d max & didn't get a great oc on it either (320 fsb) with q6600, had to change mobo. 975 mobos don't fare out 2 well with quads as the chipset is an older one, designed for pentium d and never designed for quads or c2d for that matter. The max oc with a quad & aw9d is 300-320fsb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Abit AW9D :rolleyes:

its the mobo.older chipsets dont see eye to eye with quads.ur best off getting a p35 chipset or the new x38 which clock well with quads.

Ya, even tho the aw9d-max did 400fsb with c2d 4 me, i couldn't get it over 320fsb with a quad. Its upgrade time again :D

p35 mobo ftw, if ya don't wanna wait for x38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

damn my worst fears are confirmed, thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Ya, even tho the aw9d-max did 400fsb with c2d 4 me, i couldn't get it over 320fsb with a quad. Its upgrade time again :D

p35 mobo ftw, if ya don't wanna wait for x38

overclockers already have them http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-092-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=946

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

add more volts? 1.3 seems low , you could push it to 1.4 or 1.47

papu wrote:
    add more volts? 1.3 seems low , you could push it to 1.4 or 1.47

:rolleyes: Ya it does seem low as 1.325v is stock, would your memory be holding you back aswell, what divider is your memory on? Also from my experience the nb on that mobo needs extra voltage, try 1.6-1.65v

Don't expect to get much higher as the mobo wil hit a wall @ 320ish, that is if this 300 isn't your max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

1.3v isn't that low for those clocks, 1.325 is the max vid you can get but most chips will have a lower stock vcore than that. The board isn't going to be able to do much with a quad, just get a cheapish P35 board and you're set. And also an arctic cooling freezer won't hold a quad to great temps, maybe invest in a thermalright U120 extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

thanks for the suggestions but its defiantly the board, I was reading on the Abit forums about lads in the same boat as me :( so i will hold on until the x38s mature a bit and purchase one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

Auvers wrote:
    thanks for the suggestions but its defiantly the board, I was reading on the Abit forums about lads in the same boat as me :( so i will hold on until the x38s mature a bit and purchase one then.

it's not the voltage....like was said above the AW9D-MAX can't clock quads (fsb wise) for it's life...saying 975x is wrong really as some XBX2s could reach around 380fsb so it's not just the chipset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

happily running my quad at 400x9 3.6ghtz daily.
    1.45 volts though as one o f the cores wont padd prime without the extra volts other 3 will pass prime at 1.4 volts..
    watercooling too otherwis i wouldnt be risking the voltages,
    437w pelt is on the way too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

sorry the point of my post was that i'm running a ab9-quad gt which is a p965 chipset..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

P965 was heaven sent for Quads. My Commando did 450-460 for 24*7 and up to 475 for benchmarks.
    At the same time that my previous board (Intel XBX2) was considered amongst the best 975X boards for quads with a max 380 fsb :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

jasperok wrote:
    happily running my quad at 400x9 3.6ghtz daily.
    1.45 volts though as one o f the cores wont padd prime without the extra volts other 3 will pass prime at 1.4 volts..
    watercooling too otherwis i wouldnt be risking the voltages,
    437w pelt is on the way too...
    Damn TEC cooling you don't see that much anymore, will a 437w handle a quad?

Advertisement