Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

southampton

• 30-09-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

so ive just arrived in southampton for a year long masters.

i'll admit the longest i've ever spent in england was two weeks ago when i came for a weekend for a music festival.

there seems to be plenty of museums and stuff to check out, as well as plenty of interesting looking bars, but i'd love if anyone who's been here before could recommend any must-see things, as undoubtedly in a couple of weeks the workload will kick in and i will have very little time for exploring...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

If you get the chance, take a bus or train to Winchester (about 12 miles north of Southampton) and visit the Cathedral (parts of which are over 900 years old), see King Arthur's Round Table in the Great Hall of Winchester Castle, walk by the River Itchen, and go to the many popular pubs.

Southampton was badly bombed in the Second World War and poorly rebuilt in the 1950s. More recently, the WestQuay shopping centre has dominated the city centre. There is a bit of the older town surviving south of the Bargate, and good cafes and restaurants around Oxford Street. I must say, though, that I've never found Southampton very impressive for either culture or entertainment.

Advertisement